Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Many Retirees Decide To Return To Work

NO.… I've been retired since 2006 with a Pension....Hubby retired a year before me, also with a Pension....We were married very young...

I had odd jobs when the kids were in school....Then in my late thirties I got a job as a Secretary in the local High School and retired after 25 years....By that time I
    was in my Sixties....We are enjoying our retirement....

Stuck inside of Mobile, with the Memphis Blues again.
    I retired 11 years ago. I was 60. Since that time I have done not one lick of work for pay and I have no intention of ever doing so in the future. I was born to be a bum and I'm damned good at it.
    "Some velvet morning when I'm straight"

From my office where my computer is, I can see the only road out of the subdivision where I live. It has a cul-de-sac at the far end. After a year of retirement, I am still trying to kick my 'work' schedule sleep-wise, but it is getting a little better. Still, I was up at 5am this morning, in the dark, and as I sat here with my fresh coffee, I watched the tail lights leaving the neighborhood. They started before I got up, and last one left at about 7:45.
    Hmmm....will I go back to work?
    um,
    Nooooooooooooooo!!!!

We retired in our mid 50's and thought that we might get part-time jobs. However, we soon realised that we were becoming too busy with things we wanted to do. We were also able to afford not to work, so we didn't. That was 12 years ago, and we've never been so busy. Our state and occupational pensions allow us a comfortable retirement and life is good. Back to work - no way!
    We're not here for a long time. We're here for a good time

I retired 3 years ago when I was 59 but was asked to come back to work on a part-time, as-needed basis. I work remotely from my little house in the country. No rush hour traffic to deal with, I set my own hours, and I only take the work when I want to. The extra income has been nice but I'm ready to stop working completely. I LIKE not knowing what day of the week it is, sleeping until whatever time I want to wake up (some days it's early, other times it's almost noon) and not having a schedule. I want that to be full-time so I'm going to give up the part-time work soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Don M. View Post
    I doubt that many retirees go back to work because they "like" it....more likely, some have to return to the Grind because of financial shortcomings.
    I tend to agree Don. I would never go back myself but do without some things so I won't have to.

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
    It's easier for me to control my expenses than it would be for me to go back to work.

At this point in my life, I would be an awful employee!

the problem with cost cutting vs income generation is cost cutting always has a bottom . when costs keep rising and there is nothing left to cut it becomes very apparent as to the difference between cost cutting vs more income .

many retirees start out in good shape , but they confuse cost cutting with finding ways like investing to keep income growing too . they feel they don't need to up the volatility . then rising expenses and nothing left to cut turns their lives much more stressful as they sweat every unexpected bill . so they are eventually forced to find ways to increase income .

the problem is the later it gets in the game the more investment timing plays a roll and that never ends well so work is the most popular method of bringing in more income . over a 30 year retirement you can almost set your watch to the fact you will grow your money nicely . shorten that time frame and the shorter you make the period the more you are rolling the dice .

the things my wife and i do today that could be considered work we would do for free as volunteers if we had to .

i enjoy getting out one day a week and teaching at my old company . i have been doing it for 3 years . my wife and i have a little photography business that grew out of a hobby . we sell our photo's and files on line .

i got back in to my drumming and put huge amounts of time in to it now . i hope to do some paying studio work . so all these things i guess can be called work but we really enjoy it . in fact my wife just signed up to be a sub for the preschool she used to work at . she misses the little ones and her friends .

I don't miss working at all, but if I did go back, it would have to be a desk and computer job. Absolutely nothing on the "physical" side. I absolutely loved my last job, except for the driving part. Had my own office/computer/phone and, when I did help out in the warehouse, it was very light lifting.

OTOH, my wife does like working, but would really like having Fridays and Mondays off (LOL). But, if she doesn't get enough sleep at night, her next day at work has to be a "more than one cup of hot chocolate w/some coffee" day.

I have a much easier time finding things to do at home than she does.

Thing is, some Seniors may want to go back to work part-time, but due to health reasons, that just can't happen.
    Love Rocky Mountain And Yellowstone National Parks

working on your own terms is always very different from working because you have to .

i always say being retired may not necessarily mean not working . it can mean just not having to work . i don't consider anything i do "work".

the fact i get paid for what i do is a bonus ha ha ha

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.