Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Living with Diabetes

Quote Originally Posted by Patnono View Post
    Yes, she said to go by what my doctor said? But another doctor said that she probably said that because my glucose reading was so good. That I still don't get? Their are times when I get Shakey had read that when that happens it's because your sugar is low. I don't even know how to test myself? I have the equipment for it, but can't find anyone to show me.
    This thread is starting to sound odd to me.

Detailed testing instructions are included in the package with the glucometer and the test strip refills.

In this area newly diagnosed diabetics usually attend a 3 or 4 session workshop with a dietician that goes over available medications, testing, diet, etc...

When I was first diagnosed with diabetes my PCP considered it mild and only had me test a few times each week at different times to see the range of highs and lows that I was experiencing. Now that my diabetes has become worse he has me test 3 times each day.

In another post, you mentioned that the cost of food is now higher. I believe that once you adjust to a low carb way of eating basic foods you will see your costs go down. Things like frozen vegetables, bag salads, no sugar added fruit cups, whole grain cereal and bread, chicken, tuna, sardines, etc... are not much fun but they are no more expensive than a high carb convenience food diet.

Turn off all of the noise, including my posts. Stick with the information that your instructor and your current PCP provide and IMO you will be fine.

Good luck!

I live in Australia and most chemists sell,and will show you how to,do your daily blood tests

I’m talking from expericence as I was told I had diabetes 2 however after loosing quite a bit of weight I don’t have it anymore
    I cut out quite a few carbs to loose weight and now find I can’t eat to many carbs I used to,eat 2 slices of toast for breakfast now I eat yoghurt and fruit and maybe 1/2 slice of toast.

Despite being re tested for diabetes,and being told I don’t have it .... I still test my blood at least once a month and keep,it on a great easy to,use app on my iPad .

Its nothing to be afraid of patnono wash your hands p, dry and prick your finger with device supplied with your kit ..put a drop on the test strip and if done correct your BS readings will,show up for you to write down
    I have a abbots brand device they have a toll free number anyone can ring and they will also take you through step by step

Im pretty sure any brand device would offer the same service ,they also supply batteries free of charge once a year and the device I have has a lifetime warranty so if it fails they replace free of charge for your life .,you can’t get better than that

Originally Posted by Patnono
    Yes, she said to go by what my doctor said? But another doctor said that she probably said that because my glucose reading was so good. That I still don't get? Their are times when I get Shakey had read that when that happens it's because your sugar is low. I don't even know how to test myself? I have the equipment for it, but can't find anyone to show me.

I learned on YouTube. This three minute video explains it all.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMMpeLLgdgY
    Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be. - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by radishrose View Post
    ask your class. That's what it's for.
    yes!!!

Patnono, Maybe your doc has said you are pre-diabetic, rather than being actually diabetic. I just don't buy that any doctor treating a diabetic patient would tell them not to test their blood. And why do you have testing gear if you are not supposed to use it?

My husband was diabetic, and I found that managing a diabetic diet wasn't any more expensive than a regular balanced diet, but it does require more attention, and you can't really use prepared foods which are full of sugar and salt and all kinds of unpronounceable things and are terrible for you anyway.

Make it your number one concern to figure out what's going on with your diabetes. Besides the fact that it can kill you, it can cause all kinds of awful things, such as blindness, for example. My husband largely refused to take it seriously or cooperate with dietary restrictions and medication management, which had all kinds of awful consequences.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    Patnono, Maybe your doc has said you are pre-diabetic, rather than being actually diabetic. I just don't buy that any doctor treating a diabetic patient would tell them not to test their blood. And why do you have testing gear if you are not supposed to use it?

My husband was diabetic, and I found that managing a diabetic diet wasn't any more expensive than a regular balanced diet, but it does require more attention, and you can't really use prepared foods which are full of sugar and salt and all kinds of unpronounceable things and are terrible for you anyway.

Make it your number one concern to figure out what's going on with your diabetes. Besides the fact that it can kill you, it can cause all kinds of awful things, such as blindness, for example. My husband largely refused to take it seriously or cooperate with dietary restrictions and medication management, which had all kinds of awful consequences.
    I agree with everything Butterfly wrote and will add that I'm so fearful of becoming diabetic because I've also seen the repercussions suffered by close friends and relatives who didn't take it seriously. Two went blind, several had toes, then feet, then the bottom halves of their legs amputated, one died of a massive heart attack in his early fifties as a direct result of ignoring it. All who've passed died far too young. Now I'm watching the younger set struggle with the same disease. Unfortunately, many are modeling the cavalier attitudes of their now-deceased parents. Tragic.

Patnono: Diabetes is as serious as a heart attack - which it can cause. I'd recommend that you phone your doctor's office, ask specifically if you are diabetic or pre-diabetic. If you haven't gotten a written copy of your test results, ask what they are and write them down. Then request an emailed or USPS copy of those results and start a file. (It's hard to imagine any modern doctor's office or lab that doesn't automatically generate and distribute a patient's copy these days.)

Most importantly, make a list of just a few questions before making the phone call. While they are responding with the information, open both ears, tale notes, and stop talking. (Harder than you think. Our tendency is to be thinking about what we want to say next rather than listening closely to what the other person is saying.)

TALKING about diabetics -my husband - had it now for about 10 years and medication has been ok '
    but he has just had heart surgery which went ok -- but hes heel wont heal up coz of poor blood flow
    any ideas to what would be good to have ' if anyone has the same problem ...appreciated !!

Quote Originally Posted by toffee View Post
    TALKING about diabetics -my husband - had it now for about 10 years and medication has been ok '
    but he has just had heart surgery which went ok -- but hes heel wont heal up coz of poor blood flow
    any ideas to what would be good to have ' if anyone has the same problem ...appreciated !!
    My husband had a really bad car accident and healing was a huge problem -- even his bones woldn't knit properly.. He finally healed up, but it took a very long time and they had actually told me that amputation might be the only answer if his injuries to one of his legs refused to heal. Diabetes can be a really terrible thing. I would add that he wasn't very compliant with dietary management or even medication management and that made it much worse, of course.

I hope your husband's foot heals up as it supposed to.

I've had so many loved ones who weren't/aren't remotely disciplined about diabetes management, but the price tag for that is very high. It's such an awful disease that affects the body in unseen ways.

Toffee, I hope for the best for your husband.

I have type 2 and am on pump therapy and I test four times a day. If your diabetic you should test.

I had bloodwork a month ago and have had a heck of a time getting my results from the office. That's another story, but today when we went to town we stopped at the doctor's office and I picked up my results. The doctor wrote on it that everything was normal. I was especially interested in my cholesterol because I quit taking a statin several months ago. The numbers were very good so I was pleased.

However, my HGB A1c was 6.2. That's in the prediabetic zone and since I don't have any family history (I was adopted) and I'm 72, everything is going to be a surprise from here on out. I was wondering why my doctor said this was "normal". I'm going to be much more vigilent with my diet and take off a few pounds. I'm scheduled for an appointment with him in January so I'll talk to him then.

Patnono....contact your doctor and ask questions. If you have to go back in to see him then do it. You were a defeatist in your other posts for family relationships so I think this is your personality, but prediabetes and diabetes is nothing to fool around with. There are answers if you just ask them. As far as equipment for testing goes...I don't understand that at all. You would need a Rx from the doctor to get equipment and any pharmacy will show you how to use it.

My blood test result back when I was first diagnosed was an A1C of 6.1 and my doctor said outright I was diabetic, and she was right. My overnight fasting result was 140 whereas normal would be under 100. Anyone diagnosed as "pre-diabetic" still has to live and eat as a diabetic. As much as it is said, diabetics does not get reserved. Even when I went to the "normal" of A1C of 5.7 and a overnight fasting of under 100, did not mean I was cured of diabetes. It just meant I had it controlled.
    Sing, sing a song. Make it simple to last your whole life long - The Carpenters

I don't have diabetes but I am pre-diabetic or borderline I am told.
    Sometimes this is because of stress.

I see a diabetes educator/dietician every few weeks. There is no charge for this
    and she is expert on diabetes, nutrition. Find one at your local hospital and have your primary doctor
    give you a referral. It is free for me and she will check your blood glucose level and advise you.
    I learned a lot and I watch my carb intake and decrease sugar. The primary doctor will probably not do this.

If you can't do this, then at least get a handbook that gives you the information. I have 3 books.

Quote Originally Posted by Patnono View Post
    Thanks for writing, I don't know my numbers? My doctor told me I didn't need to check my numbers? I was surprised by that? Another doctor said because my numbers must be very good? I get tested every 3 months. So far so good. And your right, I have no choice. But afraid of eating the wrong thing? There's only 3 things to eat, protein and carbs? Hard to get full.
    Carbs are the last food class you want to eat.

Veggies, protein, quality fats and WATER. Why do you have to feel full? Drink more water.

Stay away from the WHITE foods...that's not difficult.

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia View Post
    My blood test result back when I was first diagnosed was an A1C of 6.1 and my doctor said outright I was diabetic, and she was right. My overnight fasting result was 140 whereas normal would be under 100. Anyone diagnosed as "pre-diabetic" still has to live and eat as a diabetic. As much as it is said, diabetics does not get reserved. Even when I went to the "normal" of A1C of 5.7 and a overnight fasting of under 100, did not mean I was cured of diabetes. It just meant I had it controlled.
    I was shocked, to say the least, when I saw my results and realized the doctor said they were "good". I called his office yesterday and asked for an appointment to see him so I could talk to him. The receptionist said, "Your results were good...why do you need to talk to him?" I told her I was concerned about the glucose being high and the A1c. She said she didn't have anything available until the 26th and my husband has an appointment with him that day in the morning so I'm going in with him. If the doctor brushes me off I'm finding someone else.

Until then, I'm watching carbs and sugars very carefully! I did the "Are you at risk for diabetes" on the American Diabetes Association web and my risk factor is very high at 7.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.