Have you relocated alone over 65?

Have you relocated alone over 65?

I wonder if any of you actually moved to another city or country
    hundreds or thousands of miles away alone and did not know anyone where you moved
    No one, no family, friends or acquaintances. Were you in your sixties or older?
    Did you move of your own free will or were you compelled to move?
    Did you leave any one behind or were you basically alone?

Doing this is very scary, especially if you have lived in one place a long time.

Last summer I moved to Arizona for the Big Island of Hawaii. I was 70 at the time of the move, and my wife had passed away about 1 1/2 years before. Basically knew no one in AZ. Love the climate and my house and community but I think I will move back home to Ohio next year. Just feeling the need.

Nope!

For me, it would depend on why I was moving.

If I felt as though I was moving towards something and not away from something I would be fine.

The only reason I stay where I am now is that it has a comfortable familiarity.

Quote Originally Posted by Victor View Post
    I wonder if any of you actually moved to another city or country
    hundreds or thousands of miles away alone and did not know anyone where you moved
    No one, no family, friends or acquaintances. Were you in your sixties or older?
    Did you move of your own free will or were you compelled to move?
    Did you leave any one behind or were you basically alone?

Doing this is very scary, especially if you have lived in one place a long time.
    I moved a few years back from the south to my home state of PA. I was able to semi-retire. I was 59 at the time, was (and still am) single, bought a house in a nice community where I knew no one, and my nearest relatives live 175 miles away. My family is scattered along the east coast so I had to pick a place that was right for me and just commit myself to a lot of driving to see them and they would have to do the same to come to see me. I had no family, friends or acquaintances when I moved to this little town and I live alone but in the 3 years or so that I have been here, I've made friends, gotten involved in some charity work, spent a lot of time fixing up my little house and feel comfortable here. It might seem daunting but if you pick the right place, it can be an enjoyable experience.

That's great, Leann, I admire your courage to move back and all you've accomplished. You're an inspirational example of what can happen if you set your mind to do something and just do it!

Quote Originally Posted by CindyLouWho View Post
    That's great, Leann, I admire your courage to move back and all you've accomplished. You're an inspirational example of what can happen if you set your mind to do something and just do it!
    Thank you, Cindy.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.