Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Downsize living

When we retired in 2001, we hit the road in a 40' fifth-wheel with 3 slideouts. It was like an apartment...haha. We did that for 3 1/2 years and then finally bought a "real" house. It was fine back then because we were much younger and able to get around and up and down.

We've watched those shows for tiny houses and think...no way! They are definitely for the young. No way would I crawl up to a loft to sleep....and no way on a ladder! The steps are even very narrow. Besides, I'm a quilter and I like doing other needlework so there would be no space for storage.

They never show what their tiny houses are towed with either. I bet those suckers are VERY heavy. Our fifth-wheel was a 3-axle so we had to have a heavy duty truck to pull it. We had Corian countertops in the kitchen and bathroom and tile floors in those rooms also. All the cabinets were solid oak. It was very heavy, so I can't imagine what those tiny homes weigh.

I honestly don't think they realize what they're getting into. From the ones I've seen on these shows they have very small storage areas and believe me, you need "stuff". Our fifth-wheel had tons of storage...much more than any tiny homes I've seen.

We saw a young couple that actually bought a large fifth-wheel instead of a tiny home.

Tiny homes come in all designs and sizes, including first floor bedrooms. Theyíre def more complicated to move than an R.V. Since Iím single and of a certain age, Iím not so interested in moving about, (i did my share of moving as a military brat). My interest is in a foundation tiny home. Itís interesting how many downsizing options there are these days. Perhaps some of the attraction of tiny homes for me is that Iím still a hippee at heart and enjoy unconventional ways. Takes all kinds to make the world go Ďround!

Quote Originally Posted by RadishRose View Post
    RR, that would be perfect for me!!!

The only problem for me would be the neighbors.

I can't imagine what some of those people are thinking that buy the tiny houses and plan to live in them with children! Kids take up a lot of room.

Someone a couple miles from me put in a tiny home. I'm guessing 3 or 4 hundred Sq Ft. I'll try to take a photo of it the next time we go out. I would sure like to go in it and see how it looks with all their stuff in it.

People forget how much room is devoted just to things like a box of Kleenex, a book or 2, the TV remote, external speakers for the computer, the computer, a foot stool to prop your legs up, a bottle or 2 of wine, a mug full of pens, the fly swatter, the phone, that tall box of cereal, can of air freshener, medications and first aid kit, etc. For those that truly want to downsize I'd say it's great but I'd sure want to have one heck of a HUGE yard.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda View Post
    I can't imagine what some of those people are thinking that buy the tiny houses and plan to live in them with children! Kids take up a lot of room.

Someone a couple miles from me put in a tiny home. I'm guessing 3 or 4 hundred Sq Ft. I'll try to take a photo of it the next time we go out. I would sure like to go in it and see how it looks with all their stuff in it.

People forget how much room is devoted just to things like a box of Kleenex, a book or 2, the TV remote, external speakers for the computer, the computer, a foot stool to prop your legs up, a bottle or 2 of wine, a mug full of pens, the fly swatter, the phone, that tall box of cereal, can of air freshener, medications and first aid kit, etc. For those that truly want to downsize I'd say it's great but I'd sure want to have one heck of a HUGE yard.
    How right you are, Linda! You don't really think about that ordinary living space that you have in a home. Sure, you can downsize, but once you start trying to find places to put "stuff" you understand what downsizing really means.

After living in a 40' fifth-wheel that had 3 slideouts, not to mention keeping the towing weight down, you do without a LOT of things. We did it for 3 1/2 years but I sure was glad to buy a house again.

I watched an episode on Youtube about tiny living and this one "senior" lady had sold her large home and moved into a (maybe) 300SF tiny house. They gave a tour of her place and it was PACKED with stuff. There was a path from the front door to the bathroom in the back. She had 2 loft places (one on each end) and they were both full of stuff. Every surface in the kitchen was lined with things. She had a recliner chair and she ate on her lap. I couldn't understand having all that clutter. It would drive me nuts but she loved it. To each his own

Colleen, I hadn't thought about looking at small home living on Youtube. I'll have to do that. I spend a lot of time watching Youtube videos.

I could keep 2 pens and throw the rest of the mugful away Then, I'd have enough room. dhUOuPYZcZvGXGxpJZZV.gif

Quote Originally Posted by RadishRose View Post
    I could keep 2 pens and throw the rest of the mugful away Then, I'd have enough room. dhUOuPYZcZvGXGxpJZZV.gif
    TWO pens?! No way, I'd want more than that. Not to mention highlighters and Sharpie markers. If you saw my house you'd think I was a pen whore. And they all work too.

Thatís awesome! Reminds me of my childhood.

I have down-sized but did not get a small house of which you speak. I did take a long look at some of those small houses but the misses didn't go for them. I had a four bedroom, formal dining, two bath, garage stocked too full of furniture and accomulated stuff. I moved from a small city of two hundred thirty thousand friendly people to a smaller town of say about one hundred thousand of the most unfriendly folks ever I met. I sold and gave away most of what I owned, because I got myself in a fix. I didnt think my house would sell so quick. I sold and didn't have a place to live. I went from about twenty-eight hundred square feet to the smallesrt place I could find and afford in my new local, 872 SF. (see below)
    It is in central city, lower middle-class neighborhood or maybe upper poor. It was an adjustment and after all is said and done I don't think we could have lived in a smaller house. One person might. I wish you luck.

IMG_3706.jpg
    My place is behind the tree.

The only thing I know about tiny house living is what I've gleaned from watching HGTV's Tiny Homes and a documentary about tiny home living. One has to be careful about zoning laws according to one couple who found out the hard way. Some of those cute little homes are mobile and hopefully built sturdy enough to withstand the roads. I'm thinking a reputable tiny home manufacturer/builder would know the ropes.

A park model would be far more civilized.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.