Tyler Perry helps former Cosby actor Geofffrey Owens

Tyler Perry helps former Cosby actor Geofffrey Owens

There was recently a story in the news about Geoffrey Owens, who used to be on the Cosby Show. He's been working at Trader Joe's for over a year. Someone took a pic and posted it on Instagram or whatever, and people were "job shaming" him. (He wasn't a main character, and his acting jobs have been sporadic, so he did what he had to do.) He didn't start a GoFundMe account - he worked at a store to help support himself and his family.

I'm not sure how much he got in residuals (can't be much...he wasn't on that long), but apparently it dried up when Bill Cosby got into trouble and the shows were taken off the air.

He went on Good Morning America recently talking about how he had gotten nasty comments and emails. But some celebrities defended him, and Tyler Perry has offered him a job.

https://people.com/tv/geoffrey-owens...rry-job-offer/

I remember Geoffrey Owens.

I was happy to see that Tyler Perry offered him a hand up.

Additionally, rapper Nicki Minaj offered Owens a $25,000 donation as a way to help the actor financially and in response to public shaming of Owens by some media outlets.

Good for him and Tyler Perry.
    I wonder how he feels about the donation from Nicki.

On the 'Cosby Show',Geoffrey's role was the son in law,he married eldest daughter,'Sondra'
    Yesterday on MSNBC show'The Beat with Ari Melber',Geoffrey was a guest.He told Ari the woman who took the picture of him at Trader Joe's,that went viral has apologized privately to him,he accepted her apology.He's moving on Sue
    Walkers Take It All In Strides

Awww way to go Tyler Perry and while Im not overly fond of Nicki Minaj, good for her.
    How on earth people shame others for actually getting off their butt and working is beyond me.
    Who cares what hes doing. At least hes earning money respectfully. People can be so lame @ times.

Quote Originally Posted by hearlady View Post
    I wonder how he feels about the donation from Nicki.
    I always have trouble with these public celebrity donations. Geoffrey seems to be a strong man willing to work to provide for his family That is a most wonderful quality deserving of respect. Tyler Perry offered him a job. I'm glad about that. However, when a celebrity offers a large amount of cash and makes it public it seems more like a self serving gesture: "look at me, look how great I am". I think perhaps giving should sometimes be done in private without fanfare, without praise, without the possibility of causing embarassment to the receiver.
    I didn't say your perfume was too strong, I only said the canary was alive before you got here.

I read an article in todays NYTimes,Geoffrey has another acting role.He will be a guest star on "CSI: New Orleans" episode will air in October.
    He also has a reoccurring role on the Oprah Winfrey Network in TV show'The Haves and Have Nots' for next season.Tyler Perry is the creator of the show.
    Owens in an interview last week with Robin Roberts on 'GMA' said' I've been teaching,acting and directing for over 30 yrs plus,but got to a point where it just didn't add up enough,you've got to do what you've got to do.The job at Trader Joe's provided flexibility that helped me stay in the business'.
    I'm happy for him that he has these new acting jobs Sue
    Walkers Take It All In Strides

Geoffrey was contacted to be on Dancing with the Stars, but in an interview he said he declined because 1) he doesn't feel he's a good dancer and 2) he's very busy now with other projects and commitments.

I'm happy things are working out for him; he seems like a very nice guy.

https://atlantablackstar.com/2018/09...ith-the-stars/

Quote Originally Posted by applecruncher View Post

I'm happy things are working out for him; he seems like a very nice guy.
    He comes across like he is.
    I've always like him.
    Glad for him.
    Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air. Emerson

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.