View Poll Results: Would you...

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Plaster on a smile and pretend it doesn’t matter ?

2 13.33%
  • Confront them and ask them why they would do that?

0 0%
  • Realize that not all people value handmade items the same and try and be more understanding.

13 86.67%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Made a Gift for Someone and They Gave it Away

Oh Keesha, what she did was terrible. I guess I would have kept my thoughts to myself but I certainly would have been hurt. I think many times people don't realize the work involved. I hear this from my son all the time with his cabinetry business. People drop by the shop and ask him to cut a piece of wood or do a small job. He said they don't realize he has to stop what he is doing and set up the saw just for their little project. My Uncle and Grandpa were woodcarvers also and I certainly know what is involved so I want you to know if I were given a piece like that I'd cherish it and let people know that you thought enough to create something so nice just for me.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaBreeze View Post
    If I did that with someone's gift, I would try my best to make sure they didn't find out, because I wouldn't want to hurt their feelings. I guess she didn't give a reason why she gave it away, or did she?
    Yes she gave a reason. This woman who she just met for the first time was so nice to her during her visit that she wanted to give something back to her in return. In ‘her’ mind it was a generous thing to do on HER part.
    It was meant to hurt, no doubt.

I am surprised that you were told the next day. It would be polite for him or her not to tell you.
    I would say nothing (unless you are very close) and never create another
    gift for her. I don't think you are too sensitive.

That was a nice shoehorn, Keesha. It's a shame she didn't need it. I too, am curious why she told you.

No, you're not being too sensitive. I would be insulted and would not ever make or give this person anything again.

she obviously gives no consideration for your feelings...sad

I always thought hand made gifts were made from the heart... not everyone has the talent to make things with their hands. Sorry your feelings were hurt this christmas. So, I wonder where all those gifts I have made over the years have ended up?

In the Chattahoochee National Forest in NE Georgia.
    Keesha, I would never have given away your beautiful gift.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruth n Jersey View Post
    Oh Keesha, what she did was terrible. I guess I would have kept my thoughts to myself but I certainly would have been hurt. I think many times people don't realize the work involved. I hear this from my son all the time with his cabinetry business. People drop by the shop and ask him to cut a piece of wood or do a small job. He said they don't realize he has to stop what he is doing and set up the saw just for their little project. My Uncle and Grandpa were woodcarvers also and I certainly know what is involved so I want you to know if I were given a piece like that I'd cherish it and let people know that you thought enough to create something so nice just for me.
    Thank you Ruth,
    Yes, you are very right, adjusting tools to personal preferences or new work can be quite time consuming. Luckily this rarely happens to me because nobody ever just drops by like that cause I don’t allow it. I hate surprise visits. Another reason is that most of the tools I use don’t need much adjusting. I mostly use my lathe, scroll saw, bandsaw and sanders.

The only major tool that needs the most adjustment(s) is the table saw and I’m not allowed to use it. My husband doesn’t let me and it’s not at all from competency issues. It’s because I have PSTD and I easily jump and screech loudly when startled due to the disorder. Jumping /screeching with such tools is extremely dangerous so if anyone is bothering anyone while they are working , it’s usually ME bothering my husband.

Tablesaws can KICK BACK and there SHOULD be fear which I respect.

I understand handmade things aren’t for everyone. That’s perfectly understandable and I am civilized enough to not express my true thoughts to this person vocally but I WILL let them know through my future actions that it was unacceptable. This person won’t ever receive anything from me ever again. This isn’t the first time I’ve been publicly snubbed for her personal pleasure but it WILL BE THE LAST!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.