Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Remembering things with fondness from days gone by

I think every house here has a washing line. Some older houses have communal 'drying greens' - an area with lines for common use.

I miss (although some still exist) the good old hardware shops where you could buy things in the quantity you wanted - not boxed or 'bubble packed'.
    We're not here for a long time. We're here for a good time

Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    I still have a clothes line, too. There are some things I don't want to put in the dryer. Using the clothes line always reminds me of my mother. There's something comforting about clothes flapping in the sun and breezes.
    Quote Originally Posted by hollydolly View Post
    I agree with you Butterfly...on a sunny day there's something very comforting about seeing sheets drying on the line in the sun.
    Ditto..We have one.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Lightning View Post
    I think every house here has a washing line. Some older houses have communal 'drying greens' - an area with lines for common use.

I miss (although some still exist) the good old hardware shops where you could buy things in the quantity you wanted - not boxed or 'bubble packed'.
    We have 2 within 10 minutes drive of our house... One is a family business been in the town for about 50 years..

I notice that my local hardware store is up for sale (owner retiring). This is a farming area and there are plenty of stores to support the farming and building industries. I can buy most things at a good price, but usually in larger quantities than I want. There are fewer shops that cater for the casual DIY person who only wants small quantities.
    We're not here for a long time. We're here for a good time

Quote Originally Posted by Capt Lightning View Post
    I notice that my local hardware store is up for sale (owner retiring). This is a farming area and there are plenty of stores to support the farming and building industries. I can buy most things at a good price, but usually in larger quantities than I want. There are fewer shops that cater for the casual DIY person who only wants small quantities.
    yes we also live in a farming area, but close enough to a market town to make things simple for shopping. although much of it is changing rapidly..

My grandmother would hand-make everything she sent for Christmas. Cloth dolls, fudge, peanut brittle, afghans, knitted gloves and hats, embroidery on pillowcases, and Maple Syrup from her own trees. She lived in upstate NY. Everything would come delivered in a gigantic box every year. The anticipation was so exciting.

Dime stores.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.