Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Pros and Cons of Senior "Co-Housing", Like The Golden Girls

I think I'm in Florida, but I'm not sure any more......my GPS blew away.
    Damn, it's hard losing a spouse after 30-40-50 years. That's been your life and all of a sudden it's gone. We had 37 good years together and then he was gone in a flash.

My late sister and I had always planned on having side-by-side rocking chairs at the Home for Poor Old Ladies one of these days, still complaining about our husbands and our kids and planning our next escape. Alas, was not to be......due to the actions of someone who decided it was OK to drink and drive.
    If we're ever in a situation where I am "the voice of reason", then we are in a very, very bad situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
    I think that it could be a great option for some folks and absolute hell for me.

I will go it alone for as long as possible then crawl into an assisted living facility and wait impatiently for a ride to the cemetery.
    Me, too, Aunt Bea.

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    Me, too, Aunt Bea.
    Im the same! I have room for at least two roommates and it would be nice to get some help around here but I couldn’t do it.

Im too ocd and maybe a control freak too...at least in my house!

Thats why I haven’t moved to my daughter’s yet...I’m waiting for them to downsize in 3-4 years and buy a home with a mother in law or casita. That’s the plan.

After my husband died, a year later I met someone from Ohio and he moved in with me. I just couldn’t adjust although it was great to have someone as handy around the house as he was but he was also not as neat as I am. Although we weren’t getting along but when he left even though I was crying my eyes out I couldn’t wait for him to get all his junk out of the house..so it was a bitter/sweet day.

I can only think of one person I could live with and she’s in Romania and I’ve lost track of her.

She was a widow and a few years younger than me. When we lived in Hungary she became my live in Housekeeper (not expensive there) but we also became very good friends.

Her name was Piroska.

Co-habitation as young people is not the same as when we are in our silver years. We are set in our ways and to co-exist with another that is set in their way usually does not work.

I dunno. Can't imagine that two (or more) grown women who've each had their own households could peacefully co-exist under the same roof. In my case, I have my own space separate from DD/DSIL's and with my own entrance so it's okay. If I had to actually live in their house, or in a house with any other adults, I don't think it would be a success.

A funny...my space is down a back hall across from the laundry room. DD's office (she works from home) is upstairs on the other side of the house. When we "talk" to each other, it's almost always via text or call (except at suppertime) because it's "too far" to walk over there or for her to walk over here. LOL
    Retired. Nowhere to go and plenty of time to get there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.