Speaking of presents...

Speaking of presents...

What’s the worst present you’ve ever been given ?

I’ve had a few over the years but one of the worst was a soft woolen scarf, a tartan pattern in shades of pink, lilac, green and blue, (I never wear tartan or pink) and was so pleased I didn’t open it in front of the guy that gave it to me because I would use that scarf only if I was freezing to death in Antarctica !

I felt bad about it but, fortunately our friendship ended and I gave the scarf to an elderly neighbour

It's a toss-up between a flat iron and one pink bath towel with matching washcloth.

I'm sure that the flat iron was a premium from a local bank for opening a new account that was regifted to me.

I have a slight phobia about opening gifts in a group setting because I'm always terrified as to what lies beneath all of that pretty paper and ribbon.

More than once I've wondered what people were thinking when they selected a gift for me, it makes me sad that they really don't know me.

I'm at the point in life where I haven't received a gift in several years and for me, that is a relief.

One year, the guy I was crazy in love with, gave me lovely coat hangers like these decorated by his dear mom.
    6994F7DB-B27C-45AD-82ED-598FB2DAA806.jpeg

Like Wren, the relationship didn’t last long.

I think I'm in Florida, but I'm not sure any more......my GPS blew away.
    It would have to be a tie between two wedding presents we got.

One was an obviously used tablecloth (with a lot of stains) that we received from a relative of my late husband, which I learned later was meant to be a deliberate insult since I was "used goods" (I had been engaged before.....apparently that branded me as a harlot or something....)

The other one was a book on how to convert your spouse to your religion.

A touch of intolerance on both sides there.
    If we're ever in a situation where I am "the voice of reason", then we are in a very, very bad situation.

I was 21 mid 1970's brand newly married to my ex m-i-l's precious son.... she hated the idea that I'd ''taken him from her'' so on our first Christmas she spent mega money on him, and gave me a grey neck to floor..with full balloon sleeves to wrists flannelette nightie in grey with pink flowers.. it would have made a 90 year old look old!!!

The following year she gave me a floral melamine chopping board which was clearly part of a set she'd received as a gift from someone, and taken the board out and gave it to me as a gift!!

I haven't had any worst presents. I appreciate whatever someone thinks of me. But I have also not been in weird relationships where someone would have liked to send me, for instance, a dead mouse. Wait! I do! My sweet cat who loves me, has in the last two weeks, left me two dead mice on my doorstep. He loves me more than anyone. As I do him.
    Sing, sing a song. Make it simple to last your whole life long - The Carpenters

I wish I had a picture. It was a huge wall clock, made of plastic but painted to look like a baroque gold contraption, sort of an el cheapo knockoff of something that would hang in Versailles.

It was a gag gift that we got in a neighborhood gift exchange that we did every Xmas. The following year, we brought the clock back and somebody else won it. It got the biggest laugh of any gift.

The next day, we found the clock hanging in a tree on our lawn!

Sunnys story reminded me of another one, many years ago my then boyfriends mother, bought me a huge red plastic purse, it had loads of pockets and compartments, my daughter, knowing I wouldn’t like it said, “that’s nice mum you can use it for hand luggage when you go on holiday”....so, the following Christmas guess what she found among her presents, cleverly camouflaged in a big fancy box ? That purse has been back and forth between us for nearly twenty years, each of us adding a few coins to the contents

Once I got a beautifully wrapped roll of Lifesavers. Assorted flavors.

I'm a great gift-giver, always giving something I know the person wants/needs/will like.

I don't like it when people run into CVS or whatever and grab whatever is on display. I'd rather they get me a dishtowel and potholder from the dollar store.

Regifting can be touchy. I can often tell if it's just something they don't want and put no thought into it.
    Last edited by applecruncher; 12-06-2018 at 06:36 PM.

My late ex MIL was a wonderful woman; I really loved her, but she was a gift hoarder. She thanked the givers profusely then stowed the gifts in a big chest of drawers, full of never - used items which I accidently discovered one day. Unfortunately she didn't keep the name of the original giver with the item . Twice she gave my stuff back to me about 2 years after I gave it to her. Once a tablecloth, next a pair of gloves. Then there was the cute little feral cat that I was feeding on my patio who started leaving me dead things with feathers on my door mat, as "thank yins" I suppose. Stopped feeding him, looked like he was doing ok on his own. (No, I'm not endorsing cats killing birds. Just stating a fact"

When I was a kid I loved bubble gum. Huge pieces and I chewed all day. When I was finished chewing for whatever reason, meals,school,bedtime,etc. I would stick it on the kitchen counter top. My Mom was always after me about that but I continued to do it. One Christmas I was opening my gifts and one beautiful box, all decked out with ribbons and bows, stood out. It was so heavy. I couldn't wait.
    When I lifted the lid there was a years supply of chewed bubble gum. Mom had saved every piece. I still chewed after that but was sure to throw it away when I was finished.

I think I'm in Florida, but I'm not sure any more......my GPS blew away.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruth n Jersey View Post
    When I was a kid I loved bubble gum. Huge pieces and I chewed all day. When I was finished chewing for whatever reason, meals,school,bedtime,etc. I would stick it on the kitchen counter top. My Mom was always after me about that but I continued to do it. One Christmas I was opening my gifts and one beautiful box, all decked out with ribbons and bows, stood out. It was so heavy. I couldn't wait.
    When I lifted the lid there was a years supply of chewed bubble gum. Mom had saved every piece. I still chewed after that but was sure to throw it away when I was finished.
    Ruth, that's hilarious!
    If we're ever in a situation where I am "the voice of reason", then we are in a very, very bad situation.

omg wren-I did have one once -more annoyed than anything have to say ' and from my d.i.l of all people that buys nice stuff -when I opened it I thought it was a coloured jumper 'she said try it on ' and do u like it ???
    omg it was a pancho coat style over the head jobby ' u know what the mexicans wore on horse back in the films 'it still on the hanger from3 years ago where it stays ..ewwwww awful is being polite #

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.