Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Would you live in a higher crime area?

Nope, sorry, absolutely not. Not at this age, I'd feel I would be an easy target for thieves and burglars.

I would never live in a high crime area if I could help it; that is to say that if I had a choice between a higher crime area with lower rent or a nicer apartment and a lower crime are with a higher rent and maybe a not as nice apartment, I would choose the lower crime area, especially at my age. There are areas in the town I live in that I wouldn't live in if somebody paid me to do so. Even if a complex or subdivision had bulletproof security, you still have to go out into the streets to get where you need to go for shopping, services, etc., and my experience suggests that once higher crime, and especially gangs, starts to creep into an area, it gets a lot worse before it gets better(assuming that it ever DOES get better).

It doesn't do you any good to live in a wonderful apartment or house if you have to risk your safety every time you go out.

Ordinarily I agree to stay out of such areas.

The violent crime numbers are down but thefts are high
    because of a drug problem. the home rents and sales are much lower
    than other areas and the comments from residents on the internet are
    mixed, positive and negative. I am frustrated from much searching for homes
    for a long time, and visited in July with a real estate agent to no avail.

The really good areas are too expensive for me! In my local area in Illinois
    it is even higher. I want to move but the money and effort it takes (alone)
    elicits some fear.
    Thank you.

Good luck, Victor. It is a lot of work and expense to move, so I understand why you don't want to make a costly mistake. Your safety should be your first concern.

"People say that money is not the key to happiness, but I always figured if you have enough money, you can have a key made.."
    -- Joan Rivers

I currently live in a higher crime area. Wasn’t like this when we first moved here. Seattle has welcomed any and all homeless people to the area. Want to go on a walk? Homeless laying and living under the tree branches. Yard decorations? They are taken and sold. Garbage out on the street on garbage day? Plan on your garbage being picked through by the folks who are hungry or looking for ‘valuable’ items in your recycle bin. Leave your car in the driveway day or night, it’s free picking for them. Package left on your doorstep? Not for long. Don’t have a locking mailbox? Good luck with that one. No, the area I live isn’t a dumpy area, it’s what we have to tolerate nowadays. This summer, I went out to get the mail, only to find a gal laying in my front yard smoking. When I asked if she was ok, she said yes, just resting. After I gathered my wits about me, asked her to go rest elsewhere, not my yard. She moved on down the block under a big bush.

When we lived in the city, we initially moved into a new suburban subdivision, and most of the people were in their 30's, working and raising children, and it was a close knit neighborhood. As time passed, and many of the original neighbors moved on, things began to go downhill. Some of the 2nd owners were not nearly as friendly or responsible as the original people. We stuck it out until I retired, then we moved to the country. Now, it's not unusual to read or hear about increased crime in that once nice area. Watching or reading the news about most of the larger cities in the area, it is rare for a day to pass without a shooting or killing, and robberies, etc., are so common that they are not even reported on the news, unless someone is injured or killed.

Here, in the countryside, we have little crime....the local police reports usually consist of a DUI, or nuisance barking dog. There are a lot of hunters here, and virtually every household has firearms. A lot of people don't even lock their doors when they leave for the store...if anyone were dumb enough to try something in this area, there is a pretty good chance they might not make it back to the highway.
    It's been Scientifically proven that those who have more Birthdays, Live Longer.

I already do, and it doesn't bother me in the least. I'm a big-city gal and was born in the ghetto, so as long as I stay away from the worst areas at night, it's no biggie to me.

DH and I love the cultural and gastronomic diversity, and appreciate the variety of services that are available to us. Makes live easier, for sure.

Northeast PA. Live near the NASCAR track, with deer, bears, rabbits. On an always growing lawn.
    Crime does happen, and it is traumatic. But I think most people go on with their lives no matter where in the city they live. Cities are pretty much a sliding scale of wealth. Upscale today is passe and dated tomorrow. All areas are in a state of flux. So, over time, what is a seedy and run down can become the next posh address.
    BTW, I lived on the same street for 17 years. During that time, a Cop lived next door, as well as a guy, who lived a few doors down, and made bombs in his basement.

Not willingly. I'd live much more simply if I had to to feel safer.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.