Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Living with Diabetes

Also I have taken chromium picolinate off and on for some yrs and taking it now again and use cinammon for help control the diabetes issue. There is so much prevention if one just does the work.

To just listen to the doctors and their drugs is not my way to go. I would take a drug if everything else fails but otherwise, nope.

Jamin, I agree that the standard American diet includes far too many sugars and simple carbs. However, not all who are diabetic are there because of poor eating habits. Conversely, some humans can exist on little more than pastries and heavy carbs with no blood glucose issues whatsoever. Genetics play heavily into our tendencies to develop certain medical conditions, diabetes among them.

My personal experience through a lifetime of many different health plans and doctors - plus my observation of loved ones' experiences - has led me to Kaiser. If at some point Kaiser doesn't seem to be working for me, I will change during the next open enrollment period. For eight consecutive years KP has received five star ratings from California's Office of the Patient Advocate (this year they were the only health plans to do so). Same with Medicare ratings.

No health care plan is perfect. We each have to be responsible for our bodies and manage our health as best we can, remembering that ultimately every one of us will end up at "game over" status.

I am disinclined to take a lot of supplements but recognize that some believe that is a good way to go. To each our own.
    Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be. - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by StarSong View Post
    No, I don't think you're overreacting. In fact, I think you should be hounding your doctor for his/her lack of response to these numbers and thinking seriously about moving to a new medical group. (I have Kaiser medical care and highly recommend it.)
    I have an appointment with the doc on the 26th. They are triple booked so I'm not sure how much information or attention I'll be getting from him. I'm going to be pro-active and do my testing before I go

Where I live in AZ there is not a lot of choices for medical groups We lived and worked in So. Cal for years until we retired in 2001 (well...hubby retired) and got out of CA. I heard good and bad things about Kaiser but I don't think that's any different than any other insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
    Also I have taken chromium picolinate off and on for some yrs and taking it now again and use cinammon for help control the diabetes issue. There is so much prevention if one just does the work.

To just listen to the doctors and their drugs is not my way to go. I would take a drug if everything else fails but otherwise, nope.
    I think there are situations you can just "medicate" yourself with supplements and it works for you, but I also believe that something like diabetes is nothing to experiment with and spin the wheel of chance and see what happens.

Several months ago, there was a discussion on here about supplements and so I tried some of them and gave them to my husband because we went off our statins. What a HUGE mistake that was! Those supplements upset my stomach so much and kicked up my GERD that I couldn't lay down to sleep or hardly eat anything without being sick. My husband had a terrible case of diarrhea for weeks. Yes, we stopped taking them but didn't start taking statins again.

What I'm saying is...if it works for you...great, but it doesn't for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicRockr View Post
    Wife and I are both Diabetic II. I was diagnosed in 2008 and she was diagnosed a few years ago. We are both on Metformin, but I'm on Glipizide as well. I take two Metformin 1000mg in AM and PM along with a 5mg Glipizide. We use to test more during the week than we do now, but generally it's a couple of times a week. Our bg numbers are generally 150 or so and both of our PCP's are ok with that. We no longer have regular sugar in our home and our fruit (in a can) is always "No Sugar Added". I use Spenda and a "sugar free" creamer in my coffee, but don't drink coffee all day, just a cup or two in the AM.

We watch what we eat, but still eat a few things we really, really like, that we probably shouldn't, but....
    Exercise: Not a whole lot when it's so darn humid and hot (northeastern Florida). Do have the Wii Game, but have cut back on playing it due to my cataract surgeries right now.

It is a PITB being a Diabetic II, but better than having to use insulin everyday in a needle.

Swimming is a great exercise and because you live in the heat, it would also be refreshing, especially this time of year. Maybe you should consider swimming laps each day.
    "SEMPER FI"

Here is an important consideration to the diabetic epidemic:

https://www.naturalnews.com/036038_g...c_disease.html

Quote Originally Posted by Colleen View Post
    I think there are situations you can just "medicate" yourself with supplements and it works for you, but I also believe that something like diabetes is nothing to experiment with and spin the wheel of chance and see what happens.

Several months ago, there was a discussion on here about supplements and so I tried some of them and gave them to my husband because we went off our statins. What a HUGE mistake that was! Those supplements upset my stomach so much and kicked up my GERD that I couldn't lay down to sleep or hardly eat anything without being sick. My husband had a terrible case of diarrhea for weeks. Yes, we stopped taking them but didn't start taking statins again.

What I'm saying is...if it works for you...great, but it doesn't for everyone.
    I mix it all and avoid pharma drugs as best I can...I've had enough damage from their drugs and this is my experience and where I choose to do my healing.

Quote Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
    Here is an important consideration to the diabetic epidemic:

https://www.naturalnews.com/036038_g...c_disease.html
    I read the article as well as the article on which is was based. The amount of spin (or poor reporting) by Natural News is astounding. All emphasis is mine.

Natural News first sentence:
    "New research finds that almost one in four adolescents in the United States have diabetes or pre-diabetes, according to The New York Times."

The NY Times first sentence:
    "Nearly one in four American adolescents may be on the verge of developing Type 2 diabetes or could already be diabetic, representing a sharp increase in the disease’s prevalence among children ages 12 to 19 since a decade ago, when it was estimated that fewer than one in 10 were at risk for or had diabetes, according to a new study."

Deeper in the NY Times article it states:
    "Researchers said the data should be interpreted with caution because the prediabetes and diabetes status of the adolescents was based on a single test of each participant’s fasting blood glucose level, which could be unreliable in children if they had not fasted for at least 8 hours before taking the test. In addition, children this age are going through puberty, a process that induces insulin resistance."

Most of the Natural News cited links are broken with 404 errors or refer back to other pages on Natural News. This is one of the reasons that the information presented by many websites should be take with a huge grain of salt.
    Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be. - Abraham Lincoln

With diabetes, heredity has a lot to do with if you'll develop it or not. Like StarSong said, she has a family history of it. I was adopted so I don't have any idea if it's part of my family DNA or not. Anything that comes my way as I get older will be a total surprise.

I think "natural" supplements have a place for some things, but diabetes isn't one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Colleen View Post
    With diabetes, heredity has a lot to do with if you'll develop it or not. Like StarSong said, she has a family history of it. I was adopted so I don't have any idea if it's part of my family DNA or not. Anything that comes my way as I get older will be a total surprise.

I think "natural" supplements have a place for some things, but diabetes isn't one of them.
    That's fine, we'll just agree to disagree as I feel supplements are good adjuncts for just about everything people deal with or are working to prevent. I've been studying and taking supplements for over 25 yrs so some years I'd say.

24 yrs of taking Grape Seed Extract has been a real salvation in my life and one issue it addresses is reduction of diabetes issues.

http://naturalsociety.com/grape-seed...diabetes-drug/

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.