Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

AZ 55 & older communities

Yes, I was in an very upscale HOA for 8 yrs. When the housing market took a dump people moved out & rented to gov subsidized people to assure they'd get there rent check. It got really ugly, 2 & 3 family's in a home etc. Doesn't always work out the way we expect it to.

We lived in SCW for 14 years in a one story townhouse. It was a condo, so exterior maintenance was handled by the association. There are over 100 clubs in the community, so there are many opportunities to make friends.
    There were some snowbirds and many like us who were sunbirds that lived there year round. We knew a few who were snowbirds without leaving the state. They wintered in SCW and went to the Arizona high country in summer. Elevation makes a huge difference in climate. The valley around Phoenix is at 1100' and Flagstaff is up at 7000'. Flagstaff gets snow in the winter.

I'm sorry, what is SCW?

OOOPS, sorry for stupid question. Sun City West. Thank you for the info. Need a really good income to afford all that & I'm limited. Thank you so much for sharing.

You don’t necessarily need a ‘senior place’ to move to in Arizona. My daughter (40) lives in this neighborhood in Scottsdale that are all patio homes (I think that’s what they are) and consists of mostly seniors and her and a couple others who are younger. She loves it, house is always watched over by the seniors, she gets lots of offers to have her walk their dogs while she’s walking and location, location, location can’t be beat.

Also, great question you’ve asked, my hopes and dreams are to move to Az in the next year or two. Keep us posted on what you find!

debbie in Seattle

Are these affordable homes or real expensive. I will check this out when I get down there. Leaving 4:30 am Sun the 7th. Driving alone. Pray for me please. I'll log back in when I'm settled. Please keep the suggestions coming. God bless all of you & thank you so much!!!

We are not high income. Check Zillow for price ranges. There were some affluent folks there, but Sun City Grand across the highway was much more so.

Hi Shirley, I don't live anywhere near AZ but....

welcome1.jpg

There are two aspects to this. The first is the idea of 55+. Many, many years ago I visited my Aunt and Uncle in such a community and even though I was a mere "pup" at the time, I knew it was what I wanted.The commonality of circumstances means you will have friends ready to "do something" Wednesday afternoon rather than the "working" environment of, "Let's get together Saturday night". My view - the bigger the better. The more people, the greater the possibility of trying new stuff (very important).

The second is the site built vs manufactured and own the land vs rent the land. The best for you depends on your fiscal situation and your plans for the future. That is always a very personal decision requiring a lot of thought.

Thank you for your thoughts Ray. Very much appreciated.

Thank you again Manatee. I am here & will begin my search this weekend. If anyone thinks of anything else that might help me please share. Blessings

Thank you so much RadishRose. Love it.

My wife and I bought a "Park Model" mobile home in a 55+ RV community. The price was under 30,000 and the yearly lot rental is about $4,400. It's a real nice park that includes an indoor swimming pool. There are many, many snowbirds that winter there and they have lots of activities scheduled through the season. The name of ours is Desert Shadows (http://www.phoenixrvresorts.com/) , but there are others in the area. We will be heading down there the Friday after Thanksgiving and will be staying till end of May. Last year was our first winter down there and the weather was fantastic. Can't wait to get back down there. The prices have went up some since we bought ours, but they are still affordable.
    Last edited by phoenixbound; 10-15-2018 at 08:08 AM.

Phoenixbound, thank you very much. I will check it out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.