Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Inexpensive Simple 'Smartphone' Recommendations?

Sea Breeze if you want or need to have a conversation about your options or need to bounce ideas around, I’m happy to pm you my number.
    Everything is always OK in the end. If it's not, then it's not the end!

Quote Originally Posted by Ronni View Post
    I second the notion of getting an unlocked phone, which simply means a phone that isn't tied to any particular carrier or network. When you buy a phone from a specific carrier, it only works with that carrier, meaning that if you find a better service deal somewhere else, you will likely have to buy a new phone for the new carrier. Beware though, even an unlocked phone will only work on a GSM network. Some examples of GSM service providers are AT&T, T Mobile, Cricket, Metro PCS, Simple Mobile and Tracfone.

I use my smart phone extensively for everything, as I've mentioned elsewhere. I've shopped around for the best deals on phones and on service providers, and for me that includes things like service coverage. I want my phone to work anywhere I am, which includes when Ron and I go on our little adventures to out of the way places. Anyway, the best bang for the buck in my experience is Cricket Wireless. There's no annual contract, no hidden fees, no overages. You pay month to month and can cancel with no penalty at any time. For your needs, I believe you can get 2GB of High speed data for $30 a month. Cricket recently merged with AT&T so their coverage is now extensive.

If you'd prefer to get a phone from the carrier, they have a current deal of an iPhone 6S for $99 if you transfer your current number, or $199 if you want a new number. I had a 6 for several years, and the camera quality is much better than most of the phones out there if that's a draw for you. If you'd rather not get an Apple, they have numerous other Android phones, and the smart phones start at $20 depending on whether or not you transfer your current number of get a new phone.

Here's the link I'm looking at right now. It's the cricket site. The link will take you directly to smartphones, but once you get there, click on plans and features and anything else you want information on.
    https://www.cricketwireless.com/cell-phones/smartphones
    Actually, you can buy an unlocked phone that will work on the CDMA network. Each phone will work on its designated network. There are many that will work on each one, but most phones will not work on both.

Look on Amazon and you will see that there are unlocked phones that are designated to work on one or the other. Most of the big cell phone makers make both a GSM and a CDMA version of their phones. You just have to choose one that will work on the network you want.

My T-Mobile was under $50.00 at Walmart and $35.00 monthly, but only 30. if you set up auto pay with a CC. It takes simple photos and can text. I hate texting. I don't need to store files on a phone...I have laptop for that. In fact, I don't even need a "smart phone", don't know why I even bought it.

Well, I went out today and stopped at Target, I bought 2 phones at $79.99 each and signed up with Consumer Cellular, the plan with 250 min. talk/text per month and 2 GB of data. The phone I picked was a Motorola MOTO E5 Play. The cost per month should be $40+, they're going to bill me by regular mail.

I guess next I'll have to use the phone to sign up for a Google account and a Gmail email address for both phones. The phone has prompts to do it. I watched a video on it and they ask for date of birth, not happy about all the personal info asked by everyone just to use their products, but that's the way things are these days.

Thanks again to everyone who gave their thoughts and advice.

SB I have a Motorola Moto 3G. Got it 2 yrs ago thru Consumer Cellular for $150. Unlimited talk/text and 2.0 GB of data. I like it...yours is a newer model. When I upgrade I'd like a larger screen, but overall I'm pleased with the phone and customer support. My bill is $32/mo. which includes a $5 AARP discount.

Thanks AC, good to know. They asked my about my AARP membership, but I never joined. I was playing around with it a little today, setting a ringtone from their selection, couldn't stand the voice that said something like 'hello moto', lol. Odd using the touch screen, I never had a device where I had to use one, it'll take a little getting used to. The screens on mine are supposed to be 5.2".

Well done SeaBreeze, I hope you get used to it quickly.

Mike.
    A Scot Living in England.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.