Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Steps......Have you moved to avoid climbing steps to your residence?

Sold a house last year ... no stairs .. not an issue in the move. Now I'm in a senior apartment complex on the 3rd floor. Have elevators in several areas of the complex, and one just around the corner from my unit.

That's great, but power has gone out a couple times since my move here last March. So I have found myself (and doggy) going down three (actually four) flights of stairs to go for walks. Go figure!

I bought this newly built house in 2005 hoping it will be my last residence. The builder rep told me that now there is a law that newly built houses have to be "handicap accessible" or something like that. There are no steps from my driveway to my front door, all the door handles are levers, and the hallway is wide enough for a wheelchair. There is a small step down to the back porch, I don't know why that is so. I suppose it would be easy to make a ramp there. I wouldn't want to live in a place with many stories, even if there's an elevator, for reasons of fire and also because of what Bonnie said above, in case of fire and power failures elevators cannot be used.

Part of retirement planning was to buy a ranch style home. No steps & easy access to window cleaning. 3 bedrooms, 2 full baths, 2 car garage, stucco exterior & tile roof. Warm dry climate in anticipation of old age arthritis.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.