Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I Don't Want Your Stuff

Does the "stuff" they don't want include cash and other investments? Asking for a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by hollydolly View Post
    sadly RR...I know her only too well, she will burn them unread... *sigh*
    In yer will, request they be posted here
    We’ll know what to do with them
    At least I will
    And if I’m already gone, put a little thing in there, thanking me (while yer in the taproom)

My kids’ll want my guns, and gun cabinet

I have three bibles, ancient ones, between some bookends my grandad carved.
    One of the bibles contains a hand written record of family lineage, along with who gifted him that bible,
    It was obviously written with a fountain pen. Script writing, impeccable script writing.
    I’m takin’ that with me. I’ll need it, where I’m goin’

I hope someone burns whatever I’ve written.
    You guys haven’t seen some of that stuff…makes Portnoy’s Complaint look like a nursery rhyme.
    I may burn it myself, before my exit, or take it with me….it’ll disintegrate

My lady will sell my Jeep and tools

Everthing else is junk
    I wouldn’t want any of it willed to me
    “Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.” Emerson

Old pictures, family journals and diaries and old family items are the stuff of dreams for someone who is researching family history. If none of your immediate family is interested in genealogy, look around among your cousins with whom you share grandparents.

When my mother died a few years ago I cleared her 3500 sf house. She had accumulated many beautiful things, most of which where happily welcomed into the homes of her children and grands, the rest were donated. My own home is also filled with beautiful items, many of which were gifts from my mother or came from her home.

What will happen to our stuff when it's time to downsize from this home or exit this life altogether? I hope my children will follow my template - keep some things in their own homes and donate the rest. Whatever they decide is ok with me.
    Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be. - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by Hoot N Annie View Post
    Does the "stuff" they don't want include cash and other investments? Asking for a friend.

Stuck inside of Mobile, with the Memphis Blues again.
    I doubt my kids want any of my stuff. I pride myself on having the best residential burglary prevention system there is.

Nothing worth stealing.
    "Some velvet morning when I'm straight"

I downsized several years ago giving many items to my daughter/granddaughters. I actually enjoy seeing them use the desk my grandfather made, use the china on holidays that was my mothers. The rest will be up to my daughter when I depart this world. Hopefully anything that is still of use will be donated and not discarded. I guess I don't get too involved with stuff since I live in tornado alley and have seen "stuff" all disappear in a matter of minutes. I see it in areas of hurricanes and flooding and now all the fires in California. It's kind of nice that photos can be stored online, especially family photos. Replacing old memories with new memories really isn't that difficult.

Yes, I didn't want many of my mother's things. I had four items and have already gotten rid of two of them. One was a silk painting my grandmother brought from Japan as part of her dowry; I sent it to one of my few cousins who (1) has kids who might want it someday, and (2) is himself an artist and art teacher, so he appreciates it on its own worth.

The other two items might be of interest to my niece and/or nephew; if they don't want them, or none of our younger friends are interested, then off to Goodwill they go.

The one really valuable item was a Mikimoto pearl necklace my MIL tried to give to me. It had a ruby/emerald/diamond clasp and the pearls were flawless matched 10mm white. She never dressed up so she never wore it. At this point in my life dressing up consists of not wearing my Polarfleece vest, LOL, so I would never wear it either!

I sat down with her and discussed who would best appreciate it. Her goddaughter loved jewelry, but has no children, never dresses up, and MIL didn't much like the spouse. But there was a niece in Canada who was pretty close to MIL, has a daughter and would probably treasure the necklace. I convinced her the niece was really the best choice to keep it in the family, so she sent it off and the niece was absolutely thrilled, had never expected anything so it was "coming out of the blue". Now that MIL has died I'm really glad she gave the necklace to someone who appreciated it.

It's always worth asking around. I was happy to find that a friend of ours adored my own bone china dinnerware, which I no longer used, and was so happy to take it off our hands!

My only children are identical twin sons (Now adults.) When I "go", THEY get this house and everything in it that they want.

They can even have friends come and take a look and take anything they want. I'll be beyond caring.
    John

It's great that your things were wanted and appreciated, Lethe.

I've been using my own "good' dishes for everyday around 9 years now. I like them and tho' I've lost few, I no longer want to hide away things I like, to only use a few times a year anymore. Plus my guest list has shrunk, so the few broken pieces aren't missed. I will never have 12 for dinner again.

When my mom passed I was given her "good" China. I did not really want it. Not my style and I had no place to keep it. So, I told my brother he could have it. I had other family members have fits because I told my brother to keep it. Took them a long time to move on.
    If there's a Rock and Roll heaven, you know they have a hell of a band.

My Dad wanted me to take all of his woodworking equipment that he had accumulated in the basement workshop at his retirement highrise. I had to tell him that I had no room for it, the absolute truth. We all accumulate things that we value, for whatever reasons. After I'm gone, I suppose most of my stuff will be shoveled into one of those giant, roll-off dumpsters, and driven to the waste disposal acreage outside of town. No big deal, whatsoever. I have no desire to force my particular tastes on anyone.

I've done a reasonably good job of editing the stuff in my life. I've donated quite a bit of it to charity and given much of it to family and friends. That was the easy part because it was MY stuff. But I also have things that were my parents and my brother's (all are deceased) and I've barely made a dent in sorting through any of that. Most of it is stored in bins in the basement which means that I'm not using it nor seeing it but when I have made the time to begin sorting through it, memories flood in and I have to stop. It's silly really because we aren't talking about heirloom pieces that would create a bidding war if they were auctioned. No, these are things most people would walk by if they were on tables to be sold at a garage sale.

So, I have made 3 goals for myself for the next 12 months (not resolutions, I don't make those) and one is to sort through several boxes each month and either offer the items to my family (they won't be interested but I'll make the gesture), donate, sell, recycle or discard the contents. If I stay with this plan, by this time next year I'll have gone through most of the boxes.

Good for you Leann. No hurry.

I sorted this problem...one that plagues so many 'seniors'.
    I was sneaky...I made certain that the solicitor who drafted my will ENSURED my siblings and their offspring knew about the ''No family member of any variation, gender,generation or association, is to be offered or allowed to obtain ANY item I own at the point of my demise'' clause.

.....the one certainty that clause ensures, is that the buggers'll be FIGHTING each other to grab odds-n-sods once I peg it. [SNEAKY me...hehehe]

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.