Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

How Prepared Are You for Your Final Plans?

All plans are done. Don’t care where my ashes go, up to my daughter. Husband and I had a Family Trust drawn up less than a year ago. One of my daughters is in charge and I’m putting her on my accounts that I can and make sense.

Totally prepared. Got a lawyer, have Revocable Trusts, Living Wills, copies sent out to some family members. With the trusts, there is no probate and whomever is the survivor (wife or myself, or rest of family for that matter), affairs should be easily handled.

We have a trust and wills in place. There will be more than sufficient funds for us to be cremated. My husband and my ashes are to be commingled when the second one passes - our children can then do what they think is appropriate with our ashes.

(I made some jewelry for myself, my siblings and some close friends from of some of my mom's ashes. See below. We scattered the rest in places that she loved.)

Mom.jpg
    Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be. - Abraham Lincoln

Stuck inside of Mobile, with the Memphis Blues again.
    I've left instructions with my wife and kids that I wish to be cremated and my ashes dumped in the Gulf of Mexico near the place that I was born.

I have also instructed them to keep my final services simple. Something on the order of the following. Except perhaps have it early in the morning before the wind changes from offshore to onshore.

<font size="3">
    "Some velvet morning when I'm straight"

Quote Originally Posted by Trade View Post
    I've left instructions with my wife and kids that I wish to be cremated and my ashes dumped in the Gulf of Mexico near the place that I was born.

I have also instructed them to keep my final services simple. Something on the order of the following. Except perhaps have it early in the morning before the wind changes from offshore to onshore.

<font size="3">

"All we are is dust in the wind..." - Kansas

Just outside of Indianapolis in the suburbs but I wanna move to Florida!
    As a U.S. veteran I find I can't do too much pre planning. Nothing can happen through the VA until you die. I've tried to assemble a notebook with steps for my widow to follow but as the years go by and numbers and addresses and policies change I have to annually redo the whole thing. If the gov't really cared they'd assemble an A-Z survivors guide WITH THE SPECIFICS. (But they don't, won't and never will)

We took care of final expenses years ago then set about preparing for old age, moving into town, buying a single level home (no stairs). Then I renovated it to assure us of a home for the elderly with grab bars in the shower/tub and other places where needed. I removed the wimpy low-toilets and installed high toilets that flush every time with grab bars to assist in getting up.

Whenever we found a great deal on walkers, scooters, and canes, we bought them assuming we would eventually need them. We even have a good pair of crutches. Now we're in our 80's and I'm really glad we did. It's called thinking ahead.

Quote Originally Posted by Timetrvlr View Post
    We took care of final expenses years ago then set about preparing for old age, moving into town, buying a single level home (no stairs). Then I renovated it to assure us of a home for the elderly with grab bars in the shower/tub and other places where needed. I removed the wimpy low-toilets and installed high toilets that flush every time with grab bars to assist in getting up.

Whenever we found a great deal on walkers, scooters, and canes, we bought them assuming we would eventually need them. We even have a good pair of crutches. Now we're in our 80's and I'm really glad we did. It's called thinking ahead.
    Good advice!

Your post reminded me of this comment by Randy Pausch in The Last Lecture.

“Another way to be prepared is to think negatively. Yes, I'm a great optimist. but, when trying to make a decision, I often think of the worst case scenario. I call it 'the eaten by wolves factor.' If I do something, what's the most terrible thing that could happen? Would I be eaten by wolves? One thing that makes it possible to be an optimist, is if you have a contingency plan for when all hell breaks loose. There are a lot of things I don't worry about, because I have a plan in place if they do.”

Quote Originally Posted by Timetrvlr View Post
    You bought crutches, walkers, scooters and canes in advance of needing them? Interesting strategy.
    Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be. - Abraham Lincoln

We're prepared financially but I ain't ready to go yet. I plan to stick around for a long time. I'm curious about too many things to leave before I find the answers.
    I came into this world with nothing and I still have most of it.
    Larry

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.