Do you remember your first camera?

Do you remember your first camera?

Here's mine. I still have it.

brownie.jpg
    It's a Kodak Baby Brownie; one button to push and one knob to turn. My Mom bought it for me when I was 11 to take to YMCA summer camp in 1950. Here's one of its first photos.

round meadow023.jpg

It's of my friends and our counselor in front of our cabin. That little camera got a lot of use. I believe it took 8 pictures on a roll of 127 film. It still works.

Don

Mine was a Kodak Instamatic 110 like the one pictured......I've still got the camera and a couple of flash cubes around here someplace but I bet I'd have one heck of a time trying to find film for it nowadays.

Instamatic.jpg

Film.jpg

Did you have the gigantic flash attachment!

The first camera that I actually owned was a used Miranda Sensomat RE that I scrimped and saved for in high school, I thought I was a pretty big deal, LOL!!!

I think I'm in Florida, but I'm not sure any more......my GPS blew away.
    I have the first camera our family owned, a Brownie box camera. I can't even remember what the first camera was that *I* owned. I must have bought it in 1967 to take to Europe. I do remember buying one from the AFEX on the base in Turkey in 1969 for my husband on our first Christmas together. Can't remember what that one was either, but I thought it was pretty expensive (at least for MY finances back then....)
    If we're ever in a situation where I am "the voice of reason", then we are in a very, very bad situation.

Mine was an Argus 35mm. I loved it. Cameras sure are different today.

If you have one of the new portable phones, you HAVE a camera! Whether you know it or not!
    John

I had an Instamatic like Ike, this was the next one I owned. I always got a kick out of holding the photo until it developed in my hand. Problem was, those pictures faded over time.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaBreeze View Post
    I had an Instamatic like Ike, this was the next one I owned. I always got a kick out of holding the photo until it developed in my hand. Problem was, those pictures faded over time.

I remember, one of those instant cameras had a gel stick that you had to rub over the photos as they developed, it sort of smelled like horseradish.

Instamatic here. Later, a Ricoh 35 mm and a Canon Sure shot.

Quote Originally Posted by IKE View Post
    Mine was a Kodak Instamatic 110 like the one pictured......I've still got the camera and a couple of flash cubes around here someplace but I bet I'd have one heck of a time trying to find film for it nowadays.
    Lomography offers several 110 films. Also available at some of the large online dealers such as B&H and Adorama.

https://shop.lomography.com/en/films/110-film

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
    Did you have the gigantic flash attachment!

The Brownie Hawkeye was my second camera. I still have it too. And, I had the big flash attachment. That was it for me until we got married and my wife brought her Instamatic with her. She also had an 8mm movie camera. We owned several versions of the Instamatic over the years. I didn't get a 35mm camera until I was in the service. It was a Canonet 1.9 QL rangefinder I bought at the exchange in Japan. When my son's wife was pregnant with our Granddaughter we bought our Canon A620 digital, which is what we use now. I picked up a used Canon A520 on Ebay for a few dollars, and that's my camera to play with. The digitals are amazing.

Don

I think I'm in Florida, but I'm not sure any more......my GPS blew away.
    I remember when the first "flash cubes" came out. What a improvement those were on the old flash bulbs that you burned your fingers on when you had to take them out quickly.
    If we're ever in a situation where I am "the voice of reason", then we are in a very, very bad situation.

I don't remember...I wish I did given my passion for photography now...but I really don't. It would have been something like an instamatic probably...

When I was a kid, you could send in popsicle wrappers and get some nice gifts. My first camera was one just like this. Had to ask mom for money for film.

80D6A7C3-D733-41B9-8211-0A29266BADA4.jpg8BF776D8-9ABD-472A-8091-92D8CD12DF01.jpeg
    "Wear short sleeves! Support your right to bare arms

AGFA Isolette II.

This was my first camera - given to me by my Dad who bought it whilst in the RAF (possibly in Kuwait) in the late 1950s. I was about 12 or 13 when I got it I think - so about 1974/5.

It was the top of the range model for its time with a faster 1/500" shutter than the standard one which only ran at 1/200".

It still works just fine!

Delusions of adequacy.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.