Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Delivery people who, literally, can't read numbers.

Mail doesn’t get delivered out where we live
    So we have a PO Box
    I’ve always liked PO Boxes
    Secure
    Quicker delivery

Right?

Not in our Podunk post office
    My pension comes via mail (can’t get that changed, tried)
    One month it was late
    The company I retired from told me when it was mailed,
    and asked if I wanted the check stopped and another mailed (my dime)
    I went to the post office one more time
    It had been delivered to another box, and whoever had that box, gave it back to the postmaster
    I asked how that could happen
    ‘oh well, my bad’
    ‘Oh well, my bad???!!! (sputter spit #@%!), lady, that’s my pension!!
    ‘stuff happens’ (shrug)
    I wanted to come across that counter
    Instead, I wrote the postmaster

Guess I was one of many complaints
    Don’t recall seeing that lady there anymore
    “Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.” Emerson

I'm getting confused about what deliveries are we talking about? The USPS? UPS? FEDEX, DHL or deliveries from private companies that you order from? It's very rare that I get someone's letter in my mailbox. That is caused by the people who sort the mail that your mail person picks up. The rest, I don't know how they do it. I really like my mailman and he will ring the doorbell what I get packages. It may depend on where you live and how busy the mail and delivery people are.
    Sing, sing a song. Make it simple to last your whole life long - The Carpenters

I always use informed delivery on the usps website to see what I m getting each day. Our mailman has been with the post office and gets upset with the substitutes on his route. He says they are younger and do not care if they do a good job or not. He sometimes makes 3 trips a day as some of the newer ones do not finish their route, so he takes up the slack. He is close to retirement and I dread the day that happens. Most of my ups packages are being delivered by usps and they do not like it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia View Post
    I'm getting confused about what deliveries are we talking about? The USPS? UPS? FEDEX, DHL or deliveries from private companies that you order from?
    [QUOTE=treeguy64;939701]
    the imbeciles who deliver packages, these days[/QUOTE]

The USPS, UPS, FEDEX, DHL or deliveries from private companies
    I'd imagine pretty much covers it
    “Live in the sunshine, swim the sea, drink the wild air.” Emerson

Yep. Gary O' put it as right as I could: They ALL are terrible, they ALL deliver packages in a slipshod manner. The younger personnel simply don't take the time to match delivery label addresses with actual addresses of the homes on their routes. I'm glad the poster, above, has skilled delivery personnel who rarely make mistakes, leading her to think, incorrectly, that I'm exaggerating, but the facts are what they are. I'm in a fairly large town, and the younger, working class folks I deal with, seem to be, in general, not the brightest bulbs in the chandelier. The irony is that my town attracts young techies who are the cream of the crop. Too bad the semi-skilled laborers have made me lose faith in the public education system in the US, at least where the teeming masses are concerned.

I can see how that would be frustrating, treeguy. Over the past several ... well, decades really ... improperly delivered mail has been a rarity for us EXCEPT:

A couple years ago we got one new mailman who didn't make the grade. Deliveries were consistently messed up or just didn't happen at all. I don't believe for a minute it had anything to do with the presorting at the post office. Anyway, his customers started complaining to USPS management right up to the regional level. Within several months he had been replaced and good service was restored. We really appreciate our current mailman and make sure he knows it.

Funny story. One time during that period our heating oil bill was late. As we get a substantial discount for paying promptly, we always watch for it and turn it around quickly. We called the oil company and were told "It's already been paid". What?? Turns out, the bill had been mis-delivered to a neighbor up the road and she had paid it without realizing it wasn't hers. She was rather embarrassed when we told her.

Tommy, I also strongly doubt that pre-sorting at the post office has anything to do with the carrier not being able to differentiate between correct and incorrect delivery points.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post

Funny story. One time during that period our heating oil bill was late. As we get a substantial discount for paying promptly, we always watch for it and turn it around quickly. We called the oil company and were told "It's already been paid". What?? Turns out, the bill had been mis-delivered to a neighbor up the road and she had paid it without realizing it wasn't hers. She was rather embarrassed when we told her.
    That was funny!

Quote Originally Posted by treeguy64 View Post
    Tommy, I also strongly doubt that pre-sorting at the post office has anything to do with the carrier not being able to differentiate between correct and incorrect delivery points.
    I agree. I remember years ago when I made a written complaint - twice - about misdelivered mail I got a lengthy reply about millions of pieces of mail and a lot of mumbo jumbo about the sorting procedures. Pfftt.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.