Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Christmas presents

If you like? I never like feeling obligated to give gifts even if I'm given one, I just say thank You. My kids are like that when someone that they didn't expect to give them one does, the feel obligated to give them one. Maybe make a meal for them?

THAT settles it ! I'm not giving them ONE MORE THING ! You do what you want. THEY don't deserve anything.

Sorry, but that's the way I am.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Falcon View Post
    THAT settles it ! I'm not giving them ONE MORE THING ! You do what you want. THEY don't deserve anything.

Sorry, but that's the way I am.
    Exactly!!

Wife & I long ago knew that we had pretty much everything we wanted so gifts on Dec. 25th. were not needed. Better to buy what ever was wanted at the time it was wanted. Watching other families be distressed ove which child or son or daughter feel slighted if a gift wasn't to an equivalent dollar amount taught us to find a way to get around that.

State to our sons there would be no gift exchange PERIOD.

As for grand kids For their birthday and Christmas an equal amount of money was sent to a guardianship stock account set up for them. No dispute taht way about one getting more than another..

only one left to continue. They all sold there shares when they reached 18. Two pissed away the money one paid for his room & board & partial fee for trade school. The other bought himself a work truck. All happy

Quote Originally Posted by terry123 View Post
    I send home made peanut butter candy to several people each year. Its a tradition that goes back 25 years. I send them gift cards and their candy. They expect their candy as I only make it at Christmas now. My best friend sends me her homemade pumpkin bread and cranberry bread and she wants her peanut butter candy each year. We have done this for the last 25 years and its our thing. We also give each other a subscription to Daily Word, a daily reading we do even though we are in different states. She says its a comfort to know that we are reading the same thing at the same time each day. Me with my coffee and she with her tea.
    ...and that's thee answer to many a gift dilemma....goodies

no worries all around

Just send the box...and let 'em fight over how much who gets

problem solved
    “Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.” Emerson

I send handmade gingerbread cookies each year and it’s a tradition that I’ve been doing since 1981 and everyone asks about. It’s nice to be known as a giver and remembered.

That's sweet of you, gingerbread cookies are yummy, i make homemade chocolate clusters for gifts and I have a pre-christmas gathering with my sister's grandchildren and my grandson, we bake cupcakes, play games so they can bond, my kids didn't have relationships with their cousins because my 5 brothers wives kept their kids away from our family. The kids love this. I miss the simple time's of Christmas, what happened?

Maybe it's just me, but I give things to people because I think it will make them happy. That's my aim. Thank you notes are not necessary for me to feel appreciated. I don't stand on that kind of ceremony. When I get a gift I thank the giver in person and possibly follow up with an email or phone call. Or not. It doesn't seem to matter to the people I know and love.

I give boxes of homemade Christmas cookies to many friends during the holidays and mail at least another 20 boxes across the US. Some people thank me in person, others call, some FB message me, some email, some make no reply whatsoever. I always double check tracking to make sure they arrived and leave it alone after that. Sure enough, within a month or so of the holidays - whenever it is that we next get in touch - I hear how much they enjoyed the cookies. Of course, that was my intent in the first place so it's all good.

Life is short. If when I'm gone, some recipients will reflect happily on their Christmas cookies, well that's all the thanks I will ever need.
    Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be. - Abraham Lincoln

That's nice that you do those things, I guess I'm sensitive, I honestly feel that I'm being taken for granted, I'm BIG on manner's, people seem to no longer show any kind of appreciation for each other? I gave my boyfriends mom a Christmas ornament once, she got very upset about it and let me know it, that she then felt obligated to give a gift. That was my first Christmas with his family, didn't think it was a Big deal? That was 17 years ago never gave her another gift again.

Quote Originally Posted by StarSong View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but I give things to people because I think it will make them happy. That's my aim. Thank you notes are not necessary for me to feel appreciated. I don't stand on that kind of ceremony. When I get a gift I thank the giver in person and possibly follow up with an email or phone call. Or not. It doesn't seem to matter to the people I know and love.

I give boxes of homemade Christmas cookies to many friends during the holidays and mail at least another 20 boxes across the US. Some people thank me in person, others call, some FB message me, some email, some make no reply whatsoever. I always double check tracking to make sure they arrived and leave it alone after that. Sure enough, within a month or so of the holidays - whenever it is that we next get in touch - I hear how much they enjoyed the cookies. Of course, that was my intent in the first place so it's all good.

Life is short. If when I'm gone, some recipients will reflect happily on their Christmas cookies, well that's all the thanks I will ever need.
    yes

“Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.” Emerson

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.