Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Still Have not Heard From My Tax Preparer

Quote Originally Posted by RadishRose View Post
    I'd tell the police this guy has had my tax documents since (date) and now you can't find him. See what they say.

Then, reconstruct your tax info- you're smart enough- and diy!
    Well, I betcha the police would say "too bad you gave them to the guy." It's not like he stole them, and probably isn't really breaking any law. I doubt chasing after people who won't give back other people's stuff is way high on the police's priority list.

I guess Deb could take him to court, but that would take forever and cost a buncha money, and she would have to legally prove she gave them to him, which without a receipt of some verifiable kind is a study in futility.

The only way out I see that really would work is to reconstruct that tax stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by debodun View Post
    Unanswered emails and phone calls. Two visits to his home office were unproductive (nobody answered the door, or who I assume is his wife said he wasn't home and didn't know when he'd b back).
    It should be pretty obvious to you, by now, that you are being scammed. If this guys wife doesn't know where he is, you are probably just one of many who are being treated this way. If it were me, I would go to the police, and file a complaint of "Consumer Fraud" against this guy...They will be able to "find" him, and probably get your paperwork back. And, as someone else mentioned, tell your story to a local TV station...they have investigative reporters who Love stories like this. One good broadcast on the local news should suffice to put this jerk out of business. You almost have some Obligation to take action against such a person...he should not be allowed to stay in business, and continue to fleece people.
    "Do Not regret growing older...it is a Privilege denied to many."

This guy got me off the hook for $40K the IRS said I owed them in 2002. I've been going to him since because he is an IRS certified CPA and seems to know all the ins and outs of tax law. I was grateful for that - another reason I wouldn't want to step on his toes.
    When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all.

Ok Deb, then leave it alone.

He can't do anything now about your 2002 taxes....unless you cheated the IRS.

When he sends you a bill, pay him in 2 or 3 years.

"For the times they are a changin'."
    -- Bob Dylan

Quote Originally Posted by C'est Moi View Post
    When he sends you a bill, pay him in 2 or 3 years.
    Sounds good...

I have now finished my AZ and HI state returns, and will mail them on Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
    Good job Hoot. Better late than never?

In future always make copies of all your tax documents before giving them to an accountant. Then if lost, you can reconstruct your returns.

After the April deadline passed. I did get dupes of my 1099s and interest statements.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
    Do you have some time to work on Deb's tax return?

Quote Originally Posted by debodun View Post
    This guy got me off the hook for $40K the IRS said I owed them in 2002. I've been going to him since because he is an IRS certified CPA and seems to know all the ins and outs of tax law. I was grateful for that - another reason I wouldn't want to step on his toes.
    He did a good job for you in 2002 Deb, that's fine, but there must be many IRS certified tax preparers around for you to find another one who is more responsible and efficient now. It's not reasonable in my opinion, for you to be concerned about 'stepping on his toes'.....he's working for you and getting paid for it. I'd drop him and find someone else who will do your taxes in a timely fashion without any weak excuses. Of course, the final decision is up to you.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.