Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Hello from New Hampshire

Thank you all for your friendly greetings!

Sue, we're in the Lake Winnipesaukee area so 2-3 hours east of Hanover. Moved here when I retired a few years ago and now spend my time trying to fully appreciate this little piece of God's majestic creation.

Over the past few days I've been reading posts from the various forums. There's so much good stuff here!

Like kid discovering a new pond, I guess I just need to study it for a while before deciding where to jump in.

@ Tommy...….how are your winters there? Snow, ice? If so, how do you handle the winters? Reason I'm asking, we are making plans on leaving Florida and moving back to Colorado, but the northern part this time. Lived south of Denver, in Parker, for 5 1/2 years. Really, really miss Colorado. We are in our early 70's.
    Love Rocky Mountain And Yellowstone National Parks

Hi Tommy

welcome.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicRockr View Post
    @ Tommy....how are your winters there? Snow, ice? If so, how do you handle the winters? Reason I'm asking, we are making plans on leaving Florida and moving back to Colorado, but the northern part this time. Lived south of Denver, in Parker, for 5 1/2 years. Really, really miss Colorado. We are in our early 70's.
    Is there something in particular about handling winters that is a concern for you?

Like most places, our winters here vary but we always have at least a few feet of snow on the ground, typically from November into March. Ice & slippery roads happen from time to time. How do we handle it? Pretty well, actually. I'm 70, she's a few years younger. On retiring we moved from a town to a more rural area and have done a pretty good job of adapting our lifestyle to all that that entails. We occasionally lose power, typically for a few hours but it can be several days, so we have a generator and keep plenty of gas on hand. We normally only grocery shop every couple of weeks anyway, but we always keep a good supply of the basics on hand. I have a good 2-stage show thrower for 100 or so feet of driveway, but for really heavy snow I have a plowing service that will come out. We do have an AWD vehicle but could probably get by just as well with 2WD.

We've lived virtually our entire lives in the north so winter is normal for us. Getting older comes with its own challenges, but I think that would be the case, snow or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Thank you all for your friendly greetings!

Sue, we're in the Lake Winnipesaukee area so 2-3 hours east of Hanover. Moved here when I retired a few years ago and now spend my time trying to fully appreciate this little piece of God's majestic creation.

Over the past few days I've been reading posts from the various forums. There's so much good stuff here!

Like kid discovering a new pond, I guess I just need to study it for a while before deciding where to jump in.
    Hi Tommy and welcome to the group!

I am from Mass (a Masshole as the NH folks like to call us) . I used to have a house on Belleau Lake in East Wakefield, NH for 17 years. That's about 45 mins from Winni/Alton Bay area via Rte 109 & 28. We used to snowmobile over to Castle In The Clouds in the winter. We love NH and Maine and are planning to retire in The Sebago area of Maine. What part of Winni are you near?

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Is there something in particular about handling winters that is a concern for you?

Like most places, our winters here vary but we always have at least a few feet of snow on the ground, typically from November into March. Ice & slippery roads happen from time to time. How do we handle it? Pretty well, actually. I'm 70, she's a few years younger. On retiring we moved from a town to a more rural area and have done a pretty good job of adapting our lifestyle to all that that entails. We occasionally lose power, typically for a few hours but it can be several days, so we have a generator and keep plenty of gas on hand. We normally only grocery shop every couple of weeks anyway, but we always keep a good supply of the basics on hand. I have a good 2-stage show thrower for 100 or so feet of driveway, but for really heavy snow I have a plowing service that will come out. We do have an AWD vehicle but could probably get by just as well with 2WD.

We've lived virtually our entire lives in the north so winter is normal for us. Getting older comes with its own challenges, but I think that would be the case, snow or not.
    No (concerning handling winters). However, there are Seniors that wonder why a Senior would chose to live in a snow/winter area, since many do not. Where we currently live, northeastern Florida, many folks here get shocked when we tell them we are moving back to Colorado. "Back to snow and ice? Are you crazy?" is sometimes said.

So, what just wondering.

No (concerning handling winters). However, there are Seniors that wonder why a Senior would chose to live in a snow/winter area, since many do not. Where we currently live, northeastern Florida, many folks here get shocked when we tell them we are moving back to Colorado. "Back to snow and ice? Are you crazy?" is sometimes said.

So, what just wondering.
    Global warming will have eliminated winters in Colorado by the time you get there.

Quote Originally Posted by JimW View Post
    Global warming will have eliminated winters in Colorado by the time you get there.
    Is that a promise???? However, we both want to see a White Christmas again. Not this year, but next.

Is that a promise???? However, we both want to see a White Christmas again. Not this year, but next.
    I can definitely relate to that. For several years back in the 90s, I was based in Portland Maine and had a second office in Tallahassee where I needed to spend two to three weeks each month. I actually found the November-December time periods a bit depressing. I'm sure it would be different if I'd grown up there, but for this northern boy it just wasn't the holiday season without the cold and the snow.

Disclaimer: I really did enjoy the Florida panhandle. It's a wonderful area and the people I knew there were the best! It was only the weather in November and December (and July and August) that I could have done without.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.