Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

The Tattoo Fad And Where It Comes From

Quote Originally Posted by ClassicRockr View Post
    Guess you need the post that I did about Sid Steiner. The rodeo cowboy who was always getting teased about his tattoos and body piercings. Have never seen anybody showing livestock at a county or state fair, full of tattoos. I've been in Colorado, Idaho, Montana, the Dakota's, Nebraska and Kansas and have never/ever seen any young farmers, ranchers or rodeo people displaying tattoos all over their body.

Have YOU ever seen an airline stewardess, pilot, co-pilot displaying tattoos all over themselves????? Guess not, hugh.

"Who cares" you ask...……..believe it or not, many, many people do.
    Just because you do not see someone's tattoos when they are dressed in everyday clothing does not mean they are not there. I just do not see why it is so all fired important to you. I believe that what's inside a person is far more important than what's on their skin, and I am certainly not going to judge someone for having them. It certainly isn't a sign of depraved character.

And, would an officer have a tendency to pull over his patrol car and talk to a person walking along a road, who was full of tattoos, instead of doing the same to a person that didn't look the same way? Can't numerous tattoos give off a bad "vibe" to an officer?
    So you think it is OK for law enforcement to hassle someone over how they look?

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post

I think...it is OK for law enforcement to be suspicious of whom ever they feel suspicious about. And react accordingly. That is exactly what we pay them to do.

If one does not want to be seen as a criminal thug ? Then do not present ones self as a criminal thug.

Mother, make it stop!

Quote Originally Posted by treeguy64 View Post
    Mother, make it stop!
    Dang....if you look hard at that guy beating the dead horse, he looks to have....yes, yes it is...it's.... a.... tattoo!!!
    “Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.” Emerson

Just a scattered thought here, while this thread bleeds the last of its ink;

You have to appreciate how badass the Chinese are, making their language totally out of tattoo symbols.
    “Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.” Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    Absolutely! And, it's not "hassling", someone, they are just doing their job...….like rgp says.
    Love Rocky Mountain And Yellowstone National Parks

Quote Originally Posted by rgp View Post
    I think...it is OK for law enforcement to be suspicious of whom ever they feel suspicious about. And react accordingly. That is exactly what we pay them to do.

If one does not want to be seen as a criminal thug ? Then do not present ones self as a criminal thug.
    Absolutely right!

Absolutely right!
    So by extension you're clearly OK with being personally stopped by police officers who happen past you simply because they previously arrested men dressed like cowboys, right? After all, we've all seen plenty of movies portray cowboys as anything but law abiding citizens, and undoubtedly police officers have encountered their fair share of criminals sporting Stetsons and Tony Lamas.

For that matter, why not have them stop and hassle all humans? That seems to be the species with the greatest tendency toward criminal behavior...
    Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be. - Abraham Lincoln

I agree with the disdain for tattoos but this is also an example of how the older
    generation disapproves of and condemns personal expression of the younger generation
    that they cannot understand. Except that some older folks also have tattoos. Some of them
    are unreadable. I have seen poems, messages (like "erotic fun") vampires, comic
    strip characters, etc. Hey, why not ads?

Quote Originally Posted by StarSong View Post
    So by extension you're clearly OK with being personally stopped by police officers who happen past you simply because they previously arrested men dressed like cowboys, right? After all, we've all seen plenty of movies portray cowboys as anything but law abiding citizens, and undoubtedly police officers have encountered their fair share of criminals sporting Stetsons and Tony Lamas.

For that matter, why not have them stop and hassle all humans? That seems to be the species with the greatest tendency toward criminal behavior...
    This is something to discuss with "911" or even "rgp"

I know little about RGP, but from other posts made by 911, I highly doubt he would endorse the idea of police hassling people simply because they had a lot of tattoos.

Quote Originally Posted by StarSong View Post
    I know little about RGP, but from other posts made by 911, I highly doubt he would endorse the idea of police hassling people simply because they had a lot of tattoos.

They are not hassling anyone. They are however suspicious of some because they display a habit, a feature ? consistent with criminal appearance & criminal activity. Which is again exactly what we pay them to do. Would you rather them walk around/patrol, with blinders on?

Quote Originally Posted by rgp View Post
    They are not hassling anyone. They are however suspicious of some because they display a habit, a feature ? consistent with criminal appearance & criminal activity. Which is again exactly what we pay them to do. Would you rather them walk around/patrol, with blinders on?
    RGP, the quote I was responding to is below. This was no mention of criminal or suspicious behavior, it was about someone walking down a road who was being judged by nothing more than the presence (or absence) of visible tattoos. In my book, singling people out for no more substantial reason than (non gang insignia) tattoos would indeed be hassling them. Tattoos are so common these days that it would be difficult for a police officer to argue probably cause to a judge. Many police officers under 40 have a tattoos of their own.

And, would an officer have a tendency to pull over his patrol car and talk to a person walking along a road, who was full of tattoos, instead of doing the same to a person that didn't look the same way? Can't numerous tattoos give off a bad "vibe" to an officer?

Well, I totally understand what rgp is saying. Actually, "singling" people out is part of an officers job. In my book, and appears to be in rgp book as well, this "singling" out is not hassling, it's their job.

And, depending on where a person lives, like Los Angeles, officers can sport tattoos, but not necessarily all over their arms, on their neck, etc. There's a huge difference between a few tattoos and looking like a person had just been released from San Quentin Prison.

You may have numerous tattoos on yourself, which is entirely up to you, but there are those that simply don't like the look at all.

This is the first city I've ever lived in where people absolutely love getting lots and lots of tattoos.

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.