Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Is Thanksgiving dinner worth the family grief?

Thanksgiving Dinner Plans

Your dinner plans reminded me of last night's episode of This Is Us. Daughter Kate's husband offered to cook their Thanksgiving dinner, but she came home to a messy kitchen, a badly burnt turkey & a table full of bags from fast food restaurants. Her husband apologized for ruining the meal, but she happily explained, this alternative dinner was brilliant, an idea her dad would have come up with. Enjoy your holiday.

Stuck inside of Mobile, with the Memphis Blues again.
    "Some velvet morning when I'm straight"

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
    I grew up in a dysfunctional family but so did Jesus and most of my friends.

Eventually, you have to realize that you are an adult and get over it.

Celebrate Thanksgiving in a way that has meaning for you and the people closest to you.

"Celebrate Thanksgiving in a way that has meaning for you and the people closest to you."

Is what I have always done, and was thankful for & enjoyed every one. But life changes, friends pass away & move away. The large gathering with family has dwindled, so today I will be alone but! still thankful....just like last Thursday, and just like next Thursday. It is not some tragedy just because [this] Thursday has had some special moniker attached to it.

Soooooooooooo Happy Turkey Day to all !

Quote Originally Posted by rgp View Post
    "Celebrate Thanksgiving in a way that has meaning for you and the people closest to you."

Is what I have always done, and was thankful for & enjoyed every one. But life changes, friends pass away & move away. The large gathering with family has dwindled, so today I will be alone but! still thankful....just like last Thursday, and just like next Thursday. It is not some tragedy just because [this] Thursday has had some special moniker attached to it.

Soooooooooooo Happy Turkey Day to all !
    Me too!

I'm thankful for all of the wonderful Thanksgivings that I've had and all of the Thanksgivings yet to come!

Happy Thanksgiving, rgp!

That's assuming that there is any grief. I don't recall ever hearing a harsh word at family gatherings and that's going back to my childhood. If there were any differences between family members, they were never mentioned at gatherings due to (I would guess) respect for my grandparents (back then) , then my dad and mom and in present years for my wife and I. For the same reasons, there is never any alcohol involved with our gatherings and no one smokes. These are not crimes -- just the way we prefer to live.

Every family is different but ours has always seemed to function well and "get togethers" are always looked forward to even if a holiday is not involved.

Quote Originally Posted by C'est Moi View Post
    I really hate the holiday season so I guess I'm not the one to ask. (Family is fine; I'm just not into gatherings.)
    You're not by yourself. I don't enjoy them now. I used to but for some reason, it has changed and I don't know why. I just don't enjoy gatherings now.

Northeast PA. Live near the NASCAR track, with deer, bears, rabbits. On an always growing lawn.
    I come from a dysfuctional family. If you've been truly hurt by some family members, you are not going to sit down and make merry. I have to have Thanksgiving with cherished friends, rather than family.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.