Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Do you ever look back and think how the heck did I do all the things I did?

I don't think I did anything particularly amazing, though what I did in my younger years certainly took a lot more energy than I have now. I look at my children and grandkids, and they have an enormous amount

of energy, much more than I have now. But probably not more than I had back in the day. Assuming you're lucky enough to have good health, it's really all just a function of what age you are.

If you don't have some regrets you never left the womb.

I often reflect on that thought. I did so many different things when I was younger and was always wishing I could do even more. But I don't think I enjoyed everything as much as I do now that I am retired. I do less activities but I seem to enjoy them so much more because I have the time now.

Quote Originally Posted by Harp Angel View Post
    I often reflect on that thought. I did so many different things when I was younger and was always wishing I could do even more. But I don't think I enjoyed everything as much as I do now that I am retired. I do less activities but I seem to enjoy them so much more because I have the time now.
    That makes sense.

Yes! Particularly the period when my daughter was finishing her last year of high school. There was regular academics, extra-curricular school stuff, all of the college application process and preparations, activities upon activities, senior year events, etc. etc. Oh and attempting to have a life on top of that--HA HA!t I was a single parent and working full time and so tired I could barely keep my eyes open some nights. I look back and think how on earth did I do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
    Only retired two months. Have you ever looked back on your life and thought how in heck did I do that or achieve the things you did? I find myself doing that and cannot imagine doing them again at this age and time of my life. Now, just the thought of getting up at 6 am and commuting to work seems like something I can never do again. Same with travel. Not interested in catching flights and sleeping on airplanes to arrive in some country late on night and find my hotel. Then wake up and drive to two other countries in Europe during the day and night only to wake up forgetting which country I am in.

Then there are the things I took from bosses that would now result in a nasty confrontation. I also think of my previous work friends and picture myself in their shoes, 30+ something years old and retirement long way off. I feel the beginning of an anxiety attack when I think of being so far from retirement and have to remind myself that I am set for life, and never will have to work again.

Most of all the ambition and competitive I used to have that drove me to be successful, is gone. I no longer like competition and have no desire to do anything bug relax and take life as it comes. I find that I start to get anxiety at times, not because I am retied but because I think I am not. I dream of being a worker bee again and having to do all those things every day of the week for decades to come and I wake up glad that it is only a dream.

Does any of this sound familiar?
    Yes and the worst is bosses. Without bosses work would be a pleasure and much more would be accomplished in my opinion.

How they get to be bosses is beyond me because some of them are completely absence of people skills.

When I moved to another job I was pleasantly surprised by my staff who sent me a card hand written which said. "We wish we were going with you". That stands out for me and one the most pleasant surprises I ever got.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.