Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 38

Knee Surgery for Seniors can do more Harm than Good

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Santa Monica CA
    Posts
    5,845
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    I'm another person who has had wonderful results with my hip replacements, and my sister is another, so I guess there are at least three of us.

    Actually, I think the truth is that a huge number of people have great results, but we don't hear much from them because they are just getting on with their lives.
    We're all getting on with our lives, only some are more damaged from these jobs.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Santa Monica CA
    Posts
    5,845
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruth n Jersey View Post
    yes I do. I sandwich my knee between two pads. 20 minutes on,20 minutes off. Some people ice knees but heat seems to work for me. I think it is because my problem is more about the surrounding area than the joint itself. I dislocated my knee a few years back and tore the meniscus. It never really healed correctly . I had physical therapy for it several times but it doesn't help much.
    Thanks I've been doing this too as the inside of my right knee is the worst, like a lot of soft tissue damage from being pushed to walk in the rehabs with a staph infection going on, long ugly story.

    Plus ice is for more acute injuries vs chronic I believe.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    12,967
    Jaminhealth, I am sorry that you have had an adverse result from your operation. I am aware that not everybody is not well served by surgery, which is why it should be the last resort.

    My husband has had bad experiences with some of his operations, including one knee replacement that had to be redone two weeks after the surgery. Apparently the first appliance was not big enough to support his weight and it kept dislocating. The final result is satisfactory now but at the time it was hellish. He did not have the same surgeon that did my hip and knee operations. He has also had a back operation where the surgeon damaged a nerve and it has left him with a dropped foot and he has to wear a brace.

    IMO his bad outcomes have two causes. The first is that he is very heavy and the second is that his doctors for some reason failed to take this into account when preparing for the procedures. Sometimes it is just bad luck, and I have been lucky five times to have had excellent doctors, including my general practitioner who guided me in their selection.
    We still think of a powerful man as a born leader
    and a powerful woman as an anomaly - Margaret Atwood.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Santa Monica CA
    Posts
    5,845
    Quote Originally Posted by Warrigal View Post
    Jaminhealth, I am sorry that you have had an adverse result from your operation. I am aware that not everybody is not well served by surgery, which is why it should be the last resort.

    My husband has had bad experiences with some of his operations, including one knee replacement that had to be redone two weeks after the surgery. Apparently the first appliance was not big enough to support his weight and it kept dislocating. The final result is satisfactory now but at the time it was hellish. He did not have the same surgeon that did my hip and knee operations. He has also had a back operation where the surgeon damaged a nerve and it has left him with a dropped foot and he has to wear a brace.

    IMO his bad outcomes have two causes. The first is that he is very heavy and the second is that his doctors for some reason failed to take this into account when preparing for the procedures. Sometimes it is just bad luck, and I have been lucky five times to have had excellent doctors, including my general practitioner who guided me in their selection.
    I was thinking about your situation with 5 replacements and no problems/issues. What entered my mind is that you've had so many done that your body is more balanced out with the appliances. You must have had pretty bad issues to have all those replacements. I'm sure if you have my issues you would be getting a replacement. Maybe it's done more too in social medicine countries.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Santa Monica CA
    Posts
    5,845
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruth n Jersey View Post
    yes I do. I sandwich my knee between two pads. 20 minutes on,20 minutes off. Some people ice knees but heat seems to work for me. I think it is because my problem is more about the surrounding area than the joint itself. I dislocated my knee a few years back and tore the meniscus. It never really healed correctly . I had physical therapy for it several times but it doesn't help much.
    I started doing this since discussed here and I can feel an easing of pain in the side of knee -- from an article on ice or heat.



    • Arthritis: Heat wins for arthritis and injuries that linger more than six weeks. “Patients with more chronic osteoarthritis usually feel better with heat,” says rheumatologist Linda Mileti, MD. But for acute gout flares, she favors ice.

    My issue is chronic. Thanks for mentioning this.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    12,967
    Quote Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
    I was thinking about your situation with 5 replacements and no problems/issues. What entered my mind is that you've had so many done that your body is more balanced out with the appliances. You must have had pretty bad issues to have all those replacements. I'm sure if you have my issues you would be getting a replacement. Maybe it's done more too in social medicine countries.
    I have private medical insurance that is partly subsidised by the national government to make is more affordable. This insurance paid for the private hospital and the rehabilitation hospital. There were out of pocket gap payments for the surgeons and anaesthetists after rebates from my health fund and Medicare, our universal health scheme.

    Since I am on a part aged care pension, I am bulk billed for a lot of services such as X rays, scans, pathology and GP services. This means that all I do is show my pension card and there is nothing to pay. I just have to sign a form to allow the doctor to be paid through Medicare. Health care over here is a mixture of free public services and subsidised private care. It does seem like the orthopedic surgeons are doing well, with no shortage of patients.
    We still think of a powerful man as a born leader
    and a powerful woman as an anomaly - Margaret Atwood.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    948
    I had my left knee scoped back in the ‘80’s. Then, in 2012, I had my knee treated with an ingredient called Synvisc. I got one injection per week for three consecutive weeks. (This stuff is made from the combs on roosters.) Then, in 2017, I had it scoped again. So, now I am looking at a knee replacement if things should go down hill again.

    The surgeon told me that each time the knee is scoped, (arthroscope), vital cartilage is removed. From that I took that if I had my knee scoped twice, I had a lot of cartilage removed. The surgeon told me that my knee is now bone on bone.
    "Nothing good happens after 2:00 a.m."

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    2,842
    Perhaps the body wasn't meant to be cut, BUT, for many, to alleviate pain, surgery is the only way to go. When I had hip replacement in 2005, it was the very best thing I could have done. No more limp and I was back using our boat and going to the Range with my wife. My rodeo/roping days had ended five years earlier, basically due to lack of money and selling my horse.

    I know how you feel about surgeries, Jaminhealth, but for my of the young and old/older, it's definitely the only way to go.
    Love Rocky Mountain And Yellowstone National Parks

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Santa Monica CA
    Posts
    5,845
    Quote Originally Posted by 911 View Post
    I had my left knee scoped back in the ‘80’s. Then, in 2012, I had my knee treated with an ingredient called Synvisc. I got one injection per week for three consecutive weeks. (This stuff is made from the combs on roosters.) Then, in 2017, I had it scoped again. So, now I am looking at a knee replacement if things should go down hill again.

    The surgeon told me that each time the knee is scoped, (arthroscope), vital cartilage is removed. From that I took that if I had my knee scoped twice, I had a lot of cartilage removed. The surgeon told me that my knee is now bone on bone.
    That's correct everytime it's scoped, we lose cartilage....so best to try to live with what is. I had a scoping a year or so ago after an infection was finally found and I was on abx IV's but they still did the scope and I swear my knee is way worse. makes me absolutely sick.

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Santa Monica CA
    Posts
    5,845
    Quote Originally Posted by 911 View Post
    I had my left knee scoped back in the ‘80’s. Then, in 2012, I had my knee treated with an ingredient called Synvisc. I got one injection per week for three consecutive weeks. (This stuff is made from the combs on roosters.) Then, in 2017, I had it scoped again. So, now I am looking at a knee replacement if things should go down hill again.

    The surgeon told me that each time the knee is scoped, (arthroscope), vital cartilage is removed. From that I took that if I had my knee scoped twice, I had a lot of cartilage removed. The surgeon told me that my knee is now bone on bone.
    That's correct everytime it's scoped, we lose cartilage....so best to try to live with what is. I had a scoping a year or so ago after an infection was finally found and I was on abx IV's but they still did the scope and I swear my knee is way worse. makes me absolutely sick.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Santa Monica CA
    Posts
    5,845
    Quote Originally Posted by ClassicRockr View Post
    Perhaps the body wasn't meant to be cut, BUT, for many, to alleviate pain, surgery is the only way to go. When I had hip replacement in 2005, it was the very best thing I could have done. No more limp and I was back using our boat and going to the Range with my wife. My rodeo/roping days had ended five years earlier, basically due to lack of money and selling my horse.

    I know how you feel about surgeries, Jaminhealth, but for my of the young and old/older, it's definitely the only way to go.
    That's right I feel it should be VERY LAST RESORT, an emergency or the like, and when I finally did my THR I went in with positive thoughts that I would come out much improved, didn't happen for me. I live with 4 major complications. I'm 80 so maybe I'll make it to my end with what is. Still want to check out more Prolo for the knee. Could use it on whole body but funds prevent this NOW. Maybe if insurance ever helps this type of healing, I'll do more, like back.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Milford,OH
    Posts
    1,696
    Straying from [knees] I know, yet along the same line.

    Have any of you ever had, or considered, laser-spine surgery for chronic back pain. I watch their TV ads....they make it sound so inviting & simple.

    Of course that's the ad-man's job I know. But.....looking for pain relief tends to make one a-bit [desperate] ?

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Santa Monica CA
    Posts
    5,845
    Quote Originally Posted by rgp View Post
    Straying from [knees] I know, yet along the same line.

    Have any of you ever had, or considered, laser-spine surgery for chronic back pain. I watch their TV ads....they make it sound so inviting & simple.

    Of course that's the ad-man's job I know. But.....looking for pain relief tends to make one a-bit [desperate] ?
    Do you have a link on this laser surgery? I have a lot of pain and stiffness BUT desperate -- not for back surgery. I'm going to start taking cayenne capsules with each meal now to help with pain -- I've taken cayenne over the years for blood pressure and also use it for cooking but found enough info on cayenne and back pain, so going with it for a while. Price is right.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Nov 2017
    Location
    Milford,OH
    Posts
    1,696
    Quote Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
    Do you have a link on this laser surgery? I have a lot of pain and stiffness BUT desperate -- not for back surgery. I'm going to start taking cayenne capsules with each meal now to help with pain -- I've taken cayenne over the years for blood pressure and also use it for cooking but found enough info on cayenne and back pain, so going with it for a while. Price is right.

    I didn't mean desperate for surgery..I meant desperate for pain relief. However that desperation could lead to surgery......When nothing else has worked.

    If you have been taking cayenne for BP, & cooking with it?...are you sure [more] has any chance of helping with pain?

    As for the link?...No, it is just something I have seen on TV.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Santa Monica CA
    Posts
    5,845
    Yes, I add it to my soups but I'm not taking a LOT as in the capsules on a regular basis.

    Just got a tip from a friend on OA pain and stiffness and he mentions Devils Claw as it's similar to the drug Vioxx that was taken off the market years ago. From Arthritis Foundation on Devils Claw

    https://www.arthritis.org/living-wit...evils-claw.php

    I'm going to jump on Devils Claw. I've never taken it, but took Cats Claw years ago and thought they were the same, but they are not.

    I sure would NOT do a back surgery. And my pain issues are pretty nasty.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.

Similar Threads

  1. "Helicopter" Parenting Doing More Harm Than Good? What is Your Opinion?
    By SeaBreeze in forum Current News and Hot Topics
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 12-21-2018, 02:38 PM
  2. Sticky hydrogel could revolutionize knee surgery
    By sargentodiaz in forum Health
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-26-2018, 04:49 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-09-2018, 03:41 AM
  4. Knee exercises for seniors!
    By kburra in forum Humor
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-07-2018, 11:05 PM
  5. Replies: 9
    Last Post: 08-13-2013, 11:12 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Family & Health Forums: Pet Forums - Health Forum