Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Eat Your Broccoli - Slows Down Aging

Atta boy, Trade. Myself, I don't touch soda.

Stuck inside of Mobile, with the Memphis Blues again.
    It turns out there is a scientific reason why many of us don't like broccali.

https://www.sbs.com.au/topics/scienc...just-your-head

Turns out that we don't all taste broccoli the same way.

By Jacinta Bowler

23 Jun 2016 - 12:54 PM UPDATED 24 Jun 2016 - 9:35 AM

The poster child for vegetable hatred, many a broccoli floret has been left on the plates of disgusted diners. Meanwhile others donít understand how a mild-flavoured vegetable can create such strong feelings. Are the haters just picky eaters and havenít gotten over their aversion to vegetables?
    According to genetics, maybe not.

Thereís a compound in broccoli that not everyone can taste Ė but it can make it bitter and basically unpalatable.
    Different populations vary widely on how many people can taste the bitterness of broccoli - more specifically, glucosinolate compounds, which chemically resemble phenylthiocarbamide (PTC). In England the non-taster percentage (or those that canít taste PTC at all) is 31.5%, but for Native Americans itís a crazy 98%.
    So why do only some of us have this ability?

The genes of broccoli haters

On average, about 70% of us can taste something bitter in broccoli or PTC, but those with two copies of the bitter sensitivity gene are closer to 20%, and they are much more likely to hate it.

Scientists have known for a while that the gene hTAS2R38 plays a role in how bitter we perceive certain foods Ė such as broccoli and other cruciferous vegetables (cauliflower, bok choy and Brussels sprouts are also on that list).

The people with variations in gene hTAS2R38 taste these vegetables as bitter and horrible Ė whilst those with different variations in their genes donít.
    This is somewhat similar to what happens with coriander haters, because to 13% of the population coriander tastes soapy. A different genetic allele (also called a variation) rs72921001 has been implicated in this case.

So take your guilt trip and shove it!
    "Some velvet morning when I'm straight"

As a kid I hated all vegetables, all my mother could get me to eat was an occasional carrot piece or celery stalk with salt. I still don't like vegetables, but my husband does and they are good for you, so we have them with steak, lamb chops, ribs, etc. I like a little bit of broccoli crowns in my salad (on the rare occasion I eat a salad), and will make a mix of broccoli and cauliflower to eat as a side dish sometimes. Still don't eat enough fruit or vegetables, but I'm in my mid-60s and doing okay so far.

I hated most everything when I was a child. Since my teens though, I began to love everything, especially vegetables!

Quote Originally Posted by SeaBreeze View Post
    I like a little bit of broccoli crowns in my salad (on the rare occasion I eat a salad), and will make a mix of broccoli and cauliflower to eat as a side dish sometimes. Still don't eat enough fruit or vegetables, but I'm in my mid-60s and doing okay so far.
    I can eat broccoli as long as it's fixed in such a way that I can't taste the broccoli. Like broccoli and cheese with about twice as much melted cheese as broccoli. Or the Chinese take out broccoli dish where the broccoli is swimming in garlic sauce. Cauliflower I just can't hack at all. One time when I was about 7 or 8 years old my mother tried to tried to trick me into eating it by mashing it up so it looked like mashed potatoes, which I loved. I looked at it, and I was a bit suspicious, but when I asked her if it was mashed potatoes she said "yes". So I took a bite. That was the only bite I took.

Oh I totally agree with the no fat, low fat designer foods. Never bought into them. I buy the real thing or nothing. Everyone is more obese than ever. No sodas here either.

I think that's true of most all when they were young and picky eaters.. I'm more like my mom now at my late age and have been for years, love just about all foods. Will try anything once.

I hope my grandson learns acquires a taste for veggies, it could sure help constipation issue.

I went thru a lot of life constipated, believe I ate just too many carbs. And beef.

I like broccoli. I mostly eat them cooked as a substitute for a starch (such as rice, bread, potatoes) with a meal. There's a restaurant here that has a menu for diabetics using broccoli that way.

There a two ways I like cauliflower the best. One way is you heat up your frying with with a little cooking oil, and you break up your cauliflower into little pieces and fry it with bread crumbs until the breadcrumbs are cooked and browned along with the cauliflower pieces. Yum.

I also really like cauliflower as a salad marinated with vinegar and add what you like with the vinegar. You can find recipes online.

Now brussel sprouts I have never liked. Maybe I just haven't eaten them with a good recipe. Maybe I should try that some day.
    Sing, sing a song. Make it simple to last your whole life long - The Carpenters

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia View Post
    Now brussel sprouts I have never liked. Maybe I just haven't eaten them with a good recipe. Maybe I should try that some day.
    My husband will make Brussels sprouts by grilling them in the oven. He uses frozen ones, seasons them and adds olive oil, when they're softened, he'll slice them in half and add more seasonings and oil. They come out tender and tasty, brown on the outside.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaBreeze View Post
    My husband will make Brussels sprouts by grilling them in the oven. He uses frozen ones, seasons them and adds olive oil, when they're softened, he'll slice them in half and add more seasonings and oil. They come out tender and tasty, brown on the outside.
    Those are delightful and so tasty. I have done this way once, but more work than I can stand up for. I like Brussel Sprouts otherwise too. j

I was given a choice as a child eat broccoli or be locked in the basement until I turned 18. I missed my brothers and sisters.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.