Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Schadenfreude - Do You Have A Touch of It?

Heard the word again today and it reminded of this old thread.

I suppose I've been the giver of Schadenfreude to others a time or two.

Being a young, naive, trusting young pup my uncle told me to stick my finger in the bulb socket on a lamp knowing full well that it was hot and of course I got shocked.....he laughed like hell and I ran screaming like a banchee.

Still being about the same age my dad told me to stick my hand down in a fence post hole and grab the HUGE crawdad that had fallen down there, I did and the sucker latched onto my finger hard......he also laughed like hell and I again ran screaming like a banchee only this time I had a crawdad attached to my finger.

Y'all go ahead and laff, I know you want to.

If it happens to certain people or groups (Name your own.) I'm

'Stuck inside the Midwest with the LA blues again'
    No. I don't even like those 'funny home video' shows where people roar with laughter when someone gets hurt. 'Oh lookit that- Bill fell off the roof and broke his leg. Hahahaha.' Nope, I think it's awful!!

I agree Janice. Some of those videos are filled with the dumbest people on earth.

What a waste of cyberspace.

The only thing funny on FHO is the Em Cee. He's a riot and does such a good job. Talk about facial expressions !

It's much better to have Liebesfreude!

HiDesertHal

I do NOT find the misfortunes of others amusing, in the least. I loathe those shows that show people slipping and falling, while the audience brays like so many jackasses!

Quote Originally Posted by treeguy64 View Post
    I do NOT find the misfortunes of others amusing, in the least. I loathe those shows that show people slipping and falling, while the audience brays like so many jackasses!
    I couldn't agree more. My wife (RIP) and I used to discuss this an we both agreed with your position...it ain't funny!!
    We are either growing or dying.

I luv it when it happens to someone I really dislike.
    John

Myself included. I cringe when I hear the misfortune of others. In fact, it upsets me greatly.
    Watching shows about people being cat fish scammed by deceptive greedy people pretending to love them.
    Horrific news about people suffering goes right through me.
    I find it exceptionally difficult witnessing suffering of any kind.
    Saddistic movies haunt me.

Yes, I have a touch of it also. After I've snickered I usually end up saying,oh the poor women, or whoever is having the misfortune, knowing full well it doesn't excuse my laughter but I've also laughed at myself more times than I can count.

My Mom told this story many times. She was at a bus stop many years ago. A lady wearing a dress was waiting also.The bus pulled up and as she walked toward it she lost her underpants. They just dropped right down on the sidewalk. She didn't blink an eye,she just stepped out of them and boarded the bus. When my Mom got on behind her she noticed a smile on everyone seated on that side of the bus.

Sorry to say, I smiled a bit when my neighbor, a very obnoxious one to me, hurt her knee and couldn't live on the 2nd floor any longer (or right above me)...Felt bad for her, too. I know what pain is like as we most do. So she had to move..and now I have a better neighbor..great joy~
    One way to get the most out of life is to look upon it as an adventure. William Feather

I have to admit I often enjoy those videos that keep popping up, showing one of those scam telemarketers getting what they deserve. Some of those videos are hilarious. The scam artist is trying so hard to convince someone that their computer is about to crash, or the IRS is on their way to arrest them, and you see a middle-aged guy pretending to be a very naive elderly woman, speaking in a falsetto voice and wasting lots of the scammer's time.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
    I have to admit I often enjoy those videos that keep popping up, showing one of those scam telemarketers getting what they deserve. Some of those videos are hilarious. The scam artist is trying so hard to convince someone that their computer is about to crash, or the IRS is on their way to arrest them, and you see a middle-aged guy pretending to be a very naive elderly woman, speaking in a falsetto voice and wasting lots of the scammer's time.
    Ha ha!
    One way to get the most out of life is to look upon it as an adventure. William Feather

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.