Thinking of moving to NC or Oregon. Any insights?

Thinking of moving to NC or Oregon. Any insights?

I have been priced out of Seattle, my rent has risen by $550 in 4 years in south Seattle and it's just not affordable here. I want to move somewhere where I could eventually buy a home and I could never afford one here. I am considering Raleigh/Durham or Asheville, NC and Corvallis or Eugene, Oregon. I would, of course, rent for a year to get to know a new community. I want somewhere with a moderate climate (I've grown to like our rain here), lots of cultural and educational events, lovely scenery with places nearby to explore and fairly near an airport as I love to travel. I don't mind an hours commute to the airport. I am seeking some input on any of these places, are they friendly communities, is it easy to get around, are there senior organizations or other organizations to join to make new friends?

Thanks, Redjan

Janet. Glad you joined the group.

Many things to consider when trying to decide where to move; climate, type of neighborhoods etc.

Listen to everybody who tries to help. Let us know what you decide. Hope we can help.
    John

Hi Janet. I live in NC and have visited Boone, Valle Crucis, Brevard (often visited my mother in Connestee Falls community in Brevard), and Asheville in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Also, more centrally located between the mountains and the ocean there's Raleigh, Cary, and Charlotte (not a fan of Charlotte). Then near the beach there's Wilmington if you don't mind hurricanes. Duke Hospital is great. Feel free to ask me about any of those.

I used to live in Ivy Virginia near Charlottesville and loved it there with beautiful horse country, views of the Blue Ridge mountains, a charming outdoor mall, college town, good UVA hospital, country clubs, and friendly people.

Quote Originally Posted by Lara View Post
    Hi Janet. I live in NC and have visited Boone, Valle Crucis, Brevard (often visited my mother in Connestee Falls community in Brevard), and Asheville in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Also, more centrally located between the mountains and the ocean there's Raleigh, Cary, and Charlotte (not a fan of Charlotte). Then near the beach there's Wilmington if you don't mind hurricanes. Duke Hospital is great. Feel free to ask me about any of those.

I used to live in Ivy Virginia near Charlottesville and loved it there with beautiful horse country, views of the Blue Ridge mountains, a charming outdoor mall, college town, good UVA hospital, country clubs, and friendly people.
    I am interested in Asheville and Raleigh but alsoo in Ivy, Virginia. I looked a lot at Charlottesville and have been there, though only for a day. It was lovely. My oldest son's family (my only grandchildren) will be in D.C. for 2 years starting in July 2019. I wanted to spend time near them but thought Charlottesville too expensive. Is Ivy a bit cheaper for rental apartments? It sounds lovely, I briefly considered Staunton but think it may be too small and too far from a major airport.

Is it easy to get around in Raleigh or Asheville? Do you need a car or how is transportation? Are there places you could live, like a downtown area, where you wouldn't need a car? I have a budget of about $1300 for rent, is that enough to get a decent 2 bedroom? Where is it best to live, further out from town or closer in? Is it safe to go out at night alone? I am single and don't mind going out after dark short distances but could go out to something at one of the universities at night and feel relatively safe?

I appreciate your willingness to answer some questions. I have neverr been to NC but will certainly go and stay a bit if it seems like a strong contender for a new home. Ivy, Virginia does sound like a place I should investigate. Thanks

I grew up in northern Idaho, and lived for many years in western Washington, and now live in northern Alabama.
    I miss the beautiful mountains along the Cascades, and being able to see Mt. Rainier and Mt. St. Helens on the clear days. I lived near Mossyrock, which is a lot cheaper than the Seattle area, but probably still more expensive than some places out here in the South.
    The climate is moderate here; but MUCH more humid than the west coast, so that is something to consider as well. I like not having snow (which I had to deal with in Idaho), and the longer growing season here. Although it is about the same as you have in western Washington.

My daughter lives here, which is why I moved here; so I am not apt to live anywhere else, and really would not want to have to go through moving cross-country anymore.
    However, if that was not an issue, I would live along the Pacific Ocean, somewhere near Astoria.
    It is a beautiful little town, and just the right size, and close to ocean beaches up and down the coast. Some of those smaller towns used to be reasonable to buy property in, but I imagine they have gone up in price also.
    Corvallis is a college town, and I believe it would be more expensive to live there, and probably in Eugene as well; but there are probably some outlying smaller towns where prices would be affordable around there, too.
    One awesome thing about the internet, you can browse real estate, and information about a place before you even think about moving anywhere.
    I will love the light for it shows me the way, yet I will endure the darkness because it shows me the stars....... Og Mandino

Hi Redjan, no advice about the move, but we have done some camping in Oregon, very pretty there, we especially liked the coast.

Quote Originally Posted by Happyflowerlady View Post
    I grew up in northern Idaho, and lived for many years in western Washington, and now live in northern Alabama.
    I miss the beautiful mountains along the Cascades, and being able to see Mt. Rainier and Mt. St. Helens on the clear days. I lived near Mossyrock, which is a lot cheaper than the Seattle area, but probably still more expensive than some places out here in the South.
    The climate is moderate here; but MUCH more humid than the west coast, so that is something to consider as well. I like not having snow (which I had to deal with in Idaho), and the longer growing season here. Although it is about the same as you have in western Washington.

My daughter lives here, which is why I moved here; so I am not apt to live anywhere else, and really would not want to have to go through moving cross-country anymore.
    However, if that was not an issue, I would live along the Pacific Ocean, somewhere near Astoria.
    It is a beautiful little town, and just the right size, and close to ocean beaches up and down the coast. Some of those smaller towns used to be reasonable to buy property in, but I imagine they have gone up in price also.
    Corvallis is a college town, and I believe it would be more expensive to live there, and probably in Eugene as well; but there are probably some outlying smaller towns where prices would be affordable around there, too.
    One awesome thing about the internet, you can browse real estate, and information about a place before you even think about moving anywhere.
    It is pretty awesome to be able to find out prices in various cities. Corvallis and Eugene have some decent prices, I pay close to $1700 now so anything a few hundred dollars less seems good to me. Astoria is pretty and that's a thought as it is so close. I want to be in or very near a college town. Thanks for your input.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.