Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lesser Harmful of the Two: Aspirin or Ibuprofen??

Lesser Harmful of the Two: Aspirin or Ibuprofen??

Opinions wanted.

Years ago as the OA advanced in my body I had asked a pharmacist which was the "safest" NSAID and he said aspirin. So I was taking aspirin for some time and then a neighbor I was talking to said "ibuprofen" is more effective, so I changed and now have been taking 2 ibuprofen every 6 hours for the OA misery. I'd like NOT to take either but if I want to walk I need to take NSAID.

I make sure I have food in my stomach no matter.

I want no other dx pain meds so that's not an option.

So thoughts. Thanks.

Can’t be much help, but I can’t take either one. I take a blood thinner and these drugs are on the do not take list. I have serious back pain and use Tylenol on bad days. On real bad days, I have Tramadol for those days.
    I ate beans and onions....ended up with tear gas.

I've been taking VA Medical prescription 800mg ibuprofen almost on a daily basis for my osteoarthritis pain I get in my left shoulder. Seems as if each surgery I've had in the past has turned into some mild, but nagging/achy arthritis pain...…...one hip replacement, ankle surgery and both shoulders having rotator cuff surgery. My VA doctor also prescribed me 50mg Tramadol that I take a few times a week, but only once a day in the AM. I also take Turmeric capsule each AM and am looking into using either a Ginger or Boswellia capsule supplement.

Ibuprofen is the only thing that seems to settle down my pain on the days I don't take the Tramadol. It doesn't upset my stomach, but generally take with a piece of cheese.

I haven't tried this yet, but read online that a person can take Tramadol and Ibuprofen at the same time, because they do different things. Tramadol is a nerve blocker, while ibuprofen works directly on the source of the pain.

My VA doctor says I can take 2 Tylenol with my tramadol, so I don’t think it would be a problem.
    I ate beans and onions....ended up with tear gas.

Quote Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
    Opinions wanted.

Years ago as the OA advanced in my body I had asked a pharmacist which was the "safest" NSAID and he said aspirin. So I was taking aspirin for some time and then a neighbor I was talking to said "ibuprofen" is more effective, so I changed and now have been taking 2 ibuprofen every 6 hours for the OA misery. I'd like NOT to take either but if I want to walk I need to take NSAID.

I make sure I have food in my stomach no matter.

I want no other dx pain meds so that's not an option.

So thoughts. Thanks.
    Have you tried CBD balm?
    (Google GoGreen to check it out)
    “Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.” Emerson

Ibuprofen is known to be more irritable to the stomach than aspirin. I've had R/A for about 20 years now. I used to take the aspirin and ibuprofen but they don't do much for me anymore and the ibuprofen bothers my stomach. My Rheumatologist put me on another NSAID called Naproxen for a few years until that started bothering my stomach. Now I've been taking Etodolac (also an NSAID) for about 5 years with no problems, much better for my stomach. I now take the Etodolac with a newer medicine called Xeljanz XR and it's worked well to keep my pain levels at a minimum.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary O' View Post
    Have you tried CBD balm?
    I can attest to the effectiveness of the CBD balm, it works great on my joint pain.

I asked my doctor. He told me Acetaminophen was the 'safest'.

The concern I think is damage to the liver or the kidneys with any pain killer.

Aspirin I know is hard on the stomach.

Quote Originally Posted by JimW View Post
    Ibuprofen is known to be more irritable to the stomach than aspirin. I've had R/A for about 20 years now. I used to take the aspirin and ibuprofen but they don't do much for me anymore and the ibuprofen bothers my stomach. My Rheumatologist put me on another NSAID called Naproxen for a few years until that started bothering my stomach. Now I've been taking Etodolac (also an NSAID) for about 5 years with no problems, much better for my stomach. I now take the Etodolac with a newer medicine called Xeljanz XR and it's worked well to keep my pain levels at a minimum.

I can attest to the effectiveness of the CBD balm, it works great on my joint pain.

"until that started bothering my stomach"

When did you know, it [was] bothering your stomach? What were the symptoms ?

Reading here, the different opinion/advise of all the doctors.....it seems there is [NO] absolute answer to it....trial & error. [We] are the guinea pigs....

Quote Originally Posted by rgp View Post
    "until that started bothering my stomach"

When did you know, it [was] bothering your stomach? What were the symptoms ?
    I usually get a burning sensation in the stomach when a medication is bothering me.

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicRockr View Post
    I've been taking VA Medical prescription 800mg ibuprofen almost on a daily basis for my osteoarthritis pain I get in my left shoulder. Seems as if each surgery I've had in the past has turned into some mild, but nagging/achy arthritis pain...…...one hip replacement, ankle surgery and both shoulders having rotator cuff surgery. My VA doctor also prescribed me 50mg Tramadol that I take a few times a week, but only once a day in the AM. I also take Turmeric capsule each AM and am looking into using either a Ginger or Boswellia capsule supplement.

Ibuprofen is the only thing that seems to settle down my pain on the days I don't take the Tramadol. It doesn't upset my stomach, but generally take with a piece of cheese.

I haven't tried this yet, but read online that a person can take Tramadol and Ibuprofen at the same time, because they do different things. Tramadol is a nerve blocker, while ibuprofen works directly on the source of the pain.
    OA has so advanced since hip replacement in 2010 and an MD who does PRP and Stem Cells and is on the radio on weekends here says with every surgery CUT more arthritis sets in...I believe this...the hip job left me with so many complications. I can just scream some days, or CRY.

I take some inflammation supplements for the issue too but oh brother I sometimes think if I could go back would I do the THR?

Thanks for your comments. Well taken.

Quote Originally Posted by JimW View Post
    I usually get a burning sensation in the stomach when a medication is bothering me.
    Gotta make sure one takes with FOOD.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary O' View Post
    Have you tried CBD balm?
    Yes, I have tried 4 ointments of CBD but one needs to spend a LOT to get the most effective I've found so far. I'll check GoGreen.

I've tried some tinctures but not the high quality high priced ones and they did zilch.

Quote Originally Posted by Pappy View Post
    My VA doctor says I can take 2 Tylenol with my tramadol, so I don’t think it would be a problem.
    With Tylenol we need to worry about liver and kidneys...talk about crapshoots and these drugs...one does more damage than the other...oh pharma is so Smart?????

It depends on what is going with your body, not everyone has the same issues. The best bet is to check with your doctor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.