Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Knee Surgery for Seniors can do more Harm than Good

My dad had a hip replaced in the late 60s with zero side affects. It neve bothered him.

Quote Originally Posted by fmdog44 View Post
    My dad had a hip replaced in the late 60s with zero side affects. It neve bothered him.
    Wish I could say that.

FYI, my lovely Significant Other had a total knee replacement this morning. The hospital here in the west valley (Phoenix area) does about 1,100 of these a year. It is robotically assisted surgery, and 98% of the patients do just fine. I'm headed back to the hospital now since she should be out or post-op recovery in an hour or so.

Have a great day!

Now the real work begins, major rehab, getting that knee to bend and get straight out.

Knee replacements are probably #1 replacements done in the U.S. Good luck with that rehab and new knee.

As an update, my lovely SO had the staples removed from the incisions today. The incision was at least 12" long, so lots of staples. She is having home based physical therapy - started last week, then this week and next, at a minimum.

I appreciate the comments posted on knee replacements. It seems some turn out well while others are pain for no result.
    However all don`t mean very much unless the patients age is shown. Go for it if you are a young 50 to 70 yrs old but be careful if your older. My docs say if you are older it takes longer to recover and you may never.

REmist, you are right about age being a factor. I am about to turn 76 and I have had a series of joint replacements in the past 4 years because I want to get them out of the way while I am still healing well, and mentally and physically able to benefit from physiotherapy. All have been successful in eliminating pain and restoring mobility. I have been very lucky.

This year I am having my cataracts attended to but with this procedure age is not so critical. Still, who wants to go blind before doing something about it?
    We still think of a powerful man as a born leader
    and a powerful woman as an anomaly - Margaret Atwood.

Quote Originally Posted by REmist View Post
    I appreciate the comments posted on knee replacements. It seems some turn out well while others are pain for no result.
    However all don`t mean very much unless the patients age is shown. Go for it if you are a young 50 to 70 yrs old but be careful if your older. My docs say if you are older it takes longer to recover and you may never.
    It's interesting that when these replacements first started it was the OLD people and their damaged joints...now people in their 40's + are doing them. So could be the younger ones are having better results. Most of the people I know who did them are 60+ and just talking to a friend who has had horrible issues for well over a year with his replacement has gone thru nerve ablation, burning the nerves...I'd never do that. He's so sick of his outcome.

I'm 80 and my knee is pretty damaged and so fear a worse outcome if I did one.

I'm still looking at more Prolotherapy for the knee.

Cataracts, I don't have that issue as I take eye supplements to keep eyes in good helath.

I work to AVOID all surgeries...ALLL of them. That's why I love supplements, we can do so much to avoid surgeries with the supplement world and all they offer us.

One last follow up - my 73 y/o Significant other is now about 7 weeks past surgery. Started out patient rehab, which will continue for 6 weeks or so, a couple of times a week. The first few weeks were really, really painful for her because she also has fibro mialgia and RLS, But she is past that now, and is doing very well. She does say she will not have the other knee done under any circumstances because of the pain, but I think that belief may be softened as her knee and her mobility improve.

She has started taking a daily dose of CBD oil to help with the pain. No way of knowing if it helps or not.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.