Do you take medicines for other than their intended use?

Do you take medicines for other than their intended use?

I have a friend who has been using generic NyQuil routinely as a sleep aid. She goes to sleep every night, wakes up an hour or two later, gets up and takes a tablespoon of the meds, then goes back to bed and sleeps peacefully through the night. She says without it she wakes up and has trouble getting back to sleep.

I came down with a virus recently that gave me a bag cough, and though I usually don't take any OTC meds for anything, I finally resorted to NyQuil so that I didn't wake myself up coughing all night. Man that stuff knocked me out!!! I slept solidly the whole night, so I can see why my friend would use it as a sleep aid. Long terms though it can't be good for internal organs.

I have another friends who takes Benadryl for similar reasons, and one who swears that the Fish Oil he takes keeps his allergies under control another who uses a nasal decongestant spray for his athlete's foot and I'm not kidding!!!!...the others I can sort of see, at a stretch, how it could work, but the spray??? It has to be a placebo effect or something, I can see NO connection!

So, how about you? Do you take, or know anyone who takes a medicine for something other than their intended use?
    Everything is always OK in the end. If it's not, then it's not the end!

Nope!

IMO cough syrup abuse or the abuse of any medication is a very bad idea.

Young folks are mixing cough syrup into various drinks like purple drank and sizzurp for some sort of high and it has killed some people including the rapper Fredo Santana.

Please read the label and follow the usage/dosing instructions.

Nope!!! I have enough problems taking the meds that are prescribed for my real problems without adding to the mix!!

Quote Originally Posted by hollydolly View Post
    Nope!!! I have enough problems taking the meds that are prescribed for my real problems without adding to the mix!!
    I agree Holly!
    Love Rocky Mountain And Yellowstone National Parks

i was told that honey is good for allergies which i have real bad---i started putting some in my coffee every morning and it does help

No.

"It isnít pollution thatís harming the environment. Itís the impurities in our air and water that are doing it.
    " -- Dan Quayle

No,doesn't sound like a good idea to me Sue
    Walkers Take It All In Strides

Because I lived in the wilderness for 14 years I always kept some OTC stuff for when I was sick or needed them. One in particular was FishMox to replace the RX Amoxicillin for when I had an infected throat or other infections.

I would be concerned that taking so much NyQuill would cause a dependence on it, or render it ineffective if she actually had a cold. They make a product called ZzzzQuil for the sleeplessness. Plus there are other OTC products that are better and safer for sleeplessness. I take Melatonin it does help.

Also, especially for folks our age who often are on other meds, we have to be careful. Many cold/allergy remedies are not good if we are any heart meds.

On a similar matter, I bought us some vitamins in gummy form and have to dole them out to my husband daily, as he would take more than directed because he likes the taste of the gummies.
    If there's a Rock and Roll heaven, you know they have a hell of a band.

Quote Originally Posted by Marie5656 View Post

On a similar matter, I bought us some vitamins in gummy form and have to dole them out to my husband daily, as he would take more than directed because he likes the taste of the gummies.
    I'm with him there!! I have some women's gummies that I have to dole out to myself or I'd eat them like candy. And I'm ashamed to admit that I steal one of my grandkids gummies every now and again!! BAD grandma!!
    Everything is always OK in the end. If it's not, then it's not the end!

I know someone who used Vick Vapo Rub to clear up toe nail fungus, she scraped the Vick under her toenail then gently eased a small piece of cotton wool down as well, changing it daily, it takes a couple of weeks but really does work

Quote Originally Posted by twinkles View Post
    i was told that honey is good for allergies which i have real bad---i started putting some in my coffee every morning and it does help

What does honey have to do with medicine?

I am currently taking Mucinex , an expectorant, for the guaifenesin in it.....the guaifenesin is said to be good for pain..?

Every time I see NyQuil I think of a friend who was taking it for sleep and she didn't wake up one morning...what a shock this was....

Benedryl and benzos contribute to memory issues....so I don't touch them. I had taken some Lorazepam some yrs ago and when a friend informed me of the memory issues, I was off them a flash.

I use Vicks every night and every morning and wear socks all the time, Vicks is an analgesic and yes does help with fungus in toenails.

I use all supplements except for 2 meds, thyroid and blood pressure and I worked out a sleep remedy that does it for me. Those drugs are scary.

No meds for us yet, just aspirin and try to make my food be my medicine and my medicine be my food if possible.
    I also like Vicks but didn't know you could use it that often, have to give it a try.
    I have taken BP meds when needed.
    But I will take them if I have to.
    I eat little meat and could do without it if hubby didn't like it so much. But he only eats meat a couple times a week. Mostly fish like sardines, no farm raised we hope anyway.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.