Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Steps......Have you moved to avoid climbing steps to your residence?

I'm at the age where I can safely take steps, but I never cared for a house that had too many staircases, especially outdoors, just because it's such a hassle carrying up loads of groceries or other items. I lived on the 3rd floor of an apartment building as a kid, and before we were married we lived in a few apartments where you had some stairs.

Once we were ready to buy our first home, we both agreed on ranch style. Our first house had no basement so there were no stairs, except the step before the front door. Our house now is ranch, but it has a basement, the staircase is carpeted with walls on either side and a banister on the left, so it's pretty safe. I don't imaging I'll have any difficulties with age going down to do laundry or other things, unless I have some type of injury.

I just visited a friend who lives in house where their living space, meaning bedrooms and main bathrooms are upstairs. He just had a stair lift installed. He is not real happy with it. It is unbelievably slow and very awkward to get in and out of. He has had it for a relatively short period of time, but uncertain if they will be able to tolerate it. He may have to sell his beautiful property yet. He has very tall ceilings with means a lot of steps and a staircase that is very steep.
    I came into this world with nothing and
    I'm not leaving anything behind.

We downsized, and moved into a onehouse.jpg level, my wife is on a walker, I put aluminum ramps in the garage , and down the patio, wife comes in the house thru the garage, she can still drive, the only drawback has been, we moved down here from a 3000 sq. ft. home

Yes, we moved out of a three bedroom house with a full basement because of the stairs. Stairs up to the entry; steep stairs down to the basement, then stairs up to ground level in the yard. We live in Canada where it is difficult to find a house without a basement. We bought a mobile home with 4 steps up to the entry and then I built a ramp up to the deck for our mobility scooters and walkers. Works well for us.

TIMETVLR, Good for you!

Thanks for responding. I never even considered the possibility of the need for a mobility scooter, access to it and storage of it. Thanks for responding.
    I came into this world with nothing and
    I'm not leaving anything behind.

When we retired (and relocated to a different state), we moved from a five-bedroom, three story house to a three bedroom ranch. Single floor living was definitely a priority in choosing our new home. The day may come when we can no longer live here, but I don't want the reason to be because of something as trivial as stairs.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.