Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Still Have not Heard From My Tax Preparer

Then why ask us Deb? Do you think we are CPA authorities?

Yes, your paranoia is about money has gotten the best of you. I bet he's cheap, too..

This has become ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by RadishRose View Post
    Then why ask us Deb? Do you think we are CPA authorities?

Yes, your paranoia is about money has gotten the best of you. I bet he's cheap, too..

This has become ridiculous.
    And another

Deb -- you don't want to ANNOY HIM??? Good Lord, stand up for yourself and get your stuff back!!

How in the world is he going to empty your bank accounts?? That's just silly. In the first place, if he's been doing your taxes for years, he's probably got your account number in his files, as does anyone to whom you have EVER written a check. In the second place, if this worries you so much, close your current bank accounts and open new ones. In the third place, if you are going to be so paranoid about your financial documents, learn to do your own taxes.

You're letting this guy walk all over you because you are afraid to confront him. Just get it over with -- take someone with you if you are so afraid of him. You should be a hell of a lot more afraid of the IRS than you are of some random cut-rate tax preparer.

This is the kind of thing that happens when you always try to hire the cheapest person to do stuff for you.

Good God woman, get another tax person working for you and kick this person to the curb!

Stuck inside of Mobile, with the Memphis Blues again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    I would go over there, demand my documents back, and take them to another (reputable) tax preparer, like H&R Block, for instance.
    I don't know what they are like today but back in the 1990's I worked for H&R Block part time for a couple of seasons and they were basically a loan sharking operation charging people exorbitant fees for "Rapid Refunds" AKA "Refund Anticipation Loans". I hated it, but needed to take on a second job to get out of debt incured due to a nasty divorce. So I sucked it up for a while. But finally I got to the point where I was trying to talk customers out of getting ripped off by them. Eventually the manager of the store I was at came to me and told me my services were no longer required. When she did relief washed over me like a warm summer breeze. That was the happiest day of my H&R Block experiance.
    "Some velvet morning when I'm straight"

Quote Originally Posted by Trade View Post
    I don't know what they are like today but back in the 1990's I worked for H&R Block part time for a couple of seasons and they were basically a loan sharking operation charging people exorbitant fees for "Rapid Refunds" AKA "Refund Anticipation Loans". I hated it, but needed to take on a second job to get out of debt incured due to a nasty divorce. So I sucked it up for a while. But finally I got to the point where I was trying to talk customers out of getting ripped off by them. Eventually the manager of the store I was at came to me and told me my services were no longer required. When she did relief washed over me like a warm summer breeze. That was the happiest day of my H&R Block experiance.
    My experience with them has been very different, and I don't know anyone here who has had any complaints about them. However, I did not start using them until the late 90s or maybe even into the 2000s. I'm sure there are differences in different parts of the country, also.

My point was, and is, there are many different people and entities who may offer to prepare your tax return, but it is imperative that a person uses one who is authorized by the IRS to do so and who has a PTIN (a number issued by the IRS) and that he/she/it signs your return using said number. Also, you need to know that only preparers with certain credentials can represent you before the IRS if there is a problem with your return and/or may be liable to you if they make an error which costs you money.

Tax preparation, particularly if you have a complicated return (and IMHO even if you have a simple one) is not an area in which you want to use a cut-rate service or try to pinch pennies.

To paraphrase what someone on this board said about trust preparation, if you think good professional tax preparation is expensive, wait until you see what sloppy or bad preparation will cost you.

Unanswered emails and phone calls. Two visits to his home office were unproductive (nobody answered the door, or who I assume is his wife said he wasn't home and didn't know when he'd b back).
    When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Lucky you that the IRS is so forgiving when people like you haven't submitted their tax form. You could paste & copy all the times you complained about your tax preparer not responding to your emails. I'm sure the IRS will not penalize you if you owe, because you will have a record here of what you were trying to do.

Whatever you do DON"T copy & paste the advice given by many to go get your info and have a reputable tax preparer fill out your tax forms in a timely manner.

I can take SOME comfort in this excerpt I found on an H&R Block Web page:

If you missed the tax deadline but are due a refund there is no penalty. The government is happy to hold on to your money, interest-free, for a bit longer. In fact, you have up to three years from the filing deadline to complete a return and get that refund.
    When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Quote Originally Posted by debodun View Post
    Unanswered emails and phone calls. Two visits to his home office were unproductive (nobody answered the door, or who I assume is his wife said he wasn't home and didn't know when he'd b back).
    I think this has been mentioned before, but I would run to the BBB and report him. Where I live one of the local news stations has a Investigative reporter, who takes on cases like yours. People being ripped off by local contractors, or getting insufficient or very poor service. Very often there are positive results. A recent story on bad practices at a local nursing home now has the NY Attorney General involved.
    Don't Stop Believing

Quote Originally Posted by Marie5656 View Post
    I think this has been mentioned before, but I would run to the BBB and report him. Where I live one of the local news stations has a Investigative reporter, who takes on cases like yours. People being ripped off by local contractors, or getting insufficient or very poor service. Very often there are positive results. A recent story on bad practices at a local nursing home now has the NY Attorney General involved.
    Run to the BBB? For what - exercise?
    The Better Business Bureau is worthless and pathetically ineffective. All they do is record each partie's side/version of the complaint. BBB has no authority whatsoever to do anything.

A news station consumer advocate might get some action, but remember debodun doesn't want to annoy the guy.

I'd tell the police this guy has had my tax documents since (date) and now you can't find him. See what they say.

Then, reconstruct your tax info- you're smart enough- and diy!

Quote Originally Posted by Knight View Post
    Lucky you that the IRS is so forgiving when people like you haven't submitted their tax form. You could paste & copy all the times you complained about your tax preparer not responding to your emails. I'm sure the IRS will not penalize you if you owe, because you will have a record here of what you were trying to do.

Whatever you do DON"T copy & paste the advice given by many to go get your info and have a reputable tax preparer fill out your tax forms in a timely manner.
    Evidently you have never had a run-in with the IRS. Trust me, the IRS does not give a fat flying you-know-what about the reasons a person hasn't filed. The onus is on the taxpayer to file timely or get an extension and pay whatever taxes he thinks may be due -- no matter what. And I can assure you the IRS wouldn't care about some messages posted on an internet board. Anyone who thinks the IRS has a heart is WAY out in the weeds.

Quote Originally Posted by RadishRose View Post
    I'd tell the police this guy has had my tax documents since (date) and now you can't find him. See what they say.

Then, reconstruct your tax info- you're smart enough- and diy!
    The police would most likely say it's a civil matter, which it is. The guy didn't steal her papers/documents.

I'd prefer the police use my tax dollars to go after murderers, thieves, rapists, drug dealers, etc.

AC probably so. But a well-check at the house wouldn't hurt, I was thinking,,,, with an explanation as to why the well-check was performed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.