Kind Of Music Your Kids Listened To Growing Up

Kind Of Music Your Kids Listened To Growing Up

Now, I'm talking about while they were still living at home and in grade school thru high school. Did they listen to what you were listening to? I've been sort of shocked how many young people, our kids age today, know some old Classic Rock groups. I've heard "that's the kind of music my parents listened to all the time." "My parents" meaning, us Seniors.

Only music my step-parents listened to was the Saturday night Lawrence Welk Show. Definitely not my kind of music and I'd try to head upstairs to my bedroom to avoid that show and music.
    Love Rocky Mountain And Yellowstone National Parks

You didn't like the lovely Lennon Sisters?

I once danced to live Lawrence Welk at the Aragon Ballroom on Lick Pier in Santa Monica. My date's Dad and Mom took us and another couple along. We were by far the youngest people in the room.

Don

Quote Originally Posted by Grampa Don View Post
    You didn't like the lovely Lennon Sisters?

I once danced to live Lawrence Welk at the Aragon Ballroom on Lick Pier in Santa Monica. My date's Dad and Mom took us and another couple along. We were by far the youngest people in the room.

Don
    Would've much rather look at Stevie Nicks (Fleetwood Mac), Pat Benetar, Debra Harry (Blondie) or Grace Slick (Jefferson Airplane). IOW, I was much more of a "Rocker" than what Lawrence Welk had on his show.

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicRockr View Post
    Would've much rather look at Stevie Nicks (Fleetwood Mac), Pat Benetar, Debra Harry (Blondie) or Grace Slick (Jefferson Airplane). IOW, I was much more of a "Rocker" than what Lawrence Welk had on his show.
    This was long before the people you mention were popular, 1956.

Don

My daughter was a Dylan fan, in fact she covered a lot of his music with her band.. .. she was a fan of Blur, The jam, Manic street preachers, Pulp, Candy Duffer/Dave Stewart , Fleetwood Mac

Apart from Dylan & Fleetwood Mac .. she had no interest in any music from the 70's, which was my Era...

That's interesting, Holly, because I feel so bad for the younger generations of today, because they've missed out on the great music of the sixties. Kidding, but mostly serious. They call it the music of our lives. And it seems that the lives that we feel and remember the most, are those days of being teenagers and young adults. We were so new then.

P.S. I do love Dylan.
    Sing, sing a song. Make it simple to last your whole life long - The Carpenters

When my daughter was junior high age, she liked Michael Jackson. As she became a teenager she switched to heavy metal like metallica, ac/dc, anything loud with lots of metal and bass-she still likes it .

My son listened to the hair bands, hard rock, classic rock, big band and classical music- whatever was playing in the house. Of course he most appreciated what all his peers were listening to but fortunately has a broader base, now.

Music is music. I don't feel it's bound to any particular generation, forevermore. When we grow up things "taste better" than when we were kids. It's nice to like some of everything.

Quote Originally Posted by RadishRose View Post
    My son listened to the hair bands, hard rock, classic rock, big band and classical music- whatever was playing in the house. Of course he most appreciated what all his peers were listening to but fortunately has a broader base, now.

Music is music. I don't feel it's bound to any particular generation, forevermore. When we grow up things "taste better" than when we were kids. It's nice to like some of everything.
    Music is NOT music. Believe me as a former drummer. I was never interested in Heavy Metal and Hard Rock, like Poison, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Anthrax and so on. OTOH, I was into Steppenwolf, some Kiss and Van Halen and that big hit by Iron Butterfly (was suppose to be called "In The Garden of Eden", but).

Do you have any idea how many rock fans hated, and I do mean "hated", Disco? Wife and I don't, but there are those that don't. Then there is that Christian Rock that I can't get into either, but.

My wife got me into Motown when I met her and, if not for her, would never even known what Motown music even was.

Stuck inside of Mobile, with the Memphis Blues again.
    My kids were big fans of Guns and Roses. My oldest son still is. He went to a Guns and Roses reunion concert in Nashville just last year. Picture that. A 43 year old retired Army master sergeant at a Guns and Roses concert.
    "Some velvet morning when I'm straight"

Stuck inside of Mobile, with the Memphis Blues again.
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassicRockr View Post
    IOW, I was much more of a "Rocker" than what Lawrence Welk had on his show.
    Our local PBS station plays Lawrence Welk reruns every week. My wife loves the Lawrence Welk show. So every Saturday at 6pm I dutifully tune it in and pretend that I like it. In fact I just finished sitting though another one of those hour long Dorkfests just a short time ago.

"Some velvet morning when I'm straight"

What I remember Elvis Presley was just starting to get popular.

He appeared on the Ed Sullivan show which we faithfully watched every Sunday night at the pool room. That was the only t.v. we had access to.

When he started gyrating we actually were convulsed in laughter. We thought he was funny.

My son had top rated equipment for listening to music. Much more a music lover than me.

He liked singers like Phil Collins and Olivia Newton

I think I'm in Florida, but I'm not sure any more......my GPS blew away.
    When my daughter was a young teen, the 60s music was enjoying a revival. She was highly offended that I knew all the words.

I remember my kids having Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Metallica, Radio Head and various metal bands posters. Our middle son loved Led Zepplin so he "borrowed" my CDs. For a moment there I was the Cool Mom.

"For the times they are a changin'."
    -- Bob Dylan

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.