Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Collard greens

When I was visiting in the south years ago, we went to this little local buffet style restaurant, I was loading up spinach on my plate. While eating it, I said I couldn't believe how wonderful they made spinach down there.

Of course our friends roared because it was collard greens, not spinach! I never ate collards before, so I didn't know.

Years later, a lady at my office brought collards in for one of our pot luck lunches, but when she explained how labor intensive they are to cook, I never did.

I did try a can of collards; can't remember if it was Glory brand or Sylvia's. They were okay, but can't touch fresh, imo.

When I was in high school in Georgia, I became familiar with hominy grits (which I like) and also turnip greens which I don't, but I also don't like sum choy which is similar to turnip greens and they put into won ton noodle soup. It's too chewy for me. I don't remember having collard greens, but I probably did in the school lunch as well.

A Choy is not a cabbage, it's a Lettuce, a member of the Daisy Family. All the varieties in this group are actually turnip greens - turnips bred for leaves and stems rather than root. The only Western green of this sort is Rapini (Italian broccoli).
    Sing, sing a song. Make it simple to last your whole life long - The Carpenters

Stuck inside of Mobile, with the Memphis Blues again.
    Quote Originally Posted by applecruncher View Post
    They're low calorie, too.
    Not the way I like them. Chock full of greasy meat.

"Some velvet morning when I'm straight"

I think I'm in Florida, but I'm not sure any more......my GPS blew away.
    Collards, kale, beet greens, mustard greens...….love my leafy greens. I prefer fresh but I have tried the Glory canned greens and they're good, too.
    If we're ever in a situation where I am "the voice of reason", then we are in a very, very bad situation.

I do not see collard greens up here in Quebec, but love spinach and swiss chard.
    Do not like kale, haven't had beet greens for years.

Another good brand of specialty vegetables that I find in my local Wegman's is Margaret Holmes.

https://margaretholmes.com/

Sylvia's has some good products, but I haven't seen them at the store in quite awhile.

http://www.sylviassoulfood.com/foodproducts.html

Our local Wal-Mart carries both the Margaret Holmes things and also the Glory. I routinely buy several of the Margaret Holmes brand products and the Glory collards.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.