Results 1 to 15 of 15

Nfl

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    866

    Nfl

    Today, the Steelers and Browns tied at 21. You gotta’ be kidding me. For crying out loud. This is pro football, or at least I thought it was. Let the big boys play until we have a winner.



    Bring back sudden death, if this is how we’re going to play the game.
    "Nothing good happens after 2:00 a.m."

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Buffalo,NY
    Posts
    1,131
    I feel bad for long time Buffalo Bills fans, after the team got creamed by the Baltimore Ravens 47-3.According to our local paper,Bflo News,it was the worst opening game loss in the Bills history
    I'm probably in the minority as a WNY resident who doesn't watch or care about the team ,I prefer college football,more exciting Sue
    Walkers Take It All In Strides

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Mass
    Posts
    428
    Quote Originally Posted by moviequeen1 View Post
    I feel bad for long time Buffalo Bills fans, after the team got creamed by the Baltimore Ravens 47-3.According to our local paper,Bflo News,it was the worst opening game loss in the Bills history
    I'm probably in the minority as a WNY resident who doesn't watch or care about the team ,I prefer college football,more exciting Sue
    As a lifelong Pats fan I'm well aware of how bad a team can be when the ownership isn't committed to winning and that seems to be the case with the Bills new owner. The Bills appear to be taking a page from the 70's and 80's Pats with a few big name players on the roster surrounded by a bunch of 2nd and 3rd stringers. The big names are just enough to put the bodies in the seats and hold the fan's interest, but not nearly enough to make it deep into the playoffs. I'm not sure why the Bills let Tyrod Taylor go without any viable replacement at QB for him, they were a much better team with Taylor. I thought the Bills may have turned the corner after making the playoffs last year, but they did very little to improve in the offseason and when I saw they traded Taylor to the Browns and didn't replace him with anyone decent I just thought "same ole Bills".

    When the Pats were so bad for so long most of us Pats fans all had a 2nd team that we would root for in the playoffs. My team was the Redskins.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    518
    We've become spoiled as Patriots fans, over the last few years. Sometimes on top but almost always "in the hunt".

    Sadly, I think that even with the Krafts owning the franchise, when the Belechik/Brady combo breaks up, we may go back to being "middle of the roaders" again. Like them or not, B/B have been a powerful combination and the Krafts have wisely provided a solid supporting cast.

    IMHO the biggest disastrous move was sending Jimmy G to the 49ers. The Pats are one damaging hit (on Brady) away from oblivion. Hoya has never cut it with any of the 10 teams that he's been with and after that - - - - - - -?

    In the meantime, we can enjoy them as they are. Off to a good start at least. Just don't get excited and jump up on that repaired foot.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    819
    Quote Originally Posted by 911 View Post
    Today, the Steelers and Browns tied at 21. You gotta’ be kidding me. For crying out loud. This is pro football, or at least I thought it was. Let the big boys play until we have a winner.

    Bring back sudden death, if this is how we’re going to play the game.
    Agree. I was not aware ties were allowed.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    819
    It is curious how some teams never win it all. The Lions were good during the 50'sand maybe very early 60s. Buffalo nearly made it three straight years but never made it over the hump. Then there is NE.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Mass
    Posts
    428
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveA View Post
    We've become spoiled as Patriots fans, over the last few years. Sometimes on top but almost always "in the hunt".

    Sadly, I think that even with the Krafts owning the franchise, when the Belechik/Brady combo breaks up, we may go back to being "middle of the roaders" again. Like them or not, B/B have been a powerful combination and the Krafts have wisely provided a solid supporting cast.

    IMHO the biggest disastrous move was sending Jimmy G to the 49ers. The Pats are one damaging hit (on Brady) away from oblivion. Hoya has never cut it with any of the 10 teams that he's been with and after that - - - - - - -?

    In the meantime, we can enjoy them as they are. Off to a good start at least. Just don't get excited and jump up on that repaired foot.
    We will probably never see the likes of a Brady/Belichik combo in the NFL again, things like this do not come around often. I do believe however that as long as the Kraft family owns the Pats, they will continue to be contenders in the league.

    Dave not sure how much you like to read, but a few books I would highly recommend to any Pats/NFL fan are "Patriot Reign" & "Belichik & Brady", both written by Michael Holley. Patriot Reign gives an in depth look of all the things that go on behind the scenes, very educational of how a championship team is run. The 3rd is "Parcells A Football Life". I just finished the Parcells book, it's over 500 pages but gives great insight into Parcells and how he came to be the coach he was. It explains a lot of the things Belichik does because he learned under Parcells as his assistant for many years. It also reveals a few things about the Parcells/Kraft feud that took place in the 90's when Kraft bought the team that I never knew. The media made that feud out to be mainly Parcell's fault, but Kraft played a much bigger role in it than I originally thought.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Mass
    Posts
    428
    Patriots looked rough yesterday, especially the defensive backs. They made Blake Bortles look like a Hall Of Fame QB.

    Patrick Mahomes, QB of the Chiefs is on fire. He set a new NFL record throwing for 6 td's in their victory over the Steelers.

    I Love to see the whiney Steelers winless!!

    Ryan Fitzpatrick looks to be reborn with Tampa Bay going 2-0 with 8td passes, beating two good teams in a row in the Saints and Eagles.

    The Browns are knocking on the door for their first victory since December of 2016, but they keep finding ways to lose.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    2,357
    At least our Denver Broncos won...…..by 1 point, but that's good enough. No Bronco fans where we live. No wonder we are moving back to Colorado!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr 2016
    Posts
    1,861
    I quit watching NFL years ago. It got way too tribal for me. After every play, someone has to do their little ritual dance. And after TD? Can't watch it.


  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Mass
    Posts
    428
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassicRockr View Post
    At least our Denver Broncos won...…..by 1 point, but that's good enough. No Bronco fans where we live. No wonder we are moving back to Colorado!
    I'm surprised the Broncos went into the season with Case Keenum as their starter, but so far so good at 2-0.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Wales
    Posts
    478
    Great game yesterday between the Packers and Vikings.Glad the Packers didn't lose-but where did the Vikings find their kicker?And curses to NFL Gamepass for managing to chop the end of OT!Thankgoodness for RedZone!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Mass
    Posts
    428
    Quote Originally Posted by Furryanimal View Post
    Great game yesterday between the Packers and Vikings.Glad the Packers didn't lose-but where did the Vikings find their kicker?And curses to NFL Gamepass for managing to chop the end of OT!Thankgoodness for RedZone!
    That was a good game, but the NFL needs to do away with ties. I was flipping back n forth between Packers/Vikings and Chiefs/Steelers, two good early games.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    3,254
    I went to Cleveland this past weekend to visit my relatives. On Saturday, my cousin’s husband, a few other of his friends and me went to the Indians-Tigers game, hoping that Cleveland would win and capture their third Division pennant in a row. The game was over after the first inning as the Indians scored ten, yes, ten runs. That inning alone took 50 minutes.

    Then on Sunday, we watched the Browns-Saints football game. The Brown’s kicker missed four different tries. I don’t know if Gonzalez (the kicker) still has a job or not.
    "SEMPER FI"

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2017
    Location
    Mass
    Posts
    428
    The Pats have traded a conditional 5th round pick to the Browns for the much troubled but highly talented WR Josh Gordon. This will be interesting.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Family & Health Forums: Pet Forums - Health Forum