Whole smoked turkey

Whole smoked turkey

Sometimes during this season I have found whole, fully cooked smoked turkey. First time I found one my husband loved it. They are sold frozen. Past couple of years I have not found any, but this year they had them at Wal-Mart. So I bought two. One for now, and one for down the road. Maybe Christmas or New Year's.
    I always get a regular bird for Thanksgiving. Tradition and all since it is cooked, you do not have to prepare it, but I like to heat it through the first time. Had some gravy and scalloped taters. Then a few days of sandwiches.
    Today I took the last of it and made a big batch of soup. It had a nice, but not powerful smokey flavor. I will probably freeze some of it
    The one I found was a Butterball.
    If there's a Rock and Roll heaven, you know they have a hell of a band.

I'm going to look for that Marie. I love a smoky flavor in meats. Like you my Thanksgiving bird has to be a regular one but for Christmas or any holiday entertaining the smoky one would be great.

Me too, I'm going to look for one next time we're at the store.

My son in law either smokes, or deep fries a turkey at Thanksgiving. I've always been pretty traditional about the Thanksgiving bird, but after tasting what he cooks, I'm a convert for life. Both are amazing, so much more flavor than any traditionally cooked Thanksgiving turkey I've ever eaten, either my own or anyone else's. I slightly prefer the smoked turkey over the deep fried one, but happily eat either!
    Everything is always OK in the end. If it's not, then it's not the end!

One of my vendors gave me a whole smoked turkey one year and mama and I didn't care for it at all.

I don't know what the deal was but it was way too smoky tasting for us.....somebody said that it may have been injected with liquid smoke and then smoked.

Smoked turkey is one of my favorite meats (and I like most anything smoked). I use to smoke my own for thanksgiving when the kids lived at home.
    But a whole turkey is to much for just me.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.