Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Live longer....with alcohol ?

Live longer....with alcohol ?

Heard on the news just this morning that now the studies say.....that the key to longer life may well be moderate amounts of alcohol & caffeine .

Web-Md is also now saying that being overweight [not obese] in our 70's may be the key to longer life as well.

What to believe???? I wish the hell they would make up their minds.

I used to freely partake of it but hardly use it anymore. But I do have a mug of coffee every morning.
    John

Stuck inside of Mobile, with the Memphis Blues again.
    "Some velvet morning when I'm straight"

Quote Originally Posted by Trade View Post

LOL...it's an acquired taste I suppose....and living in the jungle with a chimp....he's not likely to acquire it.

Uh huh!

I have pretty much stopped drinking since I started taking insulin, not a safe combination.

I wish that the experts would get busy and find a reason why smoking cigarettes would be good for me!

I enjoy a Millers High Life beer with lunch and a cocktail every late afternoon.
    We are either growing or dying.

Quote Originally Posted by rgp View Post
    Heard on the news just this morning that now the studies say.....that the key to longer life may well be moderate amounts of alcohol & caffeine.
    Alcohol..in moderation..does have some benefits. The French, for example, have a very low rate of heart disease, and most studies have shown that this is a benefit of having a glass of red wine with their evening meal. A couple of cups of coffee throughout the day also seems to have a positive effect. The problems occur when a person sits around drinking several beers a day, and allows their belly to grow accordingly. Almost every senior will put on some pounds as they grow older, but if they can keep the weight down to just a few percentage points above ideal, it doesn't seem to harm.
    I've been in the habit of drinking a shot of flavored Vodka in the evening, about an hour before bedtime...and that, for me, is the best way I've found to get a good nights sleep.
    Things get better with age....I'm approaching Magnificent.

Quote Originally Posted by Don M. View Post
    Alcohol..in moderation..does have some benefits. The French, for example, have a very low rate of heart disease, and most studies have shown that this is a benefit of having a glass of red wine with their evening meal. A couple of cups of coffee throughout the day also seems to have a positive effect. The problems occur when a person sits around drinking several beers a day, and allows their belly to grow accordingly. Almost every senior will put on some pounds as they grow older, but if they can keep the weight down to just a few percentage points above ideal, it doesn't seem to harm.
    I've been in the habit of drinking a shot of flavored Vodka in the evening, about an hour before bedtime...and that, for me, is the best way I've found to get a good nights sleep.

Not arguing, as I have no real knowledge in that area but. I have also heard that the wine has little to do with it. What I read leans toward vastly different farming practices , no, or much less preservatives , no growth hormones etc.....?

How long do you want to Live? The oldest man at 112 just died, Richard Overston, smoked cigars and drank some booze. If I run out of money and can't take care of myself, I don't want to be around. I don't smoke or drink and use supplements to get my 8+ hrs of sleep.

At Christmas 2017 my husband bought me a bottle of vodka, as he knows I sometimes like a splash of it in lemonade. I had a bit left from another bottle. THAT is long gone, and I have yet to open the new one. So, I guess I am not a good test subject on that theory.
    If there's a Rock and Roll heaven, you know they have a hell of a band.

I had quit drinking alcohol for years, but a little more than a year ago I started occasionally drinking wine, then moved away from it then started drinking beer again. Now I'm leaning toward drinking less beer. I find that when I drink it too often, I start feeling sluggish. As far as what the experts say about caffeine and alcohol consumption, ask ten different people and you'll get ten different answers!

If visiting my sister in La. I will have a crown and coke while she has her Jack and coke. At home maybe a little Irish creme in my last cup of coffee for the day. I really don't care to live much over 80 if I don't have quality of life.

Most here know that I like good scotch and gin & tonics now and then but since falling off a ladder and getting a concussion back in late July I haven't touched a drop of alcohol.....kinda figured that with the dizziness associated with the concussion I didn't need alcohol to impede the brain healing process.

For the most part (90%) the dizziness has all but disappeared but it still gets me every once in awhile if I move my head quickly up or down.......at this rate I figure that by late spring or early summer I'll feel comfortable enough again to have an adult beverage or three.

Quote Originally Posted by AZ Jim View Post
    I enjoy a Millers High Life beer with lunch and a cocktail every late afternoon.
    I'm of the same mind but just beer. The odd time liquor. I sample beer from around the world. Right now I am a fan of Polish beer, with Holland beer in second place.

I think I might be the oldest poster on the forum. In Roman numerals. LXXXV. I'm X rated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.