State fairs.

State fairs.

We haven't been to the Okla. State Fair in over 30 years but today is opening day (admission just $2.00 for opening day) and this year mama has been hinting that she wants to go.

I did have plans to go to the range this morning and do a little target shooting but I'll normally bend over backwards to do whatever I can for her so it looks like here in a little bit we're headed north and going to the fair after a quick stop at the bank......have I mentioned that I absolutely hate crowds ?

Go ahead and say it.

Ike............

P. whipped.jpg

Take her, have fun! Our state fair now has ATM machines all over the place. Are you going to try some of that deep fried fare (deep fried snickers, deep fried butter, deep fried bacon, deep fried whatever you can think of).

I think I'm in Florida, but I'm not sure any more......my GPS blew away.
    Our Florida State Fair is in February. Why in February you might ask? Well, if it were in August like most of the other state fairs, there wouldn't be enough ambulances and paramedics in the Southeastern United States to cart all the heat stroke victims off to the emergency rooms, of which there wouldn't be enough either. Thus February.
    If we're ever in a situation where I am "the voice of reason", then we are in a very, very bad situation.

Quote Originally Posted by jujube View Post
    Our Florida State Fair is in February. Why in February you might ask? Well, if it were in August like most of the other state fairs, there wouldn't be enough ambulances and paramedics in the Southeastern United States to cart all the heat stroke victims off to the emergency rooms, of which there wouldn't be enough either. Thus February.
    That makes sense. Ours is in September and it's usually nice (like it has been so far this year). A couple of times the temps were over 95 degrees and one year I think it rained almost every day.

Great! Time to eat horrible food that will shorten your life, and queue up for unsafe carnival rides that may kill you on the spot! Yee-haw!

Have a little fun and make some points with Mama sounds like a win-win to me!

Take her and have fun. Of course you’ll bend over backwards for her.
    I happen to like a whipped man.

We spent about five hours at the fair looking at the critters and displays.....we'd walk a bit and then sit a bit and people watch.

Most of the food there was battered and deep fried but we ended up finding one booth that had huge grilled turkey legs and whole ears of roasted corn......we split a turkey leg and each of us had large ear of salt & peppered and lightly buttered roasted corn which was pretty darn tasty.

I'm in no hurry to go back but I suppose I enjoyed myself a little but more importantly I probably ended up making a few brownie points with mama......you know what they say, "happy wife = happy life".

Turkey leg.jpg

corn.jpg

Actually that DOES look good. Yummm and a much healthier choice.
    Happy wife/ happy life
    Smart man
    Glad you had so much fun

May all of the turkeys who gave their lives, so the teeming masses at the fair could stuff their faces, RIP.

We like to go to our State Fair...but only if the weather is fairly mild. It is held in early August, which means that we've only gone about 3 times in the past 15 years. Wandering around in a large crowd in 90+ degree heat is more than we can stand, anymore.
    It's been Scientifically proven that those who have more Birthdays, Live Longer.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.