Cataract symptoms? Occassional light flashes, see moving things out corner.

Cataract symptoms? Occassional light flashes, see moving things out corner.

Brief flashes of light and or see something moving out of corner of eye. Cataracts? Retina issues?

The good thing it's not real regular yet. But it happens weekly if not daily.
    Last edited by WhatInThe; 09-01-2018 at 10:11 PM.

If you see something "moving" in your eye's, there's a good chance that it is a "floater". If you haven't had a good thorough eye exam...dilation, etc., you might want to consider doing so. Cataracts and Macular Degeneration can be treated, IF diagnosed in their early stages. I had "floaters" about 5 years ago, and my eye doctor recommended a daily Lutein pill and fish oil capsule, and over a few months, that went away....so far. I get the full workup once a year, and it's well worth it...my old Dad had MD in his later years, and it really cramped his lifestyle. Loss of sight, and hearing can really screw up a person's lifestyle.
    It's been Scientifically proven that those who have more Birthdays, Live Longer.

Floaters seen in the peripheral vision, kind of on the side of your head, can be due to dehydration. It happened to me years ago, and drinking more water helped solve the problem. Not sure about the light flashes though. I take Lutein, fish oil and D3 daily, all good for aging eyes.

Funny fish oil is mentioned because that's what I eased up over the last year. Sometime I don't even take one a week. I went with cod liver oil or straight up A or D doses. I'm pretty good on hydration although every now an then I can't seem to drink enough. I did lutien for a while but it was too expensive to keep up and figured my multi's would give something.

Also I've heard conflicting news on fish oil. Heard pop doc say fish oil and/or oils aren't good which one reason I eased up on fish oil although I picked it back up several times a week.

Some people think I could have had an eye stroke or blood clots leading to eye. I check into it further especially if get more persistent.

Floaters are different than flashes of light described here. I have had both. I just ignore them.

the flashes of light out of the corner of my eye was why i went for a check up--it was cataracs and had to have them removed --that took away the flashes of light

Quote Originally Posted by twinkles View Post
    the flashes of light out of the corner of my eye was why i went for a check up--it was cataracs and had to have them removed --that took away the flashes of light
    Now that you mention it, since I had my cataract operation, I no longer get the flashes of light.

The floaters? I notice them sometimes and sometimes I don't. It depends on the setting.

If the flashes of light are like prisms, it may be an ocular migraine. These are not the same as a migraine headache as there is no pain, just weird prisms in the peripheral vision. I occasionally get one after being on the computer for too long. They don't know what causes them and apparently there are no ill-effects from them.

"It isnít pollution thatís harming the environment. Itís the impurities in our air and water that are doing it.
    " -- Dan Quayle

Sometimes I get the feeling too few people go to doctors. If I was seeing flashes that would be my first step. Hint-hint.

Quote Originally Posted by C'est Moi View Post
    If the flashes of light are like prisms, it may be an ocular migraine. These are not the same as a migraine headache as there is no pain, just weird prisms in the peripheral vision. I occasionally get one after being on the computer for too long. They don't know what causes them and apparently there are no ill-effects from them.
    Yeah, I get these too. If you close your eyes and they are still there that's what you are probably experiencing. I've also had cataract surgery and still occasionally get these, so they aren't related to cataracts.
    The only people I fear are those who never have doubts ... Billy Joel (Shades of Grey)

Had similar few year back especially when night driving ,thought at first was street lights blinking but was the following.Eexperiencing flashing lights in the corner of your eye it is a good idea to visit an optometrist as there is a chance you are at risk of a retinal detachment. ... The flashing is caused when the vitreous gel in the centre of the eye shrinks, which tugs on the retina...GET IT CHECKED OUT NOW!
    I get my kicks above the waistline , Sunshine !

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.