Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

The Tattoo Fad And Where It Comes From

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicRockr View Post
    Actually, the folks who don't like tattoos, don't give a hoot about how much you like them! They just don't like them and some will definitely express that and have on this forum...…….and not just myself.
    I have NO problem with you, or anyone else, expressing that they don't care for tattoos. What *I* object to is your rabid insistence that others think like you do. You seem to be personally offended about tattoos, as though those of us who sport them are being disrespectful or rude to you or something, and trying to change the minds of the folks who either don't care one way or another, or actually like tattoos. I read your posts, and continue to be left with the distinct impression that you are working to win over others to your side, your view, your opinion. And that if we don't think like you do, we're wrong, or warped, or off or something. It's subtle and nuanced, but definitely there.

It's disconcerting and off-putting.

The folks that dislike them have to put up with the part of society that has them, but some will voice that dislike, while the folks that like/love them have to put up with the verbal of those that dislike them.

Nobody is in anyone's face here. Just stating what they like and dislike. If you are covered head-to-toe in tattoos, that's your thing, but you have to be ready for those comments that are against them. Just like the folks that don't like them have to be ready for the comments of those that love them.

If that were all that was going on, I doubt this thread would be still going. But it's not and its disingenuous of you to pretend like that's all there is...you voicing that you don't like ink, and others voicing that they do. That's NOT what's happening. You are subtly insulting of the slice of society that like and/or get tattoos, and the implications that there's something wrong/off/bad with those folks are rampant, though covert, throughout this thread.

Don't like ink? That is absolutely your prerogative and you are of course free to voice that. But just as I don't try and convince you to like them, please don't imply that everyone should think as you do.

I don't have to be ready for the comments that are against them. I am completely ready for you or anyone else to tell me YOU don't like ink, but I am not, and never will be ready, for you to tell me all the reasons why *I* shouldn't have the ink I do, or shouldn't have or want more, or where they're placed or anything else. That, my friend, is MY business, NOT yours.
    Everything is always OK in the end. If it's not, then it's not the end!

Quote Originally Posted by Ronni View Post
    I have NO problem with you, or anyone else, expressing that they don't care for tattoos. What *I* object to is your rabid insistence that others think like you do. You seem to be personally offended about tattoos, as though those of us who sport them are being disrespectful or rude to you or something, and trying to change the minds of the folks who either don't care one way or another, or actually like tattoos. I read your posts, and continue to be left with the distinct impression that you are working to win over others to your side, your view, your opinion. And that if we don't think like you do, we're wrong, or warped, or off or something. It's subtle and nuanced, but definitely there.

It's disconcerting and off-putting.

If that were all that was going on, I doubt this thread would be still going. But it's not and its disingenuous of you to pretend like that's all there is...you voicing that you don't like ink, and others voicing that they do. That's NOT what's happening. You are subtly insulting of the slice of society that like and/or get tattoos, and the implications that there's something wrong/off/bad with those folks are rampant, though covert, throughout this thread.

Don't like ink? That is absolutely your prerogative and you are of course free to voice that. But just as I don't try and convince you to like them, please don't imply that everyone should think as you do.

I don't have to be ready for the comments that are against them. I am completely ready for you or anyone else to tell me YOU don't like ink, but I am not, and never will be ready, for you to tell me all the reasons why *I* shouldn't have the ink I do, or shouldn't have or want more, or where they're placed or anything else. That, my friend, is MY business, NOT yours.
    I won't say you are right, but I do understand. There are those young folks that will tell their parents, who completely dislike and are shocked that their kid got a tattoo, "I no longer live at home, so I can now do whatever I want to." IOW, "my business, not yours".

Listen, there will be those in society that don't like tattoos and those that love them. Both can very easily voice their opinions on the subject. A couple of tattoos is one thing, but an arm, leg, neck and even back full of them...…….now really, just how good looking is that. More "freakish" than good looking, to many.
    Love Rocky Mountain And Yellowstone National Parks

Listen, there will be those in society that don't like tattoos and those that love them. Both can very easily voice their opinions on the subject. A couple of tattoos is one thing, but an arm, leg, neck and even back full of them...…….now really, just how good looking is that. More "freakish" than good looking, to many.
    And this right here is exactly what I'm talking about. You are completely free to voice your opinion that all that ink is freakish, just as I am free to disagree with that opinion. But don't, please, lump some random "other" or "many" into the mix.

If your own personal opinion can't stand on its very own merits, if it requires you to bolster it or back it up with the vague and nebulous "others" or "many" then perhaps you need to re-think your opinion so that it's strong enough to stand on its own.
    Everything is always OK in the end. If it's not, then it's not the end!

So - the subject of this very long thread is no longer tattoos, it is now obsessions. And criticisms of other's preferences and life styles.

ClassicRocker, whether you like tattoos or not is entirely your own business. We all have our own tastes and preferences but it is generally considered a kindness to others to
    keep the negative opinions to ourselves. No one is harming anyone else by having a tattoo, it's their body, and therefore none of your business.

It would make as much sense to keep obsessively ranting about other people coloring their hair, wearing loud makeup, men growing beards, etc. The list is endless. None of these
    things are anyone else's business, and it is just plain mean (and fight-provoking) keep making snarky comments about them.

But you knew that. What is your complaint really about? I think it's more along the lines of "What's the matter with kids today?" Somebody even wrote a song with those lyrics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3PvcpWbUIg

Ahhh Sunny - thanks for digging up that Bye Bye Birdie clip of the late, ever-so great, Paul Lynde.
    Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be. - Abraham Lincoln

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.