Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

How to Lower My Heart Rate

I like that video, Sea Breeze. Thanks for sharing it.
    Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be. - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by StarSong View Post
    I like that video, Sea Breeze. Thanks for sharing it.
    Ditto! A thank you goes a long way.

".....It did push me up above 140, more to around 150 - but from what you're saying, i may have benefited more go to 3.4 mph, even for a shorter duration....".

Yes. If you're motivated, you can do this. I see so many people at the gym do little more than show up. They bike at 3-4 miles an hour (walking speed), or spend an hour on the treadmill walking flat, and slow. They finish by looking like they didn't do anything for the last hour. For these intervals, you should hardly be able to talk and be very winded. You do that kind of training for 40 minutes, and you'll be physically spent. But, the more you do this, the quicker you recover and it makes for a shorter time on the treadmill (which bores the heck out of me).

Quote Originally Posted by retiredtraveler View Post
    makes for a shorter time on the treadmill (which bores the heck out of me).
    Yeah me too. I'm motivated. I need to pass this in order to get back on the firefighter "Fit for Duty" list. Otherwise, let me tell you - if I'm ever missing, don't waste those critical first hours looking for me at a gym. :-)
    Regards,
    Pete

Maybe we can borrow from one another. I have too slow of a heart rate. I exercise way too much and "my normal" heart rate is 45-52 bpm. The doctor wants me to give up some of the exercising, but old habits are hard to break. I generally run 2 miles per day, 4 days per week and walk the 2 miles the other three days. I also go to a cardio workout class, one night a week and a Zumba class one afternoon a week. I am 6'4", so when I do Zumba, I look like I'm all legs and arms and a lot of the other people in the group get a laugh at my expense. My wife took a video of me a few weeks ago and I now know why they laugh at me. I have three more weeks of Zumba and then I am getting out of it, but for now, since I paid for it, I am going to finish it.
    "SEMPER FI"

Stuck inside of Mobile, with the Memphis Blues again.
    Quote Originally Posted by oldman View Post
    I exercise way too much
    I have a video that might help with that.

<font size="4">
    "Some velvet morning when I'm straight"

Quote Originally Posted by oldman View Post
    Maybe we can borrow from one another. I have too slow of a heart rate. I exercise way too much and "my normal" heart rate is 45-52 bpm. The doctor wants me to give up some of the exercising, but old habits are hard to break. I generally run 2 miles per day, 4 days per week and walk the 2 miles the other three days. I also go to a cardio workout class, one night a week and a Zumba class one afternoon a week. I am 6'4", so when I do Zumba, I look like I'm all legs and arms and a lot of the other people in the group get a laugh at my expense. My wife took a video of me a few weeks ago and I now know why they laugh at me. I have three more weeks of Zumba and then I am getting out of it, but for now, since I paid for it, I am going to finish it.
    Gosh. You’re in great shape. Those Zumba classes are not easy to do at all. That’s quite impressive. My heart rate is low but not as low as yours. Mines about 57 to 60 BPM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trade View Post
    I have a video that might help with that.

<font size="4">
    I'm going to hire her as my personal trainer! :-)
    Regards,
    Pete

Quote Originally Posted by retiredtraveler View Post
    ".....It did push me up above 140, more to around 150 - but from what you're saying, i may have benefited more go to 3.4 mph, even for a shorter duration....".

You do that kind of training for 40 minutes, and you'll be physically spent.
    Ok, First time I did this is today. Before beginning, my resting HR was 85. Then got on the mill for 30 minutes, 1.25 miles, roughly 200 calories, and I brought my heart rate to between 150 - 160 three times during that duration. After about three minutes in the rest cycles however, I could only get my heart rate down to about 124. Iím guessing that with practice I should see this number decrease over time?
    Regards,
    Pete

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.