Do things taste different now that you're older

Do things taste different now that you're older

I noticed this about two years ago. I have always loved chili powder as a seasoning but suddenly I developed a strong dislike of the taste of it in anything.

This week I seem to have developed a strong dislike of anything with yeast in it (bread, donuts, beer) It all tastes kind of disgusting now. Suddenly I really, really like the taste of paprika. I've used paprika all my life but now that's what I want in my chili(I guess I'll have to call it papriki?), on my cottage cheese, on my fried eggs. It's crazy.

A lot of things don't taste as good as they used to. I generally credit that to the "healthier eating" movement that has ruined McDonald's french fries forever.

"For the times they are a changin'."
    -- Bob Dylan

Has also ruined KFC forever!

dkay, are you sure your paprika isn't smoked paprika? Because I could never in my life taste plain paprika, but the smoked paprika is really good, like you said, especially on eggs!

Many things taste extra salty to me because I cut way back on using salt. I also noticed that when companies buy out other companies the flavor of the food changes probably because they have found cheaper ingredients to make the product and the taste suffers.

I mostly taste things by memory these days, since sense of smell has declined.

I think over the years that my taste for certain food have changed some. I've always been a salad and vegetable person but sometimes I'll lose my taste for some of them.Then after a break I'll want to eat them again.

Quote Originally Posted by dkay View Post
    Suddenly I really, really like the taste of paprika. I've used paprika all my life but now that's what I want in my chili(I guess I'll have to call it papriki?), on my cottage cheese, on my fried eggs. It's crazy.
    I got into black pepper a few years back.
    Most everthing on my meat and potatoes breakfast platter gets a liberal shake of black pepper.
    Baked potatoes gets extra pepper.
    Can't go cottage cheese without covering it with black pepper

Yeah, paprika on deviled eggs is a must

And, for me, well potato salad requires extra paprika

Everthing else that’s not sweet is liable to get a long squeeze from the sriracha bottle.

Chinese food?
    Where’s the hot mustard and hot oils

Yeah, my buds have changed

So I changed my seasonings to keep pace
    “Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.” Emerson

I think I'm in Florida, but I'm not sure any more......my GPS blew away.
    Yes, they do change the ingredients. Take baby food, for instance. When my daughter was born, I fell in love with the Gerbers vanilla pudding baby food. I get a jar for her and a jar for me and we'd enjoy it together. Then when my granddaughter was born, I bought some Gerbers vanilla pudding and IT TASTED LIKE LIBRARY PASTE! except that library paste probably has more taste. They took out the sugar and probably the salt and who knows what else.

I used to use the prune baby food as filling for my kolaches because it had just the right amount of sweetness. Now it tastes like, guess what?, prune-colored library paste. The carrots don't taste much like carrots, the peaches don't taste like peaches, etc., etc.

It's a darn good thing babies don't know any better or we'd never get any food down them.
    If we're ever in a situation where I am "the voice of reason", then we are in a very, very bad situation.

Yes- I used to love baked beans and that great British staple beans on toast-but they are absolutely tasteless to me now.All brands.And I am sure it's down to changing the sauce recipe in the interests of healthy eating.

Many things are too sweet for me these days.

I also prefer simpler dishes that highlight one or two ingredients instead of the old throw in the kitchen sink type recipes.

As one ages our sensory systems degenerate, taste buds, smell, hearing and sight all are involved.
    We are either growing or dying.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Jim View Post
    As one ages our sensory systems degenerate, taste buds, smell, hearing and sight all are involved.
    Welcome to the party, pal.

-- Bob Dylan

Hearing and sight still good but sense of taste and smell not same.

-- Bob Dylan

I read somewhere that your cells get replaced every 7-12 yrs, so your taste buds change.

When I was a young man, I lost my appreciation of carrots. After years of not eating them, I tried em again and found I like them again.
    Years may wrinkle the skin, but to give up enthusiasm wrinkles the soul - Samuel Ullman

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.