Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Emotional Support Animals on Airplanes

I think I'm in Florida, but I'm not sure any more......my GPS blew away.

I sprayed my luggage with adhesive and rolled it around in the dog hair on the rug. Now, it's my emotional support baggage and MUST come on the plane with me. After all, I feel much more emotionally secure when my bags are by my side, y'know?
    If we're ever in a situation where I am "the voice of reason", then we are in a very, very bad situation.

Quote Originally Posted by jujube View Post
    I sprayed my luggage with adhesive and rolled it around in the dog hair on the rug. Now, it's my emotional support baggage and MUST come on the plane with me. After all, I feel much more emotionally secure when my bags are by my side, y'know?
    hearty-laugh.gif

Quote Originally Posted by debbie in seattle View Post
    What happens to someone who is super allergic to the animal on the plane? Folks aren’t notified of the offending animal.
    I have often wondered this, Debbie. If my husband was seated near a cat on a cross country flight he would be in serious trouble.
    “The world needs a sense of worth, and it will achieve it only by its people feeling that they are worthwhile.” - Fred Rogers

I think I'm in Florida, but I'm not sure any more......my GPS blew away.
    Quote Originally Posted by debbie in seattle View Post
    What happens to someone who is super allergic to the animal on the plane? Folks aren’t notified of the offending animal.
    As it stands right now, the person with the service or emotional support animal holds all the "rights", right or wrong...... They'll try to put the allergic person as far as possible away from the animal, but if that's not good enough, the allergic person gets deboarded and put on a later flight (hopefully without any animals). I think the same thing goes for just ordinary animals traveling with their owners, but there don't seem to be a lot of them anymore....they've miraculously turned into emotional supports instead of just pets".
    If we're ever in a situation where I am "the voice of reason", then we are in a very, very bad situation.

Oh my, that doesn't sound like the answer, but what would be? I could never put anything living into the baggage hold .

Hmmm, the first airline that develops a safe, comfortable, warm and sequestered pet area might just pull ahead of all the others. I know, I'm dreaming.

BTW, I wouldn't mind having an emotional support penguin... I love those little guys.

I can understand a Blind person needing to have their dog with them, but that's about as far as my tolerance goes. Personally, I would Not want to be on a flight with someone who is so disturbed that they need an animal for "emotional" support.
    "Do Not regret growing older...it is a Privilege denied to many."

Quote Originally Posted by jujube View Post
    As it stands right now, the person with the service or emotional support animal holds all the "rights", right or wrong...... They'll try to put the allergic person as far as possible away from the animal, but if that's not good enough, the allergic person gets deboarded and put on a later flight (hopefully without any animals). I think the same thing goes for just ordinary animals traveling with their owners, but there don't seem to be a lot of them anymore....they've miraculously turned into emotional supports instead of just pets".
    This is a pretty good answer, however, there is a bit more to it than what was explained. Service animals are boarded regardless and without any documentation. The animals must meet certain criteria, such as they are not allowed to sit in the aisle. Service animals may not show any aggression, including barking at other passengers.

United is mostly lenient with these animals, but each airline has their own policy. I do believe that the policy regarding service animals is pretty consistent among all airlines. OTOH, emotional support animals are subject to the airlines’ policy. That would include having documentation from the passenger’s physician or psychiatrist stating the passenger’ necessity to have their animal with them. The letter may not be more than ten days old, but that rule is sometimes deviated from depending on other issues.

When there is is an issue with an animal, the Purser will notify the Captain, who will then adjudicate the situation. We do try to keep everyone happy and if we can move a passenger without the animal to alleviate the situation, then so be it. In my case, if a passenger without the animal had an issue with an animal sitting near them, I would move them to first class or business class if there were seats available. That always settled the issue.

In in any case, people who are taking animals onboard should consult with their airline at least a few days before their flight. This will give both parties an opportunity to straighten out any misconceptions regarding the airline’s policy regarding their animal.

Lastly, I will state to everyone that the pilots do not like dealing with these situations. It interferes and is a distraction from doing their job at hand. Most pilots believe that if people cannot keep it together for a few hours, perhaps they should drive. This only applies to emotional support animals.
    "SEMPER FI"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.