Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Virginia Will Arrest Your Kids For Trick or Treating if Over 12

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
    Well, it sounds ridiculous, but on reading the article, I don't think they are really going after 13-year-olds collecting candy. They are probably warning the teenagers against real mischief and vandalism, and what's so terrible

about that? I don't know anything about the community of Chesapeake, but maybe they have had a huge crime rate on Halloween, and something had to be done.
    I think so, too -- I think they are more going after the "trick" part of trick or treating, i.e., vandalism and destruction of property.

Sorry, read my next reply. One of the reasons this might not be such a bad idea. One thing for sure, some young folks, not small kids, don't treat Halloween as a fun and costume thing for Trick or Treating.
    Love Rocky Mountain And Yellowstone National Parks

Just read the article, not as stupid as I thought. They are trying to curb the older Halloween crowd mischief and crime thing. That isn't so bad.

Look at it this way: Due to a fall at a pre-Halloween Party, that hurt my foot, we decided to limit the number of Trick or Treaters that came. Our complex management tells all residents each year, "if you don't want, or had enough, Trick or Treaters, close your blinds and curtains."

Well, after a few nice Trick or Treaters showed up, wife and I decided that was enough. Just before shutting off the outside Halloween décor lights and closing the blinds/curtains, a teen, or a little older, knocked on our door. Wife answered and gave him some candy. Thing is, he had no costume on. NOW, after he left, and we turned off outside lights and closed blinds/curtains, someone knocked on our door a few times and my wife said "sorry, no more candy". Next thing we know, the door knob was turning slightly, but was locked as well as the deadbolt was locked. Scared the crap out of wife and I! Whom ever it was, did go away, but they did try to open our door.

Had never had anything like this happen before.
    Love Rocky Mountain And Yellowstone National Parks

Quote Originally Posted by MarkinPhx View Post
    Amen!

Good point........Now, I must admit that I do not participate in all hallows eve.

I keep the lights low, the blinds closed. I never have any little ghosts or goblins at my door.

When I was a kid Halloween was mainly for the kids and teens. Sadly my generation kind of took it over and it has become more of an adult event now. It would be nice if that changed. Sure there are teens who use the night as an excuse to be unruly but I'm in no position to judge them. I wasn't exactly a saint on Halloween night when I was an older teen. I'm sure stores sold a lot of eggs and toilet paper on that day.

My dad is now 88 and grew up in rural central Texas and I remember him telling me the pranks he and his friends use to pull on Halloween night. Some of the things they use to do he is ashamed of now.

Mark, I'm also guilty of pranks. And so was my own mother when she was a teen!

i would rather give them the candy instead of them out smoking or drinking

Just a thought.
    My thoughts exactly, Mark. Teenagers are still kids, too. Let them have some fun, good grief. (But honestly, I'm more annoyed that a town council wasted time passing an ordinance...how freakin' absurd.)

"For the times they are a changin'."
    -- Bob Dylan

My grandson is 6 and looks and acts 8.
    Dont mess with him!
    Must be the only town in the country without a drug problem,meth labs and domestic violence if they can waste their law enforcement and court resources on this!!!!!

When I was a kid Halloween was mainly for the kids and teens. Sadly my generation kind of took it over and it has become more of an adult event now. It would be nice if that changed. Sure there are teens who use the night as an excuse to be unruly but I'm in no position to judge them. I wasn't exactly a saint on Halloween night when I was an older teen. I'm sure stores sold a lot of eggs and toilet paper on that day.

My dad is now 88 and grew up in rural central Texas and I remember him telling me the pranks he and his friends use to pull on Halloween night. Some of the things they use to do he is ashamed of now.

You're right....it has become more of an adult holiday . I heard just recently that it is THE [more-favored] holiday by adults. One reason why it ranks over Christmas ....they say.... Is because it is much less stressful.

I know that the 3 or 4 houses of young adults that live behind me....sure have a ball with it. LOL...they take their kids out, but the party is across their yards.

Quote Originally Posted by RadishRose View Post
    Mark, I'm also guilty of pranks. And so was my own mother when she was a teen!
    I think that we were pretty tame compared to some of the pranks from the old days!!!

How in the heck....... ?

My mother and her friends cut someone's clothesline down. They were loooong in those days and propped up by posts.

She tied the guy's front door to his back door, rang the doorbell and ran. He couldn't get out of his house except by window.

I thought it was genius.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.