The Definitive Guide to Tipping at Any Restaurant in America

Cool The Definitive Guide to Tipping at Any Restaurant in America

My parents always tipped our servers and I remember how important they were when my mom worked at the Brown Derby Restaurant.

So, it caught me off guard when I went to France and discovered they included the tip in the tab. Leaving a tip was actuallt considered snobbish and even insulting.
    So, just to give us a guidline, here are some supposed rules for tipping:
    Sit-down restaurants: 20 percent — always.
    If you go big on wines: You don’t need to tip 20 percent on whale bottles.
    Gratuity-included restaurants: Don’t tip — really!
    Food trucks: Add a buck or two.
    Bars: Dollar per drink at dives, 20 percent at cocktail bars.
    Bakeries and coffee shops: Add a buck or two.
    Fast-casual counter service: 20 percent
    Delivery: $5 minimum
    I don’t know who this author is but I think she’s full of it. Top at a MacDonald’s? You gotta be kidding me.
    And, first and foremost, a gratuity is to show ones appreciation for good service. I never hesitate a second to stiff a server who should be shoveling manure instead of bringing food to my table.

I tip according to the service I receive, period.

When I was visiting the US, I was advised that around 10% was normal.

One night in a restaurant in Amsterdam, I heard an America lady ask the waiter how much it was normal to tip. He replied, "This is not America , however if you wish to express your thanks, we will be pleased to receive a small gratuity". We always used to round up our bills in the restaurants that we frequented.
    We're not here for a long time. We're here for a good time

I tip 20% most of the time. As the service goes down, so does the tip. My barber $3-5. Pizza guy, $3.
    He who has not Christmas in his heart, will never find it under a tree.
    Roy L. Smith

I think I'm in Florida, but I'm not sure any more......my GPS blew away.
    Down in the most "touristy" area in Orlando (International Drive), some of the restaurants started adding an automatic 18% gratuity to the bill because European tourists weren't leaving tips. This was a win-win situation for the restaurants as a lot of tourists didn't realize the tip was already on the bill and tipped again. I sincerely doubt anybody at the restaurant pointed that out to them.

I'm a standard tipper for standard service and a good tipper on good service.

But I don't understand why tipping is based on the amount of the bill. For instance, if I'm dining with a friend and I order a $4 bowl of chicken noodle soup and my friend orders a $15 bowl of lobster bisque and the waiter brings both at the same time, with the same service. Technically, based on a 20% tip, I only owe him an 80 cent tip while my friend owes a $3 tip. Why? It took exactly the same effort to bring each of us our bowls of soup, glasses of water and the bill. I'm not a cheapskate, I'd give him at least $2 but still...…….
    If we're ever in a situation where I am "the voice of reason", then we are in a very, very bad situation.

I tip more to a server who checks with me a couple of times while I'm eating.
    John

No need to tip in the UK, because our waiting staff get a proper wage of at least minimum if not more. Tipping is optional, and most people do it, maybe leave a £1 if it's a cafe or maybe 5 or 10% of the bill in a restaurant...often more, but there's absolutely no need to tip, and it's not expected. Here in the Uk waiting staff don't turn tables, you can sit all day with a coffee in a cafe or all evening at a restaurant without being hassled to finish up and leave because the waiting staff need to earn as much as possible from tipping! It's the same throughout Europe...

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.