Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

What have you discovered about yourself since retiring?

Been retired 28 years and only remember where I worked for over 30 years is a monthly retirement check.
    We are either growing or dying.

Stuck inside of Mobile, with the Memphis Blues again.
    Nothing new. I always aspired to be a non working bum and now I am. Life is good.
    "Some velvet morning when I'm straight"

That I really am as lazy as I'd feared.

I flew as a pilot for almost 34 years. Every day that I went to work, I could hardly believe that I got paid as much as I did for something that I enjoyed so much. I never thought of my job as work.

Sure, there were times when I would be tired and even exhausted, but my energy level for doing my job never waned. At one time, we (pilots) could be on duty for up to a 12 hour day. In 2009, all that changed. Due to some planes going down and the cause being listed as “pilot fatigue”, the rules were changed to limit the number of hours a pilot could fly.

Nonetheless, I miss my job very much, but being away from it the last few years, I would not trust myself to go back to work. I am sure that I could not just step right back in and pick up from where I left off.
    "SEMPER FI"

**BUMP**

My bad.
    "SEMPER FI"

i've found that i really love nothing to do

I found out that I’m pretty darned good at composing and producing music after purchasing a digital piano first in 1998, the year I retired, then upgrading that. I released a CD of instrumental, multi-genre music in 2003 which is available on streaming sites. I discovered the computer, the internet and got heavy into social networking, ironic since before my husband brought the computer home, I had no interest in using one. I found out that I'm not an only child...met my half siblings the year I retired and became very close to 2 out of the 3. An older sister, whom I'm told looked like my twin had passed away a few years before.

After retirement it became of premiere importance to take vacations at ocean front locations, which I facilitated by buying an oceanfront timeshare fairly easy traveling distance from home and joining it’s affiliate exchange club, both of which offer bone cheap vacation options. Lastly, I did a 180 when I became an early morning person. When I was working, it was hard for me to get up and be at work by 8:30. Now I’m up sometimes 4:30 or 5:00.
    Last edited by OneEyedDiva; 01-10-2019 at 11:33 PM.

Since retirement, I’ve learned that procrastinating is way too easy for me. I got more done when I had less time to do it, lol.

After bluffing my way through 35 years at the same location, I now realize I'm not near as smart as I thought I was. Also I don't have to come up with answers, I can honestly say, 'I don't know'. People are learning, they've quit asking.

It's like I am waiting for the other shoe to fall.

Quote Originally Posted by Camper6 View Post
    I feel the same way! I can’t fully appreciate this gift called retirement. I keep thinking about the ‘what ifs’ of life that will make my quality of life go downhill.

Quote Originally Posted by Camper6 View Post
    Exactly.

Being a housewife and mother it is good to have hubby here 'most of the time anyway'.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.