Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Cynical about Halloween

I live in a security building so I don't participate in Halloween.

Like all holidays Halloween is what you make of it. It can be an inexpensive time for the family to carve a pumpkin or make a costume out of odds and ends or a time to go all out with a giant holiday display from the local home center.

I think if you focus on what it means to the small children in your family and neighborhood it can be an inexpensive family event that will provide lots of great memories.

Please keep an eye on the children and make Halloween a safe holiday.

I think I'm in Florida, but I'm not sure any more......my GPS blew away.
    My late husband and I were nuts for Halloween and never missed a big party. We would work hard on our costumes and have such a great time.
    If we're ever in a situation where I am "the voice of reason", then we are in a very, very bad situation.

I buy lotsa candy for Halloweenies handouts, then eat it all myself. LOL!

Stuck inside of Mobile, with the Memphis Blues again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marie5656 View Post
    To be honest I was never much of a Halloween person. Except for the influx of horror movies in October, I like them. We darken the house on Halloween and do not answer the door.
    I like the horror movies too.

Saw a good one on Netflix just the other day.

It's called "Terrifier"

Quite a gorefest.

Warning, it's not for the weak of heart. Or stomach.

"Some velvet morning when I'm straight"

I loved Halloween as a kid and when my kids were growing up. My Grand kids enjoy it but it's not the fun it use to be. Today they have curfews, only wrapped candy for safety sake and most go to parties or gather in a well lit parking lot where families will park their cars in a circle and hand out candy. We worked for our candy . I remember helping my Mom put some candy in napkins with a string around that she would give out on Halloween while I was out probably collecting the exact same candy she gave out. Sometimes we would get an apple or a pear. We stayed out late and safety was not an issue back then.

When I was a kid, we knew which houses gave out the good stuff. One lady always handed out home made pastries. They never made it into the bag. Back then, a cheap mask was considered a costume.

Don

Yes it is a fun day and I have no problem with it except for the theme.

Trick or Treat. I don't like that.

We live in a rural setting and the only time we had any kids was our first year here.
    I carved a pumpkin, decorated the end of the driveway and our doorway and only one dad showed up with his kids in a car. He says the only reason he stopped was because I’d gone through all that trouble and he knew nobody else was going to stop so he did. Awwww and he was right so his kids got handfuls of candy each. They were very glad they stopped but it was the first and last time I decorated.

As a a kid I loved going out for Halloween. As a younger adult I lived dressing up to go out to parties but my man isn’t into much of anything so that ended once he came into the picture.

When I was a kid we went out with pillow cases cause we were greedy but also because they were easier to carry.
    One place about a mile away was a woman who would make handmade candy apples. I know! Crazy right?
    She would make you do a trick and since I loved the candy apples I’d always sing for her. Luckily she liked my singing cause I always got the candy apple whereas my brothers always passed. Their theory was that the amount of time it took to get the treat , they could have visited 10 other houses. Lol

Each year we came home with between 10 to 15 pounds of candy each and that wasn’t including apples.
    Why do people give regular apples anyway.? They would just get all bruised and bashed anyway.

I have Pumpkins on my porch, a fake pumpkin face lit up in my front window....I love to see the kiddies dressed up....I mostly get the little ones...Some middle
    schoolers...Not many older kids....I remember trick or treating and I want the kiddies to have as much fun as I did when I was a young girl....
    I love all Holiday's....Especially Christmas....

Well, I learned something today: holy day turned into the word "holiday".
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Marie5656 View Post
    To be honest I was never much of a Halloween person. Except for the influx of horror movies in October, I like them. We darken the house on Halloween and do not answer the door.
    Yes the movies on SyFy and Ghostfest runs all of October, I luv em'.....
    Delicious Autumn! my very soul is wedded to it...and if i were a bird, I would fly about the earth seeking successive Autumns....George Eliot

Quote Originally Posted by Grampa Don View Post
    I don't understand people who get upset over Halloween. Sure, it started as a pagan festival. So what? For most people in the US it has no religious significance. People used to believe in witches and goblins. Now they laugh at them. Is that bad? Or do you still think they are real.

Kids and even adults like to dress up in costumes. Look at the success of Comic Cons. The candy is just a small part of it. They can get that any time. The big deal is dressing up and seeing how others are dressed. Would you really want to take that away from the kids?

Sure, it's commercialized. Everything is. That's free enterprise. Look at the price of Mother's day cards.

El Dia de los Muertos is something different. The locals were celebrating that long before the Spanish arrived. It's a serious time to honor and remember those who have died.

Happy Columbus Day, or as the city of Los Angeles has declared, Indigenous Peoples Day.

Don
    Totally agree with you Don....
    Delicious Autumn! my very soul is wedded to it...and if i were a bird, I would fly about the earth seeking successive Autumns....George Eliot

Quote Originally Posted by treeguy64 View Post
    Who cares? If you like Halloween, dress up and go out to trick or treat, or carve a pumpkin, put it outside, and answer your door when kids in costumes show up. If you don't like Halloween, don't do anything. Your call.
    Ha you got that right TG....H'ween is my favorite day of the year, or should I say the whole pre-holiday thing.....my house is spookily decorated to the max with help from my gr'daughter, I drive around to enjoy the creativity of the house decorations wth lights and pumpkins at nite, then I walk around our town gazebo where kids and adults are dressed up and the merchants along Main Street give out treats, so its a safe place on H'ween and lots of good clean fun....I'm never home that nite whether I'm feeling well or not

Quote Originally Posted by jujube View Post
    My late husband and I were nuts for Halloween and never missed a big party. We would work hard on our costumes and have such a great time.
    My Mom and Dad did this every year after joining the Elks....their costumes were awesome, i.e., bumble bees, french maid (my Dad) and the butler (my Mom) lol....can remember my uncle dressing as a woman too, it was hysterically funny

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.