Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thinking about relocating to Arizona. Seek advice.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal View Post
    Jan and I retired in 2007, wandered in motorhome a lot (still do some) Winter in the Corpius Christi area, Summer at our home in Minnesota. Want to change winter residence to Arizona because of weather and terrible medical care in south Texas. We'd probably buy a double wide in a retirement community. I've lived in the Phoenix area, would like to avoid a huge urban area. Thinking about Green Valley, but know very little about it. We'd like advice both on areas and on specific communities, available medical care, and any other suggestions and advice you have to offer. Thanks, in advance, for all you can tell us!

Hal
    Half must have his answer as he has not been back since posting this thread!!

Quote Originally Posted by Colleen View Post
    This thread caught my attention because we moved 4 years ago (going on 5) from NW PA to NW AZ (Kingman). We're 100 miles south of Las Vegas. Our elevation is 3400 ft. so it gets cooler in winter but usually no snow unless you live close to the foothills, which we did when we first moved here.

We had lived in a lot of places over the years (MI, SC, PA, TX, CA and now AZ) and there were good things and bad things about all of them. TX was horribly humid and buggy. CA was overcrowded and smoggy. SC had hurricanes (was there to witness Hurricane Hugo). MI is my hometown where I grew up so I'm partial to living near lakes. My favorite place to live was PA. I lived and worked there for over 20 years so that's "home" for me and I miss it very much. I've asked hubby if we could go back, but he wants to stay here.

Kingman is a small town and I-40 and Route 66 runs through here so there's a lot of traffic. However, even though the mountains are amazing here, there's nothing of interest for me. We live 20 miles out of town and the road is VERY busy. It's a 2-lane road and traffic is traveling up to Flagstaff constantly. I go to town once a week to get groceries and that's the extent of my going anywhere. I am a quilter and I do cross stitch. In our town in PA there were shops that I could go to for my supplies. Not here.

We don't get the dust storms like Phoenix and the Monsoon season has not shown up yet in the almost 5 years we've been here. There's lots of wide-open spaces here so if you want to be secluded you can. It just depends on what you're looking for. Me, personally, I'd be back in PA in a heartbeat if I could.
    Hi Colleen,
    I'm in PA and love it here. I hope you get to move back someday!

Colleen, Adios!! viaje seguro....
    We are either growing or dying.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Jim View Post
    Colleen, Adios!! viaje seguro....
    I hope that wasn't meant as snarky

Quote Originally Posted by Colleen View Post
    I hope that wasn't meant as snarky
    Not a chance....
    We are either growing or dying.

As a Native Texan I am often amused when people comment on the "climate" in Texas. Considering it's geographical location and size the climate would more accurately be "climates". It can go from blistering heat, freezing cold, high humidity, very dry, etc. depending where you are in Texas. I am often amused by visitors to the Eastern half ( East of Austin ) complaining about the high humidity and thinking all of Texas is that way. For those non Texans, here is a handy guide.

https://www.texasmonthly.com/the-dai...r-land-masses/

You really appreciate the large size of Texas after you have driven across it a few times.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.