Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Dressing or stuffing?

I'm so interested to see that Aunt Bea and Jujube are doing oysters. Maybe next year I will. I just don't feel up to Thanksgiving this year.

Yes, Bell's seasoning, with it's predominately sage herb is what we always use. Now and then I'd put extra sage in. That and dried bread, lottsa onions & celery, butter, broth and often, minced giblets. No cornbread stuffing in Yankeeland! Hah, well maybe for some transplants from Dixieland.

My Lebanese friends stuffed turkey with rice cooked in broth, onions, pine nuts, cinnamon and ground lamb. Very nice!

My Italian friends often put cubed cheese, Italian sausage meat, raisins, onion in the bread cubes. Delicious.

I've heard of chestnut stuffing, what does anyone know about that?

My French Canadian aunt and ex mother-in-law made the same as ours, but also a side of baked ground meat and mashed potatoes they said was typically Canadian. What is that called?

Quote Originally Posted by RadishRose View Post
    Has anyone made or eaten oyster dressing? How do you like it?

Although I am coastal, I've never even seen it, let alone eaten it. It could be since our ancestors almost depleted all the oysters on the New England coast, it became rare. I would love to taste it!

History of Oyster Dressing:

This dressing must be served as a side dish and not as a turkey stuffing in the turkey.

Oyster dressing is a favorite of New Englanders that dates back to the 18th century in America as oysters were predominantly found along the eastern coast of North America. Oysters had been used with or without bread crumbs for stuffing poultry or fish over 335 years.

The tradition of oyster dressing was brought over from British colonists that settled in America. In Britain, oysters were added to stuffing that was more traditionally used in fowl (chicken), fish, calves head, leg of mutton, hares (rabbit) and pigs.

https://whatscookingamerica.net/Seaf...erDressing.htm
    My SIL, who has passed, made the most delicious oyster stuffing Iíve ever had. Always looked forward to that each year. It went fast....
    A girl phoned me the other day and said, "Come on over, there's nobody home." I went over. Nobody was home.

Pappy, hope you got a recipe or a general idea.

No I didn’t Rose. To many years have gone by and so many of my wife’s family have passed.
    A girl phoned me the other day and said, "Come on over, there's nobody home." I went over. Nobody was home.

1566B5B2-54CD-4F46-9632-FAAE13C886C6.jpeg
    Quote Originally Posted by RadishRose View Post
    They call it "stuffing" because it's stuffed into the bird.

Couldn't be more clear than that.

Call it "dressing" or anything else you want if it has not been stuffed into the bird. I guess you can call stuffing dressing, whether it's been stuffed or not.... does that make sense? Attachment 58924
    Thats what I thought too but I didn’t really think much about it.
    When I was younger , I used to think a dressed turkey was when those fancy paper things were added to the legs.

Been dressing in my family forever. You have to make your own cornbread, fresh trinity mix, make your own stock, fresh seasonings. Its a process and takes a couple of days that includes prep work. My daughter's say that when I had my stroke and was in ICU, they realized neither one knew how to make dressing or the peanut butter candy. When I recovered, they made it a point to be at my house the next holiday to observe and take notes and I have to say theirs is pretty good. My sister makes the best, mine is second and my oldest daughter's is the next one. It is a matter of pride to make good dressing in this family. No room for oyster or white bread dressing in this family.

Speaking of oysters.

It would take 1/2 dozen great big ol' boys to hold me down and make me eat a raw oyster but my mom every once in awhile would make what she called oyster stew which was basically cubed boiled potatoes, oysters, milk and she'd even buy a bag of those little oyster crackers every time she fixed it......haven't had it in many, many moons but I recall it being good.

She'd also make, again every once in awhile, what she called oyster casserole which is pretty much oysters, crunched up saltines and milk baked for 'X' period in a glass baking dish.....I hadn't had any in years but awhile back mama drug me kicking and screaming to the grocery store with her (I hate grocery shopping) and I spied the little jars of raw oysters sitting upright in crushed ice back in the deli dept. and I mentioned to her that I wouldn't mind having a oyster casserole if she wouldn't mind fixing it.

She picked up two of the little jars of oysters then came home and dug out my mom's old recipe and made me one for supper that evening and darn it was good......thinking about it now has my mouth craving oyster casserole, maybe if I ask mama real nice she'll make me another one this week.

Raw oyster stew!

I like my bird unstuffed except for 1/2 a lemon and 1/2 an onion. Dressing in casserole with onion and celery, no carrots or potatoes as I've sometimes seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
    Raw oyster stew!

I never thought the Stooges were especially funny- until I saw this! hearty-laugh.gif

We always called it dressing because that's what my mom called it. It's all her fault.

I have been craving canned smoked oysters lately and since my husband won't eat them I have to eat the whole can myself. I do share them with our 3 dogs and 6 or 7 outdoor cats though.

Now I'm contemplating putting a can of the smoked little tiny oysters in my turkey dressing. I wonder how that would be. Easier than googling a oyster dressing/stuffing recipe I bet.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda View Post
    We always called it dressing because that's what my mom called it. It's all her fault.

I have been craving canned smoked oysters lately and since my husband won't eat them I have to eat the whole can myself. I do share them with our 3 dogs and 6 or 7 outdoor cats though.

Now I'm contemplating putting a can of the smoked little tiny oysters in my turkey dressing. I wonder how that would be. Easier than googling a oyster dressing/stuffing recipe I bet.
    If you try it Linda, please tell us how it is. I've never had smoked oysters, only the smoked mussels.

Both - sausage dressing in the front breast cavity and stuffing in the main cavity.
    Some do the sausage dressing separately in a pan.

Quote Originally Posted by Linda View Post

I love smoked oysters (with a nice cold beer) and can easily eat a can of them. (Those flat cans are small!!) I'm not sure how they would work in oyster stuffing, though... kind of a strong taste to them.

"People say that money is not the key to happiness, but I always figured if you have enough money, you can have a key made.."
    -- Joan Rivers

Called it stuffing when we were kids. Call it both now. Mom made the best stuffing. I also love my late mother-
    in-law's Scottish oatmeal dressing. It's a simple recipe, but I haven't been able to get the ratio right .. it's just
    oatmeal, butter and onion. Mine always turns out too wet. She stuffed the turkey with it, and made extra.
    Be kind whenever possible. It is always possible.
    - Tenzin Gyatso, 14th Dalai Lama

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.